Can I use TO3000 to record things, without having it manage things?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 10, 2013

Hello everyone

I really like the idea that TO 3000 can be a database of my clients, and of my jobs, and that it can help me create invoices. But I get the impression that if you use TO 3000, then you have to let TO 3000 *manage* your jobs as well. And I don't want that. Can one use TO 3000 only to keep a record of jobs, without TO 3000 actually trying to actively keep track of the jobs and control the way I save and organise my jobs?

I mean, can I use TO 3000 once a
... See more
Hello everyone

I really like the idea that TO 3000 can be a database of my clients, and of my jobs, and that it can help me create invoices. But I get the impression that if you use TO 3000, then you have to let TO 3000 *manage* your jobs as well. And I don't want that. Can one use TO 3000 only to keep a record of jobs, without TO 3000 actually trying to actively keep track of the jobs and control the way I save and organise my jobs?

I mean, can I use TO 3000 once a week only (and not every time I have to deal with a client or a job)? It would be great if I could keep on doing things I have always done (keeping track of jobs in subfolders on my desktop, organised in the way I like them to be organised) but also use a program like TO 3000 to be a database of client information (useful during invoicing and during tax season) and to keep a record of my jobs and invoices.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What exactly do you want? Sep 10, 2013

Dear Samuel,

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you're trying to achieve, what do you mean by TO3000 "managing" your jobs? Anyway: Of course you could ignore the folders TO3000 creates and use your own system. You could then use TO3000 for managing client/job data and invoicing only.

Apart from that, I have the impression that you're expending a lot of energy for not using TO3000. Maybe you should think about making a small effort learning to use TO3000 and adapting you
... See more
Dear Samuel,

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you're trying to achieve, what do you mean by TO3000 "managing" your jobs? Anyway: Of course you could ignore the folders TO3000 creates and use your own system. You could then use TO3000 for managing client/job data and invoicing only.

Apart from that, I have the impression that you're expending a lot of energy for not using TO3000. Maybe you should think about making a small effort learning to use TO3000 and adapting your personal system a bit, so you could benefit more from the software? Also, the way TO3000 creates and uses folders can to a certain extent be chosen by the user - maybe you can even make it fit your personal system completely.

I know it's difficult to change habits, but I think in this case it might really be worth it.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2013-09-10 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course, you can! Sep 10, 2013

Samuel, of course you can use TO exactly this way - I also do. Just don't use the folders that TO suggests for you, and use your own.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure what you mean Sep 10, 2013

When you say you have to let TO3000 manage your jobs, what do you mean? After all that is what the program is intended for.

I'm sure it could be used as you intend, though I think using the program in full is best, and once you have set up all your clients, rates and other settings (which can take a while but is worth the time) keeping track of all your clients details is very easy.

You can customize the folders where you save things (for example whenever I create a jo
... See more
When you say you have to let TO3000 manage your jobs, what do you mean? After all that is what the program is intended for.

I'm sure it could be used as you intend, though I think using the program in full is best, and once you have set up all your clients, rates and other settings (which can take a while but is worth the time) keeping track of all your clients details is very easy.

You can customize the folders where you save things (for example whenever I create a job the name I give the job is my client's acronym and a consecutive number, so say my client's acronym is XXX and this the third job I did for them the job will be called XXX0003, TO3000 then automatically creates a folder called XXX0003 with the following subfolder names (which I chose) "Incoming", "Invoice", "Sent", "Work", which I use to keep the job organized, but you could have any folder and subfolder names you wanted.

It will also let you track deadlines, invoices, over due payments, etc., etc.

They have a 30 day free trial so you can try it out and see if it fits your needs, though I would recommend adapting to using the full program so you can take full advantage of it..
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
agree with Natalie Sep 10, 2013

That’s exactly how I use it too.

I let TO3000 take care of all the paperwork, but handle my client/job folder structure myself (in DirectoryOpus).

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use TO3000 to record things, without having it manage things?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »