Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2013

For BBC viewers in UK and Italian-English subtitlers.

Hi

Did anyone else notice the glitch in the subtitling in the BBC Four screening last night of The Young Montalbano - Episode 4: 'Mortally Wounded'?

The detective is half-watching a religious TV broadcast where reference is made to a passage in Genesis 39. (This alerts him to the meaning of a set of three numbers whose significance he has been trying to divine in the murder case he's investigating.) The
... See more
For BBC viewers in UK and Italian-English subtitlers.

Hi

Did anyone else notice the glitch in the subtitling in the BBC Four screening last night of The Young Montalbano - Episode 4: 'Mortally Wounded'?

The detective is half-watching a religious TV broadcast where reference is made to a passage in Genesis 39. (This alerts him to the meaning of a set of three numbers whose significance he has been trying to divine in the murder case he's investigating.) The Bible passage is about how the wife of Potiphar (Joseph's Egyptian master), who fancies Joseph and tries to seduce him but is rejected by him, exacts revenge by making a false claim to her husband that Joseph has attempted to sexually assault her. Joseph is then imprisoned.

The subtitles bear the names Putifarre and Giuseppe without translation. It's surprising because the subtitler had only to look at the chapter in an English-language Bible to find the names Potiphar and Joseph.

Clive
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Sep 29, 2013

Yes, Clive, I noticed the "glitch" straight away and was puzzled about why the translator of the dialogue didn't use the English versions of those names, Joseph and Potiphar. I suppose he/she had never read/heard the Bible story (and had never seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat, in which it is featured!) so it just didn't occur to him/her and, unlike Young Montalbano, didn't have a Bible in the bookshelf.
How do you and other Prozians feel about "The YOUNG Montalbano"? At
... See more
Yes, Clive, I noticed the "glitch" straight away and was puzzled about why the translator of the dialogue didn't use the English versions of those names, Joseph and Potiphar. I suppose he/she had never read/heard the Bible story (and had never seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat, in which it is featured!) so it just didn't occur to him/her and, unlike Young Montalbano, didn't have a Bible in the bookshelf.
How do you and other Prozians feel about "The YOUNG Montalbano"? At first, I missed the "old" Montalbano's world-weary ways, but now I'm getting an equally soft spot for his younger self.
Great series and good for starting to learn Italian (not one of my languages).
Jenny
Collapse

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
May be job offers like this have something to do with it. Sep 30, 2013

http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/818047

Happy translation/subtitling!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not such a bad one Sep 30, 2013

Margarita Díaz wrote:

http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/818047

Happy translation/subtitling!

They require experience, specify one language pair, and say they'll go for the best quality/price combination.

The worst are those saying that translation for subtitling is a piece of cake, any moron can do it, they need translators for ALL language pairs, however they'll pay $1~3 per minute of video playing time, payment being on the last day of the second month after delivery.

Regarding best price, a translator's best price may vary. If I strip my list price from PayPal fees and hefty Brazilian interest rates on term payments, the client may save almost 17% at no cost to me.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Me too Sep 30, 2013

Clive Phillips wrote:

Maybe the agency/end client didn't pay for proper nouns?

Otherwise the translation seems pretty OK to me ("fluent" in Italian, but no to the extent that I offer it as a source language).

I also have to commend the translator for dealing pretty well with Catarella's utterings. (Again based on me not having a perfect command of Italian.)

[Edited at 2013-09-30 17:58 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Old wins hands down Sep 30, 2013

Jenny Forbes wrote:

How do you and other Prozians feel about "The YOUNG Montalbano"? At first, I missed the "old" Montalbano's world-weary ways, but now I'm getting an equally soft spot for his younger self.

In this case, I still prefer the older man.

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
José, did you notice this? Oct 1, 2013

"Budget and payment details:

Hide / show

$80.00 USD to $120.00 USD per hour

Más detalles de pago: The expected quote should not exceed USD 2.00/min

Método de pago: Por acordar".

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:59
Chinese to English
I actually had one of these the other day! Oct 1, 2013

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

It was via an agency, but the end client had gone through the text highlighting a number of proper nouns and had an instruction at the top of the document saying "highlighted words do not need translation". Very cost-conscious of them!

Clive Phillips
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Young v Old Montalbano Oct 1, 2013

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Great series and good for starting to learn Italian (not one of my languages).
Jenny

Unfortunately, Jenny, I haven't seen the 'old' Montalbano. I've only seen three episodes of the young M but am thoroughly enjoying the series. It's helping my paltry Italian skills and brings a breath of Sicilian warmth and sunshine into a cool autumnal Sussex, England. I love the banter between M and his police team, his enjoyment of good food and wine and, of course, the romantic moments. Well done, BBC!

Clive Phillips
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proper nouns Oct 1, 2013

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Clive Phillips wrote:

Otherwise the translation seems pretty OK to me ("fluent" in Italian, but no to the extent that I offer it as a source language).

I also have to commend the translator for dealing pretty well with Catarella's utterings. (Again based on me not having a perfect command of Italian.)

[Edited at 2013-09-30 17:58 GMT]

I think you've hit on the reason, Madeleine! In that case, the subtitler was just adhering to the terms of the contract...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Touché! Oct 1, 2013

Margarita Díaz wrote:

José, did you notice this?

"Budget and payment details:

Hide / show

$80.00 USD to $120.00 USD per hour

Más detalles de pago: The expected quote should not exceed USD 2.00/min

Método de pago: Por acordar".

That's the catch... As I don't translate Spanish, I don't get a chance to see that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling glitch - Potiphar's wife and Joseph

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »