Thread poster: stephen mewes
stephen mewes
stephen mewes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 18, 2006

When I try to open the unclean file Workbench opens and there is the message 'the system cannot open the file specified'.

The system obviously think the unclean file is a TM, but I'm not sure what I should do.

I am using Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Many thanks

[Заголовок отредактирован персоналом или модератором 2006-05-18 09:28]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:29
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What are YOU trying to open?... May 18, 2006

Is it a translation memory file? Or is it some RTF? What kind of "unclean" file?

smo

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:29
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Might be stating the obvious but... May 18, 2006

quincey wrote:

When I try to open the unclean file Workbench opens and there is the message 'the system cannot open the file specified'.

The system obviously think the unclean file is a TM, but I'm not sure what I should do.

I am using Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Many thanks

[Заголовок отредактирован персоналом или модератором 2006-05-18 09:28]

I might be stating the obvious here, but what program are you using to open the unclean file?

Translated files cannot be "opened" in Workbench through the File>Open command. They can only be opened in their source programs (i.e. Word, Excel, etc.)

If what you're trying to do is clean the unclean file, you need to go to the Tools menu in Workbench, then choose Clean Up, and then Add (choose your file) and then Clean Up to process the file, but Workbench never actually opens the file (though you see it open momentarily in the original program window while its being cleaned up).

Nora

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 07:29
English to Danish
Change the settings for this file May 18, 2006

Perhaps, if you look at the properties (I think) for this specific file, you will find somewhere where it says which programme you have chosen to open this file type with.
Is this setting correct?

Just a thought?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening Trados unclean file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »