Do not trust the email address "[email protected]" - Scam
Thread poster: morseglobal
morseglobal
morseglobal
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
Mar 3, 2023

Over recent months my company Morse Global Translations has received messages asking if requests from "[email protected]" are genuine. They are NOT.
Someone is using our company's logo and contact address to appear to be from our company.
Only emails from the domain name @morse-global.com are genuine.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for sharing Mar 3, 2023

Gmail addresses are usually fake and come from scammers, unless, of course, it is a private individual asking for a one-time translation.

It is always advisable to ask the company if that individual is known there. I have done so several times and it has saved me a lot of problems.

writeaway
Dan Lucas
Kevin Fulton

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Perplexed Mar 3, 2023

Why are companies using gmail scammers? I am a well established translator with 30+ years of translation experience, working through my LTD company and using a gmail account since the very first day of my translation career. Am I a scammer?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Gmail Mar 3, 2023

Thayenga wrote:

Gmail addresses are usually fake and come from scammers, unless, of course, it is a private individual asking for a one-time translation.

It's a shame some people automatically regard gmail addresses as coming from a scammer, but fortunately there are lots of people out there who don't react this way. I do have a gmail account but I have never scammed a single soul and I don’t intend to …

Robert Rietvelt
Jennifer Levey

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
NOT all Gmail addresses are fake Mar 3, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

It's a shame some people automatically regard gmail addresses as coming from a scammer, but fortunately there are lots of people out there who don't react this way.

As clearly stated, many private individuals or freelancers have free email accounts. However, many people pretending to be companies use them for their dishonest intentions. Again "many", not all. Also, "automatic" judgement is rather uncommon, at least as far as I'm concerned.

writeaway
Kevin Fulton

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Free e-mail account concerns Mar 3, 2023

We've had this discussion so many times in the past, and people using free e-mail providers always act very defensively!

Not all users of g-mail etc. are scammers — obviously!
HOWEVER — a vast majority of scammers use anonymous free e-mail providers.
Ergo, I treat these addresses with healthy suspicion and am extra-careful with ym due diligence.

Also, one of the arguments I subscribe to is that anyone who is a serious professional ought to at least have
... See more
We've had this discussion so many times in the past, and people using free e-mail providers always act very defensively!

Not all users of g-mail etc. are scammers — obviously!
HOWEVER — a vast majority of scammers use anonymous free e-mail providers.
Ergo, I treat these addresses with healthy suspicion and am extra-careful with ym due diligence.

Also, one of the arguments I subscribe to is that anyone who is a serious professional ought to at least have a paid ISP address — mine is an historic provider, but can still be seen as a proof of at least a basic level of seriousness. As far as customers are concerned, if they are in business, then I think they are very foolish to use a free e-mail, and indeed, the fact they pay for their own domain name is to me a sign of their professionalism.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Daryo

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Serbian to English
+ ...
Yes, but ... Mar 6, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

It's a shame some people automatically regard gmail addresses as coming from a scammer, but fortunately there are lots of people out there who don't react this way. I do have a gmail account but I have never scammed a single soul and I don’t intend to …

Personally, I can't stand the gmail user interface - tried it and let that email address extinct itself. A lot of gmail addresses are genuine, sure. But it gives a far better impression if you get your own domaine name, even if it's only to use it for your email address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do not trust the email address "[email protected]" - Scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »