Erwin_Franz
Erwin_Franz
Latvia
Local time: 07:09
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2014

Dear colleagues,

Could you recommend any subtitling tools where I could export subtitles as a standard text file (txt, word, pdf etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:09
French to Spanish
+ ...
EzTitles Dec 8, 2014

Good morning.

I use EzTitles and I am very happy with it, the only con is that it is not free. I am sure the colleagues here will give you more options.

Happy subtitling.

Marga

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
YouTube's built in subtitling tool Dec 8, 2014

Hi Erwin,

YouTube's built in subtitling tool is actually pretty amazing. Just discovered it myself.

Michael

Erwin_Franz
Erwin_Franz
Latvia
Local time: 07:09
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EzTitle Dec 8, 2014

Dear Margarita,

Thanks for the advice. I just googled and found EzTitle converter which converts subtitle files. It turned out that it converts subtitle files also to rtf documents:)

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your advice too:) I will definitely try these youtube options in future for other projects.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:09
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Well Dec 8, 2014

I do not know of a subtitling tool, whether it be free or commercial, that cannot export to txt. You can literally pick any of them.

Meriadec Perrin
Meriadec Perrin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
srt is a text file Dec 8, 2014

Dear Erwin,

in any case, the SRT format, which all tools give you, IS a text file. You can simply change the extension to .txt, and it's done. I do not know if Windows easily accepts such a manual change (I work under MacOS), but most probably it can be done too.

[Edited at 2014-12-08 12:40 GMT]

Meriadec Perrin
Meriadec Perrin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
online version of subtitle edit Dec 8, 2014

The web version of Subtitle Edit is a very handy tool too, it can convert almost anything into anything.

I used it once to export to a rare (non broadcast) format I needed for a client's specific needs, to get an intermediary file I needed to build an excel file (with a unusual format) for the end-client reviewing needs.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Windows accepts that Dec 8, 2014

Meriadec Perrin wrote:

in any case, the SRT format, which all tools give you, IS a text file. You can simply change the extension to .txt, and it's done. I do not know if Windows easily accepts such a manual change (I work under MacOS), but most probably it can be done too.

In fact, any subtitle file may be renamed to TXT. Windows will issue a warning, but that's all. Actually any subtitles file may be opened in pure text format with the Win Notepad, however there will be plenty of "clutter", especially in SSA/ASS formats.

The problem is that some direct clients want to see the subtitles TEXT before we burn them. The solution I have found so far was to open these files with the Notepad and save them as TXT.

The next step will to remove the clutter. Let's take the worst case, an SSA file. I open the TXT file witn MS Word, select it all, and change to a monospaced font, like Courier New. Change the page to landscape, and reduce the font until I'm sure that no subtitle takes more than one line.

Deleting the general parameters-crammed header is easy.

Then, to delete the line parameters on the left, drag the mouse over it accurately with [Alt]+LeftClick, to select a rectangle of unwanted info. Hit [Del].

The last touch is searching and replacing every "\N" (the line-break-within-a-sub code in SSA) with a space, and save as "DOC".

I send the DOC file to the client with Word's "Track Changes" already on, so I'll immediately see all changes made, and implement them on my subtitles editor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling tool with an subtitle text export option

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »