Thread poster: Michael Newton
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2022

A few days ago I was contacted by a "Linda Sun" who offered me a large Japanese-to-English translation project. The terms were the same old story. Provide a word count and a fee for the total translation and she would send me a cashier's check for the project in advance. Reg flags: "cashier's check", "payment in advance". I said that before I did business with her I needed to know the name of her company, the address, her company's website and what country she was located in. I never heard from ... See more
A few days ago I was contacted by a "Linda Sun" who offered me a large Japanese-to-English translation project. The terms were the same old story. Provide a word count and a fee for the total translation and she would send me a cashier's check for the project in advance. Reg flags: "cashier's check", "payment in advance". I said that before I did business with her I needed to know the name of her company, the address, her company's website and what country she was located in. I never heard from her again. So beware of a "Linda Sun". Maybe some of you have already heard from her.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton
Dalia Nour

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
This has been going on for about 25 years... Nov 12, 2022

...and people still fall for it.

SAQIB Zaman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
IKR Nov 14, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

When will they learn?

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
English to Czech
+ ...
Since cheques exist...?? Nov 14, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

In fact, even longer! I've read somewhere that it was around already in the preinternet era!

Danielle Henripin
Danielle Henripin
United States
Local time: 04:05
English to French
Scam avoided! Nov 18, 2022

Thanks to those of you who shared information about a certain alleged scammer, still using the same name and email address, btw. I'm new to ProZ and I guess scammers look for newbies. But the phrase 'cashier's check' gave this person away, so I came here to look for info - suspicions confirmed! Does anyone have experience using the ProZ payment tools?

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 01:05
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
FYI Nov 18, 2022

I was just tapped by Linda Sun as well. Glad I checked here first. I am newish to the freelance world and got a little excited at the prospect of being sought out.

I will follow your lead Michael and ask for a company name, address, website and country. Thanks for helping us newbies see the scams coming. Really appreciated!

Serhan Elmacıoğlu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Linda Sun' scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »