Editing number only segments
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
Swedish to English
Jul 8, 2006

In a project I am working on there are a number of segments that contain only numbers with source decimal symbol displayed as a comma. As I am translating into English I need to change this to a decimal point but Trados is ignoring these number only segments. How can I change this?

I am using the Workbench/Word combination with Trados 2006 and Word 2003.

Many thanks,

Ben

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:16
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Expand the previous segment Jul 8, 2006

This irritates me too, but a workaround that sometimes helps is to 'Expand the previous segment'.

(Short cut: Ctrl + Alt + Page Down).

This is useful when Trados divides a sentence after abbreviations like etc. and other abbreviation full stops, before telephone numbers, and when you want to run two Source Text sentences together as one in the translation.

Otherwise the only way I know is to do the job the old way in the cleaned file, but it is admittedly t
... See more
This irritates me too, but a workaround that sometimes helps is to 'Expand the previous segment'.

(Short cut: Ctrl + Alt + Page Down).

This is useful when Trados divides a sentence after abbreviations like etc. and other abbreviation full stops, before telephone numbers, and when you want to run two Source Text sentences together as one in the translation.

Otherwise the only way I know is to do the job the old way in the cleaned file, but it is admittedly tedious if the numbers are scattered through the text.

Collapse

Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 8, 2006

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the input but as you said, I think this is a 'back to basics' editing job in Word!

Ben

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Localizing things like numbers Jul 8, 2006

is done in TWB in Translation memory options / Substitution Localisation. It's quite possible your current setup leaves them unchanged.

Regards

Vito

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Search and Replace Jul 9, 2006

I suspect there is a better way, but FWIW I use this primitive Search and Replace:

Search for ([0-9]),([0-9])([0-9]) e.g. 1,23
Replace with \1.\2\3 (+ Use Wildcards) gives 1.23

This is of course only for figures with 2 decimal places. This formula can be adjusted by varying the number of ([0-9]) and \1\2\3 etc and the location of the punctuation character.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"I suspect there is a better way" Jul 9, 2006

Search for ([0-9]@),([0-9]@)
Replace with \1.\2

and dont forget to check the "Use wildcards" checkbox

[Edited at 2006-07-09 13:05]

Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jul 12, 2006

I apologise for the delay in responding, but many thanks for all the very helpful suggestions. Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing number only segments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »