Thread poster: Luis Ruiz-Pailalef
Luis Ruiz-Pailalef
Luis Ruiz-Pailalef  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 17, 2023

Hello, dear colleagues! I have been looking for jobs in Proz.com, and found a project posted by an agency located in China. To apply for the project, they ask the translator to take a test, and provide a link to access it. What I do not like about it is that the "test" contains... 1,569 word to translate! What do you think? Is this correct? Is it a standard number? Or does it look and sound like a scam. Blue Board states the agency has a 4.9 rating.

Geoffrey Black

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jigsaw translation? Jun 17, 2023

One of the oldest tricks in the book.

https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/190051-the_outsourcer_copy_paste_test_predator.html#1668568

Walter Landesman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth
Mr. Satan (X)
Laurent Di Raimondo
Philip Lees
Geoffrey Black

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just move on! Jun 17, 2023

An unpaid test may have up to 250 words, give or take. 1569 words for a test - I assume it is not a paid test - is not acceptable. Obviously a scam. Disregard that project and just move on.

Best,

Liviu-Lee Roth
Jennifer Levey
Darius Sciuka
Yolanda Broad
finnword1
Mr. Satan (X)
Kevin Fulton

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
test translation Jun 18, 2023

No more than 300 words for a test translation.
Oftentimes BlueBoard ratings are meaningless.

Lieven Malaise
Josephine Cassar
finnword1
Geoffrey Black
Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 15:36
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Indeed Jun 18, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

Quite often the comments for notorious low-cost but well-rated agencies are completed with a sentence like "I hope to establish a long-term collaboration with this client!". You can almost taste the despair.

Michael Newton

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:36
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Luis Jun 18, 2023

As far as I can see, a Chinese agency rated 4.9 that posted a job and provided a link to the test, has clearly stated that 'you can select just one field or multiple fields'. Moreover, when you open the link, the first line at that page states: "Please select the language pair and field you are most familiar with".
There are 7 (seven) different tests in seven different fields, from 130 to 220 words each (the longest one has 260 words). The total word count of these 7 tests is about 1590 wo
... See more
As far as I can see, a Chinese agency rated 4.9 that posted a job and provided a link to the test, has clearly stated that 'you can select just one field or multiple fields'. Moreover, when you open the link, the first line at that page states: "Please select the language pair and field you are most familiar with".
There are 7 (seven) different tests in seven different fields, from 130 to 220 words each (the longest one has 260 words). The total word count of these 7 tests is about 1590 words but you do not need to complete all of them, so there is no problem at all.
Collapse

Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Recep Kurt
Roberto Audiffred
Jaime Oriard

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 16:36
English to Romanian
Job requirements Jun 18, 2023

Luis Ruiz-Pailalef wrote:

Hello, dear colleagues! I have been looking for jobs in Proz.com, and found a project posted by an agency located in China. To apply for the project, they ask the translator to take a test, and provide a link to access it. What I do not like about it is that the "test" contains... 1,569 word to translate! What do you think? Is this correct? Is it a standard number? Or does it look and sound like a scam. Blue Board states the agency has a 4.9 rating.

You are not compelled to cover all the fields listed... You may choose only one.

Roberto Audiffred

Luis Ruiz-Pailalef
Luis Ruiz-Pailalef  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grateful for your feedback Jun 18, 2023

I'd like to thank each and all of you for your comments and insights. The agency states that the potential translators may choose which texts to translate into their mother tongue; thus, not all of the texts must be translated. I am most grateful for the time and interest you invested in my replying to my query, dear colleagues out there.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
Yes, meaningless to me Jun 19, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

No more than 300 words for a test translation.

I don't trust the Blue Board. Once I saw that an agency had 16 "fives" on the same day. On the other hand, my most loyal customer is not even listed.

[Edited at 2023-06-20 16:28 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Rui Domingues
Rui Domingues  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:36
French to Portuguese
+ ...
It is important to read carefully what is said to avoid making hasty judgments... Jun 21, 2023

Natalie wrote:

There are 7 (seven) different tests in seven different fields, from 130 to 220 words each (the longest one has 260 words). The total word count of these 7 tests is about 1590 words but you do not need to complete all of them, so there is no problem at all.

... and it is also an important aspect of the translation work. To read carefully the source document to avoid misinterpretations.

expressisverbis
Francisco Alanis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of words in a Test to join a translation agency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »