Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 22, 2006

Windows XP /Office 2003
Trados 7.0.0.615 (build 615)

After getting an error message TW4Win.exe (which I had never had before) I decided to download and install SDL Trados 7.1 Update Release for Trados 7 users and now I get an error message discussed before here in the forum with the tip below(Benjamin Love, dec 27 2005). As I am not able ANYMORE to work with Trados (always getting the error message "Previous request not yet finished" / curly brackets error very frequently in W
... See more
Windows XP /Office 2003
Trados 7.0.0.615 (build 615)

After getting an error message TW4Win.exe (which I had never had before) I decided to download and install SDL Trados 7.1 Update Release for Trados 7 users and now I get an error message discussed before here in the forum with the tip below(Benjamin Love, dec 27 2005). As I am not able ANYMORE to work with Trados (always getting the error message "Previous request not yet finished" / curly brackets error very frequently in Word), I'd like to downgrade to 7.0 again!

I just wanted to share my experience with Trados 7.1 Freelance:

- I started getting the "Previous request not yet finished" / curly brackets error very frequently in Word.

The problems disappeared after downgrading to 7.0 (I tried with the same files and TMs).

Thank you!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
English to German
+ ...
Did you register 7.1? May 22, 2006

Hi Constance,
Did you register 7.1 after installing the upgrade?

Best regards,
Ralf

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Register 7.1 May 22, 2006

I thought I did (but I don't think it worked). I went to start-trados-register, but there is only the option: register trados 7.0.
Where do I find register 7.1? Am I having these problems (errors) because I didn't register 7.1 correctly?
Thanks, Ralf!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Register TRADOS 7 May 22, 2006

Hi again,

I thought I did (but I don't think it worked).

Why? Any error messages?

I went to start-trados-register, but there is only the option: register trados 7.0.

Are you sure that this is what it says?
I use 7.1, and the entry reads Register TRADOS 7.

Am I having these problems (errors) because I didn't register 7.1 correctly?

Possible, but not necessarily...

I'm shutting down now - talk to you tomorrow.

Cheers, Ralf

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados 7.0 x 7.1? May 22, 2006

Good morning Ralf,

well, I registered, and you're right, it says Register Trados 7. I did it twice now. I think it didn't work because when I look at TW - help - about it still gives me the "old" version (7.0.0.615 - build 6115).

Trados is unable to work, it doesn't matter what file I open, what TM, it always gives me the message "Previous request not yet finished" / curly brackets error in Word.
... See more
Good morning Ralf,

well, I registered, and you're right, it says Register Trados 7. I did it twice now. I think it didn't work because when I look at TW - help - about it still gives me the "old" version (7.0.0.615 - build 6115).

Trados is unable to work, it doesn't matter what file I open, what TM, it always gives me the message "Previous request not yet finished" / curly brackets error in Word.

I have so much to translate! How can I fix this ASAP?

Thank you!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Installation issue? May 23, 2006

Hi again,

This is not (directly) related to the registration process, AFAIK - the version number is controlled by the .exe and .dll files installed; the registration process ensures that the Windows registry links to the correct files.

A few things to check:
Did you extract the 7.1 installation file you downloaded, using WinZip or a comparable utility (not the one provided with WinXP) before installing?
Did you deinstall 7.0 before installing 7.1?

Does this persist if you're restarting your computer?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try some of the following things May 23, 2006

First check, if there is a bookmark named "tw..." - if you find such, delete it (to find it out: menu "Insert" and "Bookmark").
Try again to translate. If the error re-occurs, copy the paragraph causing the error into a new document and try to translate there. This should work. Then copy the translated paragraph back into your original document.
If this not helps, select the whole document WITHOUT the last paragraph mark, paste it into a new clean document, save this new document as
... See more
First check, if there is a bookmark named "tw..." - if you find such, delete it (to find it out: menu "Insert" and "Bookmark").
Try again to translate. If the error re-occurs, copy the paragraph causing the error into a new document and try to translate there. This should work. Then copy the translated paragraph back into your original document.
If this not helps, select the whole document WITHOUT the last paragraph mark, paste it into a new clean document, save this new document as rtf. Close Word. Restart Word, reopen the rtf, save as Word, close Word and restart back - this might help.

But why don´t you try Tageditor on this file? As you are using Trados 7, this is possible - so why don´t you go for that?

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to TW4Win.exe... May 23, 2006

Thank you, Ralf and Jerzy, for your prompt help.

I did everything you suggested last night: deinstalled Trados 7.0, inzipped with Winzip, registered...

So now Trados is working again, but I have the original problem back: I have a project with 12 files. Two of these are unable to be analysed, I get the message "TW4Win.exe TW4Win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience ." on the other side I was able to translate these two fil
... See more
Thank you, Ralf and Jerzy, for your prompt help.

I did everything you suggested last night: deinstalled Trados 7.0, inzipped with Winzip, registered...

So now Trados is working again, but I have the original problem back: I have a project with 12 files. Two of these are unable to be analysed, I get the message "TW4Win.exe TW4Win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience ." on the other side I was able to translate these two files (tools-translate).
Why does this happen? My client says he did analyse both files without any problems on Trados 3.
I would very much like to fix this!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The problem are most probably the files themself May 23, 2006

as the analysis process converts Word to rtf the files tend to grow largely. Sometimes errors are then generated.

Try to save the files as RTF for analyse purposes and analyse then these rtfs.

For translation I would strongly suggest to use Tageditor - no formattíng issues and almost no other issues.

Did you check the "TRADOSStag XML Workflow for Word .doc files"? If you did and still are working with Word, this setting should be deactivated.

... See more
as the analysis process converts Word to rtf the files tend to grow largely. Sometimes errors are then generated.

Try to save the files as RTF for analyse purposes and analyse then these rtfs.

For translation I would strongly suggest to use Tageditor - no formattíng issues and almost no other issues.

Did you check the "TRADOSStag XML Workflow for Word .doc files"? If you did and still are working with Word, this setting should be deactivated.

If you wish, you could send me the files in question to info klammeraffe doku minus trans dot de (or contact me via my profile), so I could look on them and possibly find something.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Constance Mannshardt
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TW4Win.exe May 23, 2006

I worte Trados and they told me to do following:
Please go to the folder below;
C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7\TT
Here you should find "$SelfRegisterJ_2KXP.bat" file (or similar file name).
You can run this batch file by double-clicking.
Hope this helps.

It didn't help.

What and were are these TRADOSStag XML Workflow for Word. doc files? I have no idea!

The idea of working with tag Editor is great, thanks a lot.

And I
... See more
I worte Trados and they told me to do following:
Please go to the folder below;
C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7\TT
Here you should find "$SelfRegisterJ_2KXP.bat" file (or similar file name).
You can run this batch file by double-clicking.
Hope this helps.

It didn't help.

What and were are these TRADOSStag XML Workflow for Word. doc files? I have no idea!

The idea of working with tag Editor is great, thanks a lot.

And I am sending you the two files I am having problems with.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is a setting in Workbench May 23, 2006

In German:
Go to Optionen - Translation Memory OPtionen - Extras and check the settings there. Tradostag Workflow for Word is intended for Tageditor. I have both Settings fpr Tradostag deselected and can work both with Word AND Tagedutor - so I would reccomend the same to you.

Nevertheless, your described behavior is more a Word problem for me than a Trados one. I shall take a look on those files later today.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Downgrading to 7.0

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »