Trados suddenly doesn't open new segment...
Thread poster: Lucy-Jane Michel
Lucy-Jane Michel
Lucy-Jane Michel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:24
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2006

Hi all,
I'm using Trados 5.
There I was, merrily clicking and tapping away, when suddenly, I tried to open a new segment and it refused to do anything - just blipped and returned to a previous finished segment earlier in the document...what's going on? I've tried cleaning up the doc, reopening it, redoing it entirely; have I maybe changed a setting somewhere without realising? Any advice much appreciated!
Lucy-Jane

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
A few suggestions Jul 20, 2006

I'd suggest using the "repair" option first and then, if that doesn't work, saving the source text under a new name - all the translations will be in the TM (translation memory) anyway.

Let us know what happens.

Lucy-Jane Michel
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
O-kaaay Jul 20, 2006

Thanks Ian!

Well, I tried 'repair' which didn't do anything, then I noticed that there were these strange black square things in bold on the sections that Trados jumped back to...I deleted the sections and it seems to be okay now. Anyone know anything about these black squares and how I can correct them without having to delete segments of text?

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I manage it this way: Jul 20, 2006

In Word I open Trados menu item and I 'Toggle tag protection' (to OFF). Then Options/View I turn on displaying hidden text.

And then I watch the pink tags: {0>, <}0{> and <0} They should match (numbers may vary).

If I do not know where the problem is, I copy the document, clean the copy with Workbench and look for light green << or >> marks.

Then I go to the same place in the uncleaned doc and look again.

Correc
... See more
In Word I open Trados menu item and I 'Toggle tag protection' (to OFF). Then Options/View I turn on displaying hidden text.

And then I watch the pink tags: {0>, <}0{> and <0} They should match (numbers may vary).

If I do not know where the problem is, I copy the document, clean the copy with Workbench and look for light green << or >> marks.

Then I go to the same place in the uncleaned doc and look again.

Correctly paired tags:
{0>On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.<}0{>1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.<0}

[Edited at 2006-07-20 11:38]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
check what TWB says in the status line... Jul 20, 2006

it could be something like "segment seems to be open" or "no segment opened" or similar.

I call this a "beep-beep" situation, because that's all what TRADOS does such strange cases.

You can always dump the work version and retranslate the original document to the point where the file got broken.

Regards

Vito

PS: because HTML eats up bigger and smaller characters, the segment example above is broken - here's the example from above
... See more
it could be something like "segment seems to be open" or "no segment opened" or similar.

I call this a "beep-beep" situation, because that's all what TRADOS does such strange cases.

You can always dump the work version and retranslate the original document to the point where the file got broken.

Regards

Vito

PS: because HTML eats up bigger and smaller characters, the segment example above is broken - here's the example from above where I replaced bigger and smaller with [ and ]

{0]On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.[}0{]1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.[0}

PPS: anybody knows how to get less-than and bigger-than characters iinto the html text?

[Edited at 2006-07-20 11:12]
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use character entities Jul 20, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

PPS: anybody knows how to get less-than and bigger-than characters iinto the html text?

> becomes &gt;

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
like in ... ? Jul 20, 2006

{0>On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.<}0{>1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.<0}

[Edited at 2006-07-20 15:16]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
But PROZ does not make it easy Jul 20, 2006

When you edit a post, all previous &s are gone.

Lucy-Jane Michel
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 20, 2006

Thanks everyone for your help! Conversation has now moved onto things I can only one day dream of understanding...

LJ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados suddenly doesn't open new segment...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »