Client sends many invitations but never orders. Is it scam?
Thread poster: cherrypick
cherrypick
cherrypick
China
Local time: 05:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 3, 2023

Hi guys, I'm here again, hope you are doing well.
I have a client that sends me job invitations many times but never ordered a PO. And when I ask them for a reason they never reply. I wonder is that a kind of scam? Do you have similar experience?
I also noticed they changed their name. It set an alarm to me because I can only think of it was because of bad reputation that a company have to change its name. Am I too suspicious? What's your opinion? I know there are many clients here t
... See more
Hi guys, I'm here again, hope you are doing well.
I have a client that sends me job invitations many times but never ordered a PO. And when I ask them for a reason they never reply. I wonder is that a kind of scam? Do you have similar experience?
I also noticed they changed their name. It set an alarm to me because I can only think of it was because of bad reputation that a company have to change its name. Am I too suspicious? What's your opinion? I know there are many clients here too, can you share your reason for altering the name of your company if you have done that before? Thanks.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:52
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very common, doesn't mean it's a scam Mar 3, 2023

It is very common to receive frequent job offers that are not followed through; you certainly can't expect an outsourcer to engage in discussion of their ordering policy! Just keep on applying for jobs; bear in mind that you may be at the high end of the price range for the particular language pair and/or your experience may be less than some others applying.

Companies do soemtimes change their names for various business reasons; but how are you knowing this? There can be many reaso
... See more
It is very common to receive frequent job offers that are not followed through; you certainly can't expect an outsourcer to engage in discussion of their ordering policy! Just keep on applying for jobs; bear in mind that you may be at the high end of the price range for the particular language pair and/or your experience may be less than some others applying.

Companies do soemtimes change their names for various business reasons; but how are you knowing this? There can be many reasons, including restructuring, mergers, etc.; I don't think one should start off by assuming there is any dishonet intention!

Of course, if you have any doubts about a company, you should definitely check them out via the Blue Board!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 23:52
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
First come first served basis? Mar 3, 2023

There are agencies which send invitations to basically any qualified translator in their base and the first one who accepts gets the job.
One of my clients works like that; while I do not think it is ideal, I can understand the (economic) logic behind this.
This may be how your client manages their project.

Dalia Nour
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michael Newton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client sends many invitations but never orders. Is it scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »