Thread poster: reliable
reliable
reliable  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
French to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2013

Is anyone out there using this program? Do you know if it can be turned on/off when needed or if it is compatible with Wordfast? Thank you for your help!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Bad, bad program Sep 4, 2013

reliable wrote:
Is anyone out there using this program?

No, but I just downloaded it and tried to install it. After a while it tried to reboot my computer without asking me, and in the process it closed all of my running programs without warning me. I don't mind having to reboot when installing something, but the program must either ask or warn me. I was in the middle of writing stuff in various programs and they just all closed without saving.

Bad, bad program.

Samuel

reliable
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: using Style Guard Sep 4, 2013

Thank you for letting me know - I had never used it/ heard about it before today, but a client asked if I was familiar with the AP Style Guide and I thought it might be a good thing to have... I don't think I will be trying it now!

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
APA Style Sep 4, 2013

You can find a good overview of the APA style here:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

The APA blog is also helpful if you have additional questions:
http://blog.apastyle.org/

In any case, those resources don't require installing any extra software.

reliable
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Style Guard Sep 4, 2013

Thank you for the helpful resources!

[Edited at 2013-09-04 19:51 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Associated Press or Amer. Psych. Assoc. Sep 5, 2013

AP Style is not APA style, so make sure that there is no miscommunication there. Newspaper style and scholarly style are far more similar in the US than in the UK, but there are differences.
I have PerfectIt, a competitor of Style Guard (which I had never heard of), and think that it is probably a pretty good program, although I never really get around to using it. I think it has settings for several US and UK styles (probably inlcuding AP Style). You might want to take a look at it, an
... See more
AP Style is not APA style, so make sure that there is no miscommunication there. Newspaper style and scholarly style are far more similar in the US than in the UK, but there are differences.
I have PerfectIt, a competitor of Style Guard (which I had never heard of), and think that it is probably a pretty good program, although I never really get around to using it. I think it has settings for several US and UK styles (probably inlcuding AP Style). You might want to take a look at it, and I think that they also have a 30-day trial version.
Collapse

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
AP vs APA Sep 5, 2013

Excellent point, Michael Wetzel. Thanks.

I definitely read "APA" rather than "AP."

Here's the Purdue OWL link for AP style:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/735/02/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style Guard

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »