"Pay-to-work" scam: Remember that ProZ.com rules do not allow clients to solicit any kind of payment
Thread poster: Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 15:27
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 28, 2023

Hi all! I hope that you are having a great week.

It has been brought to ProZ.com Staff's attention that there's been a resurgence of what we call "pay-to-work scams," that is, schemes in which you are promised a big amount of well-paid work, but first asked to make an investment of your own: usually buy a microphone, camera or software tool, pay for a certification, or make some sort of "security deposit".

You can
... See more
Hi all! I hope that you are having a great week.

It has been brought to ProZ.com Staff's attention that there's been a resurgence of what we call "pay-to-work scams," that is, schemes in which you are promised a big amount of well-paid work, but first asked to make an investment of your own: usually buy a microphone, camera or software tool, pay for a certification, or make some sort of "security deposit".

You can learn more about some common variants of this scam here:

https://proz.papyrs.com/@knowledgebase/Scams#Pay-to-work-scam

Please remember that ProZ.com rules do not allow clients to solicit any kind of payment from you in order to work. If you receive any such request, don't hesitate to report it:

https://www.proz.com/support?&mode=ask

This does not necessarily mean that all cases in which you are expected to pay or buy something in order to start work are scams. But this kind of offer is, nonetheless, against site rules, and I would urge you to proceed with due care if you decide to move forward with such an offer.

Thank you for using the site!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
John Fossey
Marina Aleyeva
Adieu
Luca Colangelo

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:27
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
They are scams Feb 28, 2023

Andrea Capuselli wrote:

This does not necessarily mean that all cases in which you are expected to pay or buy something in order to start work are scams.

But they generally are. Please tell me when not? Don't ever go for it.

I work to be paid, I don't pay to work. This is the world upside down!

[Edited at 2023-02-28 21:27 GMT]

Barbara Carrara

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
I did Mar 1, 2023

I received one from an agency registered on Proz a short while ago but did not think of reporting it. I binned the email since I didn't want to waste my time and energy sending an email and going to and fro with email replies as I won't pay to get work. I will report it now then. Good thing someone brought this up.

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
What about free sample translations? Mar 1, 2023

Oh, how wonderful it would be if this rule were to include all the free test translations that hopeful clients demand.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Marina Aleyeva

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, it's specifically about sending money Mar 1, 2023

Gitte Hovedskov wrote:
How wonderful it would be if this rule were to include all the free test translations that hopeful clients demand.

Requesting a free test translation doesn't benefit the scammer. The scammer can't convert the test translation into money. The scammer wants money. He wants to sell you something useless or practically useless for a high mark-up.

Asking translators to purchase a subscription to a translation tool... that does come close to it, though. Especially if the translation tool can only be bought via that client or via an agent of that client. Something about a large cat and a way of crossing a river.

Added: asking you to pay for your test translation to be reviewed -- that would be "pay-to-work".

[Edited at 2023-03-01 08:46 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Jorge Payan
philgoddard

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pay in your time Mar 1, 2023

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Requesting a free test translation doesn't benefit the scammer. The scammer can't convert the test translation into money. The scammer wants money. He wants to sell you something useless or practically useless for a high mark-up.

I agree an unpaid test translation does not have to be a scam, but it can be if in fact it is a real job for the relevant agency. Also, you are paying: not in cash but in your time.

Asking translators to purchase a subscription to a translation tool... that does come close to it, though. Especially if the translation tool can only be bought via that client or via an agent of that client. Something about a large cat and a way of crossing a river.

And they come away with it (and grow fat on it)...

Both cases probably may not be called scams, but they don't feel right. But this is another discussion.

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Josephine Cassar
Marina Aleyeva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Pay-to-work" scam: Remember that ProZ.com rules do not allow clients to solicit any kind of payment

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »