Thread poster: Yuqi_zzz
Yuqi_zzz
Yuqi_zzz
China
Local time: 23:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 3, 2023

I recently received an email, private email with @gmail.com, who is not a registered Proz user and could not be found on Linkedin or facebook.

Also, the company that put forward the proposal is a small private virtual investment company which doesn't seem like a proper company but could be found on the Internet.

Finally, just a quick question, are meeting MINUTE interpreted??? at 2000 AUD per finished script???

Really confusing for me as a novice.

[�
... See more
I recently received an email, private email with @gmail.com, who is not a registered Proz user and could not be found on Linkedin or facebook.

Also, the company that put forward the proposal is a small private virtual investment company which doesn't seem like a proper company but could be found on the Internet.

Finally, just a quick question, are meeting MINUTE interpreted??? at 2000 AUD per finished script???

[修改时间: 2023-05-03 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:29
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
UAD? May 3, 2023

A very confusing post. How long is the script?

Actually, I'd just pass given this is a non-registered user.

Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Carla Guerreiro

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:29
Danish to English
+ ...
Gmail → bin May 3, 2023

If someone writes from a Gmail address and claims to represent a company (unless perhaps it's a one-man company proposing freelance services), you can be almost certain it's a scam. It's usually not worth wasting any time on this.

Key_delete

Matthias Brombach
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Carla Guerreiro

Yuqi_zzz
Yuqi_zzz
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 3, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

If someone writes from a Gmail address and claims to represent a company (unless perhaps it's a one-man company proposing freelance services), you can be almost certain it's a scam. It's usually not worth wasting any time on this.

Key_delete

Now that I know, thank you!

Yuqi_zzz
Yuqi_zzz
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
typo May 3, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

A very confusing post. How long is the script?

Actually, I'd just pass given this is a non-registered user.

AUD, typo here. Thank you for the advice.

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 12:29
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Risk management center May 3, 2023

Hi Zoey!

I am glad to see that the community has already jumped in on this. I would also like to share with you a link to ProZ.com's Risk management center:

https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/risk-management

And, if you ever need help with a message that found you, or a job offer you found through ProZ.com, or with an
... See more
Hi Zoey!

I am glad to see that the community has already jumped in on this. I would also like to share with you a link to ProZ.com's Risk management center:

And, if you ever need help with a message that found you, or a job offer you found through ProZ.com, or with anything else related to the site, don't hesitate to contact the ProZ.com team. You can send a support request and we'll be with you as soon as possible: https://www.proz.com/support?&mode=ask
Collapse

Yuqi_zzz
Yuqi_zzz
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! May 3, 2023

Andrea Capuselli wrote:

Hi Zoey!

And, if you ever need help with a message that found you, or a job offer you found through ProZ.com, or with anything else related to the site, don't hesitate to contact the ProZ.com team. You can send a support request and we'll be with you as soon as possible: https://www.proz.com/support?&mode=ask

I found the links really useful! Thank you!

Nadia Isa
Nadia Isa  Identity Verified
Malaysia
English to Malay
+ ...
Scam detacted! May 5, 2023

Zoey Zhao wrote:

[修改时间: 2023-05-03 20:26 GMT]

Hi Zoey,

I got the same offer as what they offered you. AUD 2000 for every minutes translated! It happened to me in April, 2023.
I've been mislead into believing they offered a decent job, unfortunately it just a scam. Don't fall into their tactics.

Just stay safe.

Nadia Amilina Isa

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 08:29
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is the scam? May 31, 2023

Nadia Amilina Isa wrote:

I got the same offer as what they offered you. AUD 2000 for every minutes translated! It happened to me in April, 2023.

I've been mislead into believing they offered a decent job, unfortunately it just a scam. Don't fall into their tactics.

Hi Nadia,

I was almost certainly tapped by the same group that you and Zoey have referred to. Since this happened to you last month, do you know what the scam was? Did they try to steal your personal information? Did they send you translation work and then never pay you?

I am very curious as to what the point of these scams are as a way to help me better understand how to avoid them and avoid wasting my time.

Thanks!
Monica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a scam? New in industry

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »