How to Deal with a Video with no Subtitles?
Thread poster: Jana Garnsworthy
Jana Garnsworthy
Jana Garnsworthy
Local time: 00:40
Czech to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2015

Hi fellow translators,

I've had a request from someone to translate 24 episodes of an old TV series (720 minutes in all). The problem is there are no subtitles, only the actual programmes. How does one go about translating something like that? I can't imagine sitting there pausing the videos all the way and translating them on the go so to speak. It would take ages!

Also, the guy wants to share the translated series with the world. I have a feeling that might actually
... See more
Hi fellow translators,

I've had a request from someone to translate 24 episodes of an old TV series (720 minutes in all). The problem is there are no subtitles, only the actual programmes. How does one go about translating something like that? I can't imagine sitting there pausing the videos all the way and translating them on the go so to speak. It would take ages!

Also, the guy wants to share the translated series with the world. I have a feeling that might actually not be quite legal when it comes to copyright issues, am I right?

Any advice or helpful suggestions much appreciated.
Collapse

Ana Carla Guimarães
Ana Carla Guimarães  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:40
English to Portuguese
Don´t they have a script to give you? Mar 26, 2015

Hi Jana,
I am not sure how exactly they want you to translate these videos, but usually when I get episodes to translate, they give me the video and a script, and I subtitle the video in the target language.

If they want you to translate the script in a Word document, they should just give you the original script.

I am assuming they don't want you to subtitle the videos, is that right?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, you listen, pause, and type. And again. Mar 26, 2015

"720 minutes in all" will be a minimum of 4320 minutes of translating.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't think this is going to work Mar 26, 2015

The entire translation + time-spotting + burning process, if done professionally, should cost a five-digit figure in USD. Furthermore, if your "someone" intends to distribute it, there are certainly copyright issues.

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
French to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
5 jobs Mar 26, 2015

1) Translation + time-spotting + 2) voice-over + 3) mixing of audio & video + 4) audio processing + 5) rendering.

You need to do subtitling (translation + time-spotting) for your-self (if not the quality can be poor) then you ned to do voice-over job, than mixing of audio & video then audio processing than rendering.

It is a job for 5 humans. You can do it your-self but to earn all this amount you need to be able doing all this described above and to know these
... See more
1) Translation + time-spotting + 2) voice-over + 3) mixing of audio & video + 4) audio processing + 5) rendering.

You need to do subtitling (translation + time-spotting) for your-self (if not the quality can be poor) then you ned to do voice-over job, than mixing of audio & video then audio processing than rendering.

It is a job for 5 humans. You can do it your-self but to earn all this amount you need to be able doing all this described above and to know these rates.

+ There are certainly copyright issues.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:40
French to Spanish
+ ...
Strange... Mar 26, 2015

...as always with subtitling issues.

"Well, subtitling... that must be funny". It is, but very difficult.

So: to do what you ask, you must have a special software, right?

Then, translate "by ear": if you are VERY good, 10 minutes video = 1 hour work.

Lot of work.

Good luck.

Jana Garnsworthy
Jana Garnsworthy
Local time: 00:40
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone... Mar 26, 2015

Hi everyone who replied and thank you all very much for your input.

I didn't actually post the question in this forum because it doesn't really concern subtitling but the moderator moved it here. Thank you Sergei in particular for a very specific answer, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
by ear Mar 27, 2015

Translating by ear is not actually that time-consuming after you get used to it.
It takes maybe 25% more time than translating from script/subtitles but you can charge 50%-100% more.
Depends on the person how quickly you get used to it, it may take days for some, a few years for others.
I have discovered that when I translate from scrit only (not pre-prepared subititles in the original language),
then instead of going back and forth to check the script, I translate "by e
... See more
Translating by ear is not actually that time-consuming after you get used to it.
It takes maybe 25% more time than translating from script/subtitles but you can charge 50%-100% more.
Depends on the person how quickly you get used to it, it may take days for some, a few years for others.
I have discovered that when I translate from scrit only (not pre-prepared subititles in the original language),
then instead of going back and forth to check the script, I translate "by ear" - it is so much quicker and easier.
I only go to check the script when I cannot hear exactly what was said - sometimes I discover I have to scroll through minutes of the script to get to the right place.

10 minutes = 1 hour is about right. For a very professional translator used to this kind of work.
A total beginner would need 10 minutes = 5 hours of work, maybe 8 hours for the first day or two, then it starts to speed up.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:40
French to Spanish
+ ...
Shure... Mar 28, 2015

jbjb wrote:

then instead of going back and forth to check the script, I translate "by ear" - it is so much quicker and easier.
I only go to check the script when I cannot hear exactly what was said - sometimes I discover I have to scroll through minutes of the script to get to the right place.

10 minutes = 1 hour is about right. For a very professional translator used to this kind of work.
A total beginner would need 10 minutes = 5 hours of work, maybe 8 hours for the first day or two, then it starts to speed up.

Well, yes. I NEVER have a look at the script.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Deal with a Video with no Subtitles?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »