Member (2015)
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2022

name: Ashley Morgan
email: [email protected]
phone number: +1 773 492 1545
paid via phoney cheque and asked for refund

This person contacted me via email about a job translating an academic paper from Spanish to English.

They paid upfront with a cheque delivered by FedEx. As soon as the cheque was deposited in my account, they stated that the job had been cancelled/delayed and that they
... See more
name: Ashley Morgan
email: [email protected]
phone number: +1 773 492 1545
paid via phoney cheque and asked for refund

This person contacted me via email about a job translating an academic paper from Spanish to English.

They paid upfront with a cheque delivered by FedEx. As soon as the cheque was deposited in my account, they stated that the job had been cancelled/delayed and that they needed the money (or some of the money) refunded right away for a medical emergency (pressuring me to refund the money quickly). They asked if I could transfer the money via Zelle or paypal.

The cheque was not honoured by the issuing bank (perhaps it was counterfeit).

I want to do everything I can to make sure other translators are not taken in by this scam. You can see how there were several red flags. Don't ever trust a cheque coming from a client you do not know and who is not listed and rated on proz.

Note that your bank may credit the funds to your account the next day, but that does not mean the cheque won't "bounce" and it may take up to 10 business days.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
This is a really old scam Nov 16, 2022

It's been around almost as long as the Nigerian prince with money to hide. We discuss it at frequent intervals, the last time being a few days ago.
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/359768-linda_sun_scam.html

Chris Tamigi
Michael Newton
Michele Fauble
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The full circle! Nov 18, 2022

When a scammer uses the name of someone who was scammed…

https://cyber-forensics.net/overpayment-scams-are-back/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM: Ashley Morgan ES>EN

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »