How to save an *.xtg-file in a format suitable for alignment?
Thread poster: laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
Local time: 08:24
German to French
Sep 11, 2006

Hi!
I would like to know if there is a possibility to save an *.xtg-file (exported QuarkXPress 6.1) in another format so that it can be aligned with WinAlign under Trados 6.5.5 441 (Build 441).

My problem is, that there are some wrong translations in a translation memory. I cannot find them via the Filter because the words are divided into two or more pieces because of returns in the Quark-file they have been exported from. In order to have a correct translation memory, my cu
... See more
Hi!
I would like to know if there is a possibility to save an *.xtg-file (exported QuarkXPress 6.1) in another format so that it can be aligned with WinAlign under Trados 6.5.5 441 (Build 441).

My problem is, that there are some wrong translations in a translation memory. I cannot find them via the Filter because the words are divided into two or more pieces because of returns in the Quark-file they have been exported from. In order to have a correct translation memory, my customer will send me the German Quark-files and the correct English Quark-files so that I can see which translations should be used for future orders. Now I want to find an easy and time-saving way to get these new translations into the memory. My first idea was to open the German *.xtg-file in TagEditor and translate it by entering the English text my customer wishes to be used. But I think this will take very much time. So I thought about aligning the files, i.e. exporting the German and the English *.qxd-file to *.xtg and align them. But there is no possibility to choose *.xtg-files in WinAlign. Is there a way to save *.xtg-files in another format that can be chosen in WinAlign?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
TTX Sep 11, 2006

laurenzze2000 wrote:

My first idea was to open the German *.xtg-file in TagEditor

Good idea. You're almost there.

Is there a way to save *.xtg-files in another format that can be chosen in WinAlign?

Yes, save as .ttx once you've opened the file in TagEditor. TTX is a format that can be chosen in WinAlign. This should work.

HTH,
Benjamin

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TTX Sep 12, 2006

Hello

saving as TTX will not work because the TTX files is not bilingual at the beginning. If you translate the file you don't need to winalign the translation, because you can build you memory on the translation.

Try to open the xtg file as coded text in WinWord and prepare the fioles with search and replace.

Regards

Hans

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
WinAlign can read ttx just fine. Sep 13, 2006

DSC wrote:

saving as TTX will not work because the TTX files is not bilingual at the beginning.
It will work just fine to enable laurrenzze to align his files in WinAlign - I just tried it and it works a treat!

If you translate the file you don't need to winalign the translation, because you can build you memory on the translation.
We know that and I never proposed he translate the file and then align it...

Regards,
Benjamin

laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
ttx works! Sep 13, 2006

Hi Benjamin and Hans,

thank you for your help. Benjamin: Your suggestion to save the *.xtg-file as *.ttx was the solution. I tried to align two *.ttx-files and it works. Thank you!

Ruth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to save an *.xtg-file in a format suitable for alignment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »