Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 08:49
French to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2006

I am using Trados 7.
I'm self-taught, which is as much as to say I know very little. I started with one big French-English memory, but am now realising that I need to take active steps to control a memory that's getting out of control. I use project and filter settings, in a very modest way, using abbreviations like LEG for legal or FIN for finance, and I've learned (at last) how to delete or amend translation segments using the maintenance commands, but it's all pretty clumsy as well as t
... See more
I am using Trados 7.
I'm self-taught, which is as much as to say I know very little. I started with one big French-English memory, but am now realising that I need to take active steps to control a memory that's getting out of control. I use project and filter settings, in a very modest way, using abbreviations like LEG for legal or FIN for finance, and I've learned (at last) how to delete or amend translation segments using the maintenance commands, but it's all pretty clumsy as well as time consuming. Do any of you skilled professionals out there have any tips? Do you have loads of TM's or just one big one? What fields do you use? What information do you put in with each job? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes, David Angel.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:49
Italian to English
In memoriam
An idea or two Jun 1, 2006

Hi David,

Most of my jobs fall into one of three or four broad sectors so I keep a separate TM for each customer and at the end of each job, export the updated TM to text and then import it into a larger TM for the appropriate sector. The XYZ winery TM would be incorporated into my Wine TM (currently containing about 120,000 segments), for example.

This arrangement means that I can keep each customer's jobs separate but still leverage all my past work in the sector by u
... See more
Hi David,

Most of my jobs fall into one of three or four broad sectors so I keep a separate TM for each customer and at the end of each job, export the updated TM to text and then import it into a larger TM for the appropriate sector. The XYZ winery TM would be incorporated into my Wine TM (currently containing about 120,000 segments), for example.

This arrangement means that I can keep each customer's jobs separate but still leverage all my past work in the sector by using the larger TM as a reference for concordance searches.

I have text and attribute fields for customer, job number, text type, sector, sub-sectors and so on, some of which I could live without, to tell the truth. The important thing is to have enough information to be able to filter your TM accurately when you need to do a search or a partial export.

TMs can accumulate a fair amount of "noise", though, and as you say the Trados File\Maintenance function is not always ideal. The freeware Oliphant tool from Enlaso is an attractive extra TM editing option:

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/index.html

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers,

Giles
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Giles Jun 1, 2006

Thanks very much Giles, these sound like very good ideas.
I seem to remember you helped me before: as a result of your advice I've bought a new computer as well as a huge screen, which helps enormously and allows me to concentrate on more important questions, like the present one!

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oliphant Jun 1, 2006

OK, so I download Oliphant, having no idea how to use that either. I export a TM as a txt file, and try to import into Oliphant. But it tells me "Oliphant not able to detect the type of file". So frustrating. David.

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Sorry, .tmx not .txt Jun 1, 2006

Humble apologies, David.

Oliphant reads TMs in .tmx, not .txt, so you have to export to that format.

Sorry about the typing error!

Cheers,

Giles

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:49
English to French
+ ...
Here is another recent discussion on the subject - still active Jun 1, 2006

For more information, mayb you would like to take a look at this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/48688

Cheers!

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jun 2, 2006

Thanks, Viktoria. Thanks, Giles.

Giles - thanks for the filename tip. It works! And seems reasonably easy to use. Many many thanks.

David.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question for Giles Jun 2, 2006

Dear Giles - if you are still doing your Good Samaritan thing, can I ask you one more question? I seem to have Oliphant working nicely. I downloaded an entire TM of 15000 odd entries, but when I open the TM in Oliphant it looks beautiful but has 13000 odd entries that I can see on the one page. My most recent segments are missing. (If I export the TM to a txt file, there are 15000 anyhow, if I export to tmx I don't know if I can look inside to see how many entries there are).

The an
... See more
Dear Giles - if you are still doing your Good Samaritan thing, can I ask you one more question? I seem to have Oliphant working nicely. I downloaded an entire TM of 15000 odd entries, but when I open the TM in Oliphant it looks beautiful but has 13000 odd entries that I can see on the one page. My most recent segments are missing. (If I export the TM to a txt file, there are 15000 anyhow, if I export to tmx I don't know if I can look inside to see how many entries there are).

The answer is probably dead easy but I haven't found it yet!
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Olifant Jun 2, 2006

Hi again David,

First of all, I should point out that Olifant is spelled with an f not a ph, as I wrote earlier.

I'm not sure I understand your problem, though. Did you export to .tmx with a date filter?

If you can give me a few more details - perhaps through my profile, so as not to clutter the forum - of exactly what it is you want to do, I'll try to help.

Cheers,

Giles
PS
Among other things, I don't understand where
... See more
Hi again David,

First of all, I should point out that Olifant is spelled with an f not a ph, as I wrote earlier.

I'm not sure I understand your problem, though. Did you export to .tmx with a date filter?

If you can give me a few more details - perhaps through my profile, so as not to clutter the forum - of exactly what it is you want to do, I'll try to help.

Cheers,

Giles
PS
Among other things, I don't understand where you "downloaded" the TM from. Do you just mean "export"?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory management in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »