Do we need to verify our email after replying to any email, sometimes?!
Thread poster: Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:08
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 8, 2023

Hi,

I have received an email from a person claiming he/she is an agency! They are asking about my rate and want my CV for working on a subtitling project.

After replying to their email, I have received an automatic reply contains the following:

"The message you sent requires that you verify that you
are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
the s
... See more
Hi,

I have received an email from a person claiming he/she is an agency! They are asking about my rate and want my CV for working on a subtitling project.

After replying to their email, I have received an automatic reply contains the following:

are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
the subject line intact.

Or, you can click the following link:

(The link followed with many email addresses)"

My question, is it ok to receive such email after ONLY replying to their email?

I have never received similar email/ reply from any agency or direct client.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 18:08
Japanese to English
Stop there May 8, 2023

I wouldn't click on any random links in an email from an untrusted sender.

Pause and do some research on the company/agency the person claims to represent.

If they are legit, write to them at their legitimate address/contact details and find out if this whole thing is genuine, then proceed through the proper channels.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Thayenga
Dler Piran
Dan Lucas
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not necessarily a scam May 9, 2023

Dalia Nour wrote:
"The message you sent requires that you verify that you are a real live human being and not a spam source. ... To complete this verification, simply reply to this message..."

I've had this before, and it turned out to be not a scam. Some agencies just have very aggressive anti-spam controls in place. This particular system is asking you to confirm your e-mail address. After all (perhaps you know this), it is possible to send an e-mail from one account and fake the heading so that it appears to come from another account. By asking you to confirm you e-mail address, the agency's anti-spam system confirms that the previous e-mail really came from you.

Obviously you have to take the same precautions as you would with any unknown or unexpected link. But in this case, you really did send them an e-mail and the reply does seem to come from them, and you can't infect your own computer by simply replying to an e-mail (as long as you do so by clicking or tapping a button that is a normal part of your e-mail program).

Thomas T. Frost
Dalia Nour

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:08
French to English
. May 9, 2023

are a real live human being and not a spam source."
Hmm let me check whether I'm a real live human being. Am I breathing? Yup. How many legs do I have? Two! Do I have a working brain? Yup! Do I have a soul? Ooooh lots of soul, nothing like a bit of soul to reach a state of bliss, now I want to listen to Aretha again and I'm supposed to be working.

Since I read about the Nigerian prince scam always including a few t
... See more
are a real live human being and not a spam source."
Hmm let me check whether I'm a real live human being. Am I breathing? Yup. How many legs do I have? Two! Do I have a working brain? Yup! Do I have a soul? Ooooh lots of soul, nothing like a bit of soul to reach a state of bliss, now I want to listen to Aretha again and I'm supposed to be working.

Since I read about the Nigerian prince scam always including a few typos to filter out people who can spell since that's a sign of intelligence, I've relentlessly got rid of any emails from unknown entities that contain the slightest error. I mean I wouldn't want to work for people who don't know the difference between "verify" and "prove" because that's asking for trouble.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Wolfgang Schoene

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:08
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 9, 2023

Thank you so much to all of you!

I didn't click on any links! I have just ignored their reply because I really found it weird.

I have made some research about the company and I didn't find any rating for them on the Blue Board.

Also, their website is not that professional.

So, I think it is a scam.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do we need to verify our email after replying to any email, sometimes?!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »