Dave Cooper (X)
Dave Cooper (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2012

Colleagues ...

Can anyone make a recommendation for a Windows XP- or Ubuntu 10.04-based software application that will take audio input (from video displayed on the Web) and output text (to any format). What I need is to capture spoken Dutch in the video so that I get text that I can work with. The intent is to take the Dutch text and translate it. So what I need is Dutch audio input > Dutch text output.

Thanks for any suggestions ...

Dave Cooper
Limb
... See more
Colleagues ...

Can anyone make a recommendation for a Windows XP- or Ubuntu 10.04-based software application that will take audio input (from video displayed on the Web) and output text (to any format). What I need is to capture spoken Dutch in the video so that I get text that I can work with. The intent is to take the Dutch text and translate it. So what I need is Dutch audio input > Dutch text output.

Thanks for any suggestions ...

Dave Cooper
Limburg
The Netherlands
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking? Jan 3, 2012

My sister uses Dragon Naturally Speaking for a similar purpose, with reasonable results. By "reasonable results" I mean that you have to replay the video with the text written by DNS and check it all, most especially if you have different voices in the video. The results are about 80% accurate in this situation.

Dave Cooper (X)
Dave Cooper (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the DNS recommendation ... Jan 3, 2012

Tomás ...

Thanks for the quick response! I will check out DNS. I have already scoured the Web a little, and I notice that most reviewers of the various applications available make the same observations as you and your sister have. That is reasonable and to be expected. I certainly would incorporate a stringent review of the output. Happily the video is only 30 minutes long and it is mostly only one or two persons speaking, and not meetings and multiple voices.

Regards
... See more
Tomás ...

Thanks for the quick response! I will check out DNS. I have already scoured the Web a little, and I notice that most reviewers of the various applications available make the same observations as you and your sister have. That is reasonable and to be expected. I certainly would incorporate a stringent review of the output. Happily the video is only 30 minutes long and it is mostly only one or two persons speaking, and not meetings and multiple voices.

Regards ...
Dave Cooper
Limburg
The Netherlands
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audio to text software application ...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »