United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Check out Talon-AI-Tools (ChatGPT + Talon = unlimited possibilities) Mar 21

Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
One little tip I can think of is to not dictate overly long sentences with a ton of commas. Just break them up into smaller pieces.

Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to do that Michael. Your beard is looking well.

Interestingly I have "brackets one" and so on set up for Dragon, but they are all recorded as individual vocabulary items, which is obviously less efficient. (I think it is certainly possible to do this in Dragon without adding them individually, but it would require futzing around with that silly little editor of theirs. It is also noticeably slower than Talon.)

Good to see a fellow dtSearch user.

The "robot" menu is interesting - I have several times thought about making something similar for PhraseExpress, but never got round to doing it. Seeing your implementation has reminded me that this would be a handy way of accessing particularly URLs and folders that you use a lot. I have most of them mapped to my keyboard, but when I am mousing around I often don't have both hands on the keys.

Overall, I was struck by the similarity of the solutions you have developed to those that I have tackled. For example in Phrase "filter filter" grabs whatever text I have selected and inserts it in the filter bar, which is similar to what you have done with memoQ. Do you constrain that utterance to memoQ in some way or is "filter" rare enough that it does not trigger in other apps?

Dan

Yes, I have a special file for all my memoQ commands @ C:\Users\mbeijer\AppData\Roaming\talon\user\memoQ.talon

See below for its contents. Note the "app: memoQ" in the header, which limits these commands to memoQ.

################################################

# Comments start with a # sign, and they must always be on their own line.
#
# This part, the context header, defines under which circumstances this file applies.

app: memoQ
# Anything above this (single!) dash is part of the context header.
-
# Anything below the dash is part of the body.
# If there is no dash, then the body starts immediately.

search glossaries:
key(ctrl-p)
# ‘Search glossaries’ (Search memoQ termbases, Ctrl+P)

replace term:
key("alt-r")

find next:
key("alt-f")

add word:
mouse_click(1)
key("a")
# Add a word to the Custom words list in memoQ by right-cliking and pressing 'a'

add comment:
key("ctrl-m")
# add a comment in memoQ

non translatable:
key("ctrl-alt-n")
key("enter")
# Add selection to non-translatables in memoQ

non-translatable:
key("ctrl-alt-n")
key("enter")
# Add selection to non-translatables in memoQ

glossary:
key("alt-down")
# Add term pair to my background termbase in memoQ

project glossary:
key("alt-up")
# Add term pair to my project termbase in memoQ

both glossaries:
key(alt-down alt-up)
# Add term pair to my background termbase & project termbase in memoQ

(insert|next) tag:
key("f9")
# insert the next tag in memoQ

split (segment|segments):
key("alt-t")
# split the current segment in memoQ

(join|merge) (segment|segments):
key("alt-j")
# joint the current segment in memoQ

source to target:
key("ctrl-shift-s")
# copy source to target in memoQ

source to target next:
key("ctrl-shift-s")
key("ctrl-enter")
# copy source to target in memoQ and confirm segment

translate segment:
key("win-ctrl-alt-j")

(confirm segment|confirm|next):
key("ctrl-enter")
# confirm the current segment in memoQ

go to the top:
key("ctrl-home")
key("ctrl-enter")

from the top:
key("ctrl-home")
key("ctrl-enter")

filter text:
key("ctrl-shift-f")
# Filter all segments in grid on selected word in memoQ

down:
key("ctrl-n")

# Insert match number x in memoQ
match :
key("ctrl-{number}")

switch sides:
key("tab:1")
# Toggle between source and target box in memoQ grid

invisible:
key("ctrl-shift-p")
# Show/hide non-printing characters in memoQ grid

################################################

If you really want to see something cool, check out "Talon-AI-Tools", which allows you to use custom AI (ChatGPT as well as other engines) prompts by voice uwing Talon. This basically allows you to do use an AI model to act on selected text in unlimited ways. It's actually pretty mind-boggling how powerful this combo is.

https://github.com/C-Loftus/talon-ai-tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctiTs6D2tM&t=341s (make sure to watch this!!)

A total Dragon killer, if you ask me.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not an app for the masses though Mar 22

Michael Beijer wrote:
https://github.com/C-Loftus/talon-ai-tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctiTs6D2tM&t=341s (make sure to watch this!!)
A total Dragon killer, if you ask me.

That was impressive, I agree. I particularly liked the shell script. I think I might try that on my window system but specify a PowerShell script. Cursorless is pretty amazing too. I do use VS Code so that's an option for me.

As for Talon being a Dragon killer, I agree that the functionality merits that description on the face of it, but the real issue is that it won't work with individuals who are not prepared to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. It's not an easy solution. Even the developer acknowledges that it could and should be easier to use and has several times, as you probably noticed, mentioned that that is a priority for 0.5.

I did snort with amusement when he recently dissed Dragon's developers and pointed out that all they've done over the past seven years is expanded the mouse group to 3 monitors or something. He's not wrong. I have no idea how Nuance spends its time and money, but it's shameful that they are gradually being overhauled by a single person, despite having a head start of about 20 years.

Trados is in a similar category. Decent app, but so many little frustrations and so few material improvements for end users over the past decade.

Dan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Cursorless Apr 1

Spent some time over the weekend getting acquainted with Cursorless.
I think it might be actual magic.

Steep learning curve for the first couple of hours, but now I'm using it for everything.

Dan

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's definitely magic Apr 2

Dan Lucas wrote:

Spent some time over the weekend getting acquainted with Cursorless.
I think it might be actual magic.

Steep learning curve for the first couple of hours, but now I'm using it for everything.

Dan

Yeah, I keep meaning to look at Cursorless but don't think I currently have the brain space to learn it (too many children and animals running around my house).

wizard

It's crazy how powerful Talon + Cursorless is. Talon (+ Python + AutoHotkey) has already completely revolutionised how I work in memoQ.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Agreed, horses for courses Apr 2

Michael Beijer wrote:
Yeah, I keep meaning to look at Cursorless but don't think I currently have the brain space to learn it (too many children and animals running around my house).

I think that if you have been able to build your workflow within MemoQ itself then maybe Cursorless doesn't add much, but if like me you use an external editor and copy the resulting text into your CAT tool, the combination of Cursorless and VSCode is well worth the effort. Being able to add, delete, and swap stuff around without touching the keyboard is amazing.

Dan

Gymmo
Gymmo
Netherlands
New user
dictation_nl.talon Apr 15

Michael Beijer wrote:

(plus English)

Webspeech engine-14 languages

May ask where you found dictation_nl.talon ? It appears it is not in https://github.com/talonvoice/webspeech_examples/

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
you need to create it yourself Apr 15

Gymmo wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

(plus English)

Webspeech engine-14 languages

May ask where you found dictation_nl.talon ? It appears it is not in https://github.com/talonvoice/webspeech_examples/

As far as I can remember, you need to create it yourself. Just look at the contents of another language file and adapt it to Dutch. I'll have a proper look tomorrow!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is OpenAI’s Whisper better than Dragon?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »