Migrating from TM 5.x to TM 7.1
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2006

Hello, everyone!

I recently "migrated" from Trados 5.1 to 7.1 and started experiencing problems using my 5.x glossaries with TW 7.1, which is a definite option if one is to trust (Error 1) the software options.

PROBLEM: Using the Options menu in TW 7.x and selectingTerm Recognition a window appears that allows one to choose either TM 7 or TM 5.x If I select 5.x the terminology manager interacts with TW 7.1 BUT every time I close a translation segment and open a new one
... See more
Hello, everyone!

I recently "migrated" from Trados 5.1 to 7.1 and started experiencing problems using my 5.x glossaries with TW 7.1, which is a definite option if one is to trust (Error 1) the software options.

PROBLEM: Using the Options menu in TW 7.x and selectingTerm Recognition a window appears that allows one to choose either TM 7 or TM 5.x If I select 5.x the terminology manager interacts with TW 7.1 BUT every time I close a translation segment and open a new one, the TM 5.x terminology pops up and becomes the active window and I have to minimize it in order to continue working. This happens with EVERY segment when I translate and close one and get a new one for translation.

Has anyone experienced this and found a fix?

Otherwise, I guess I have to go with Trados' response:

"As you can see in this example, Harold, the trend is to do away with old technology and move forward to the new one. This is basically the solution to the annoying problem you experience with MultiTerm 5. MT5 is an outdated product. While it still can work, when it is used in conjunction with modern SDL Trados 2006, such unfortunate effects may happen.

As an owned of SDL Trados 2006 Freelance, you also own new MultiTerm 7.1, which is a fundamentally different product than MT5. I strongly recommend you to convert your MT5 termbases to MT7.1 format and start using it together with your SDL Trados 2006."

So I looked at the documentation and from what I can see, there are more than 300 pages of TM 7.x documentation (or is that for all of Trados 2006 (7.x)? Who knows? It's certainly not clear from the overview I get.)!!!

Does anyone have a quick and easy way to migrate my 5.x glossaries to 7.x ?

Thanks very much for your help!

Kind regards,

Harold
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:58
English to Polish
Multiterm Convert Aug 30, 2006

Harold Vadney wrote:

Does anyone have a quick and easy way to migrate my 5.x glossaries to 7.x ?

The appropriate piece of software is called Multiterm Convert.
Convert your glossaries to .XDT and .XML files (one such pair for each glossary), then create new glossaries in MT7 using the appropriate .XDT file as definition and import the content from .XML file. Note that the .mdb files for MT7 glossaries may be significantly bigger than the same glossaries in old format (even including fuzzy index).

HTH,
Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating from TM 5.x to TM 7.1

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »