Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2006

Version 7.

I am revising a large doc. What I have done is make changes without opening the units, as I prefer to leave updating teh TM as a separate task.

So I start at the beginning, click open, and translate to fuzzy, and Trados stops when it sees a unit that has been changed (i.e. it's different from teh one recorded in the TM).

It tells me to GET if I want the unit in the TM, bit of course I don't, becuase I have edited it.

So far I have si
... See more
Version 7.

I am revising a large doc. What I have done is make changes without opening the units, as I prefer to leave updating teh TM as a separate task.

So I start at the beginning, click open, and translate to fuzzy, and Trados stops when it sees a unit that has been changed (i.e. it's different from teh one recorded in the TM).

It tells me to GET if I want the unit in the TM, bit of course I don't, becuase I have edited it.

So far I have simply clicked translate to fuzzy, but does this in fact update the memory, or must I first click SET?

So I experimented, I opened a changed unit, clicked translate to fuzzy, then opened it again to see if it went green, indicating that the TM had been updated. No it hadn't been.

SO I opened the same unit again (yellow, indicating it was different from the TM unit), clicked SET/CLOSE, then opened it again, and to my surprise, it's still not green.***

What's going on?

And just to see if I can clarify things: if I edit a text, then clean it up without going thru the SET process for each change, does Trados update the TM AND replace previous 'erroneous' translations of the same units?

I hope I'm making myself clear....Yes, I know my way of going about thie editing process is unwieldy, but translating to fuzzy and seeing Trados shooting off away down a text scares me, as I am afraid of error, especially with numbers and so on:-). So I prefer to manually control what's going on in the text.

TIA:-)

Note: I have just tested a few units, and some of the edited units are updated in the TM once I have clicked SET, BUT OTHERS NO! Why is this happening?

[Edited at 2006-09-16 12:27]

[Edited at 2006-09-16 12:27]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Cleanup Sep 16, 2006

if I edit a text, then clean it up without going thru the SET process for each change, does Trados update the TM AND replace previous 'erroneous' translations of the same units?

Yes, provided that you select "Update TM". This is the way you should use to update the TM, going through the segments manually is unnecessary.

As for your other questions, I'm not sure what happens.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Sep 16, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum for all issues related to SDL Trados.

Thanks, Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
updating TM as a separate task Sep 17, 2006

... I prefer to leave updating teh TM as a separate task.

why? A lot, if not all the problems is due to this point: you can't have a cake and eat it too - i.e. you can have a translation memory, that does not remember.

Regards

Vito

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Reorganize Sep 18, 2006

If segments that you know are in the TM do not show up as matches, it may be time to reorganize the TM.

Also, check whether the TM supports Multiple Translations - I strongly recommend to turn this setting OFF unless you know exactly what you're doing.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Oh, and Translate to Next Fuzzy automatically SETs the current TU.

[Edited at 2006-09-18 12:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados commands (open, set, close, etc) - doubts about SET

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »