Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2023

I just received the e-mail that I've cut and pasted below.

This is a variant of a scam that has been around for at least 7 years. At first glance, it might look legitimate (if you can somehow swallow the too-good-to-be-true hourly salary). What is new in this iteration is a photo (not visible below) of the person supposedly in charge of coordinating the hiring.

Not sure if this gentleman is in on the scam, or if his identity has simply been misappropriated. (The same qu
... See more

This is a variant of a scam that has been around for at least 7 years. At first glance, it might look legitimate (if you can somehow swallow the too-good-to-be-true hourly salary). What is new in this iteration is a photo (not visible below) of the person supposedly in charge of coordinating the hiring.

Not sure if this gentleman is in on the scam, or if his identity has simply been misappropriated. (The same question applies to the company.)

In any case, this surely is a scam, and I wanted to alert colleagues who may not be familiar with it.

Dear Applicant,

Happy new year 2023! I hope it’s off to a great start.

I am Wendy Uck from Otsuka-Europe. I am contacting you about your listing (contact information) published online, reviewed, and approved for the position of a Remote Freelance Translation/Interpretation position for (USD) $85/HR by the company HR Department via The American Translators Association Directory.

You've been assigned to Mr. Rodolfo Turenne (HR Coordinator) of Otsuka-Europe. he would be conducting an online interview with you.

COMPANY: Otsuka-Europe.
Job Name: Remote Translation/Interpretation.
Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time (Freelancer).
Hourly Rate: $85/Hour
Training Rate: $65/Hour.
Payment will be made via Direct Deposit or Check.

Telegram will be used for the purpose of the interview. If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

Please indicate your interest in an interview by reaching Mr. Rodolfo Turenne on Telegram using this link (https://t.me/Rodolfo_Turenne) or Kindly have Telegram downloaded on any of your devices (either Laptop or Phone) and add up the Hr. Coordinator (@Rodolfo_Turenne) and instant message him with his screen name to proceed with the job interview process.

Rodolfo Turenne
Portfolio Management and Project Management Office
t.me

[PHOTO]

Interview Scheduled: Mondays - Saturdays
Venue: Online Via Telegram
Time: 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST (Flexible)
Training is available.

Your verification code is (Pharma_TRA_11011). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

NOTE: JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND COMPANY BRIEFINGS WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE HR COORDINATOR VIA TELEGRAM.

Regards From,
Wendy Uck,
Copyright © 2023 Otsuka-Europe

[Edited at 2023-01-11 18:54 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Ramos

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:44
Danish to English
+ ...
Clear scam Jan 11, 2023

It's screaming 'scam' from start to finish. The photo is most likely stolen online. Try to Google it at https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=EN .

Walter Landesman
Dan Lucas
Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour
Mr. Satan (X)

Daniel Fernandes
Daniel Fernandes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:44
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The shortened link Jan 12, 2023

The shortened link - as we say in Brazil, it's the last nail on the coffin. This is why I would think it's a scam.

Ok, it alone doesn't ring the bell. But I don't want to teach these scammers how to fool us better.

Dalia Nour
Mr. Satan (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Jan 12, 2023

I wonder why scammers have a clear preference for pharma companies...

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Pharmacies Jan 12, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Maybe the scammers are using tablet computers.

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Lieven Malaise
Kevin Fulton
writeaway

Xiaomeng Wang
Xiaomeng Wang
Germany
Local time: 10:44
German to Chinese
+ ...
Why always telegram Jan 12, 2023

I met so many scams that required to be contacted through telegram, this is a sign for me afterwards.

Josephine Cassar
Mr. Satan (X)

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Easy Jan 13, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Because our industry knows they are whale clients who pay good money and have endless streams of easy repetitve work.

An "in" with a pharma company can easily be worth $100k+ in business.

They figure translators will be willing to take risks on something rather suspicious-looking for a chance to land such a client.

Quality scams ALWAYS rope marks in by manipulating their greed to outweigh their better judgment.

[Edited at 2023-01-13 17:47 GMT]

Daryo
Mr. Satan (X)
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Bruce Tuggy
Bruce Tuggy
United States
Local time: 01:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
"This surely is a scam" — but what is the proof? Apr 24, 2023

[quote]Robert Forstag wrote:

In any case, this surely is a scam, and I wanted to alert colleagues who may not be familiar with it.

I am Wendy Uck from Otsuka-Europe. I am contacting you about your listing (contact information) published online, reviewed, and approved for the position of a Remote Freelance Translation/Interpretation position for (USD) $85/HR by the company HR Department via The American Translators Association Directory.

Okay, so what did this scammer actually do that proved that this was a scam? Why is this scam dangerous? More information, please.

You haven't detailed anything that was dishonest or a theft thus far.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Omen Apr 25, 2023

Bruce Tuggy wrote:
Okay, so what did this scammer actually do that proved that this was a scam? Why is this scam dangerous? More information, please.

Robert Forstag wrote:
> Payment will be made via Direct Deposit or Check.
> Telegram will be used for the purpose of the interview.
> Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position...

The writing is on the wall, mate.

Thomas T. Frost
Robert Forstag

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
We can't say for sure until we try Apr 25, 2023

Bruce Tuggy wrote:

You haven't detailed anything that was dishonest or a theft thus far.

It will lead to a request for money one way or another. It could be the old cheque prepayment scam. Or they may ask for money for some bogus purpose such as registration with an authority. Or they may ask you to buy certain items, which they will refund – which leads back to the cheque prepayment scam.

There is no 'proof' it's a scam yet. Legitimate companies just don't proceed this way. You need to use your gut feeling.

Robert Forstag
Dan Lucas
Mr. Satan (X)
Elena Kolesnikova

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New wrinkle in an old scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »