Thread poster: Shimpei Shimizu (X)
Shimpei Shimizu (X)
Shimpei Shimizu (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2009

I use Windows Vista in English environment.

Recently, I received couple of *.zip files, and I couldn't unzip them with the application that came with Windows Vista. I tried PKZip with the same result.

7-Zip was able to unzip the files, but the unzipped file names got jumbled up. The contents (PDF files) were fine, but I couldn't read the file names (which were written in Japanese).

Does anybody know of a software, that can be installed in English version of
... See more
I use Windows Vista in English environment.

Recently, I received couple of *.zip files, and I couldn't unzip them with the application that came with Windows Vista. I tried PKZip with the same result.

7-Zip was able to unzip the files, but the unzipped file names got jumbled up. The contents (PDF files) were fine, but I couldn't read the file names (which were written in Japanese).

Does anybody know of a software, that can be installed in English version of Windows Vista that can zip and unzip files with Japanese file names?

I don't want to be switching my PC environment back and forth between English and Japanese...

Please help!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check your system settings Sep 28, 2009

Go to Control Panel (or whatever it is in Vista) and see, if support for Asian languages is enabled. I have no problem with zipping/unzipping files with kana in the names using 7-zip 9.04 under Windows XP with such support enabled.

[Edited at 2009-09-28 08:01 GMT]

Patricia Bowden
Patricia Bowden
Italy
Local time: 11:14
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar problem in Window 8 Mar 10, 2014

I am having the same problem unzipping files with Japanese name.

I checked control panel and Japanese is installed on my machine. However the filenames are still corrupt when I unzip the file.

I am using using 7zip, though I do not know which version. I am also running Windows 8.1.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Mar 10, 2014

The only way that I ever found to do it was to unzip the package on a computer sold in Japan then transfer the files to my computer. Not saying that is the only way, but it was the easiest for me to do so I never looked further into it.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Non-Unicode languages Mar 11, 2014

Control Panel > Region and Language > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode programs > Change system locale > Japanese (Japan)

Also try changing language of 7-zip to Japanese.

[Edited at 2014-03-11 07:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zipping/unzipping files with Japanese file names

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »