Formatting in Trados
Thread poster: paralleleser
paralleleser
paralleleser
English to French
May 26, 2006

Trados changes all the formatting in my Word documents, as soon as there is some more or less complex formatting. Plain text become italics, bold, uppercase, etc. Margins change as well. Is there any way to set the software so that it leaves the formatting as is? I'm using Word 2000 and Windows XP Home Edition.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are several ways to avoid that May 26, 2006

First you should check, if the formatting of your document and the styles are matching.
This is not Trados, what is changing fonts, but actually the settings in your file are afecting that.

Please use the search function here in the forum - this topis has been discusses previously several times, so surely you´ll find a lot of tips so.

Regards
Jerzy

Bob Lemay
Bob Lemay
United States
Local time: 01:51
French to English
+ ...
Use TagEditor May 26, 2006

If you value your sanity, don't use Trados in Word unless it is a very simple, straightforward document.

Furthermore, if it has large pictures or graphs and tables, it will lose the connection to the Workbench, or simply crash when it tries to pass over the picture.

paralleleser
paralleleser
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 26, 2006

OK thanks for your help... I tought there might be a magical button that would solve the problem... But it seems a lot of people have the same problem... I think Wordfast might be more stable, so I'll try to switch to this software... TagEditor frigthens me...
Thanks you so much again!
Valérie

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:51
Italian to English
In memoriam
Or the workaround... May 26, 2006

Robert Lemay wrote:

If you value your sanity, don't use Trados in Word unless it is a very simple, straightforward document.

Good advice: TagEditor is generally a better option now that it can handle Word.

This workaround can also be useful, particularly if you have an earlier version of Trados.

To translate texts with images and/or text boxes:

1. Create an empty TM
2. Tools/Analyse the file
3. Export unknown segments (99%) - save as RTF
4. Translate the RTF file (using other TMs if you like)
5. Tools/Cleanup the RTF into the empty TM
6. Tools/Translate the original file
7. Clean up into the TM of your choice.

It might be a good idea to print out a copy of the file beforehand, or open it on a second computer/monitor, so that you have an idea of the layout while you're working.

HTH

Giles

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! May 27, 2006

Giles Watson wrote:

This workaround can also be useful, particularly if you have an earlier version of Trados.

To translate texts with images and/or text boxes:

Giles

Great tip! But I needed last week!
Anyway, I'll remember it and use it next time!

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting in Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »