Excessive applications from English-Portuguese translators. Anybody else "suffering" from this?
Thread poster: Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Germany
Local time: 15:05
Member (2008)
German to English
Oct 20, 2022

Okay, in the last three or four days, I've had a couple of dozen applications from mostly Brazil-based translators who want to work with me as a freelance translator. They all translate in various combinations of Portuguese and/or to/from English.

This has only been happening for a few days, as I said. The applications are all different in style, each apparently individually written (and well written). Many have links to real profiles on LinkedIn and here on Pros.

So I
... See more
Okay, in the last three or four days, I've had a couple of dozen applications from mostly Brazil-based translators who want to work with me as a freelance translator. They all translate in various combinations of Portuguese and/or to/from English.

This has only been happening for a few days, as I said. The applications are all different in style, each apparently individually written (and well written). Many have links to real profiles on LinkedIn and here on Pros.

So I don't actually think it's a scam (more like spam), but I'm suddenly getting SO MANY of these. On top of which, I'm a freelancer myself and I like it that way. I don't employ others, and I have no desire to become an agency.

Is anybody else here experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas why this might be happening? TIA for any advice!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Most probably Oct 20, 2022

these applicants are just scammers sending stolen CVs and located not in Brazil but somewhere in a quite different part of the world, e.g. Palestine. Please see https://www.proz.com/topic/230462 to begin with; there are also many other threads on similar topics.

Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
These are different... Oct 20, 2022

Natalie wrote:

these applicants are just scammers sending stolen CVs and located not in Brazil but somewhere in a quite different part of the world, e.g. Palestine. Please see https://www.proz.com/topic/230462 to begin with; there are also many other threads on similar topics.

My first thought was scammers, too. But these are different. They don't contain the usual red flags of a scam: bad English, bad spelling, dodgy email addresses, phone numbers that go to Palestine, etc. The email addresses and contact for the translators I've checked are mostly readily available on other sites.

Also I don't see a benefit for the scammers. They're offering their services at a range of rates, mostly relatively low (by my European-based standards).

They don't really smell like a scam, and my scam-snoot is pretty sensitive these days.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Edwin Oct 21, 2022

You're not alone! I have been receiving every single day applications from translators all over the world since 2020. This morning I only had 5, but check this: https://tur.proz.com/forum/scams/346231-frequent_applications_with_cv_received_scam.html

At first, I had a look at some of them and they were genuine applications, not scams, bu
... See more
You're not alone! I have been receiving every single day applications from translators all over the world since 2020. This morning I only had 5, but check this: https://tur.proz.com/forum/scams/346231-frequent_applications_with_cv_received_scam.html

At first, I had a look at some of them and they were genuine applications, not scams, but now I just ignore them and delete everything...

[Edited at 2022-10-21 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Oct 21, 2022

Yes, deleted three today, and there were two yesterday, all with Brazilian Portuguese.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm sorry to hear that Oct 21, 2022

No, fortunately, I am not "suffering" from that experience, but from time to time I receive private emails from Brazilian Portuguese translators asking for tips to enter the translation market and about my experience as a translator.
Well, I am not the best person to answer because I translate exclusively into European Portuguese, my native language. I don't know the Brazilian translation market.
To me, those are new members who want to start working in the translation industry no ma
... See more
No, fortunately, I am not "suffering" from that experience, but from time to time I receive private emails from Brazilian Portuguese translators asking for tips to enter the translation market and about my experience as a translator.
Well, I am not the best person to answer because I translate exclusively into European Portuguese, my native language. I don't know the Brazilian translation market.
To me, those are new members who want to start working in the translation industry no matter how, and maybe they think the easiest way is to send applications and their CVs.
Proz offers useful information for them and many more.
All it takes is effort, persistence, honesty and mastering their native language and the foreign languages they work with.
Sending applications is not the main or the best approach, especially when they are sent to the wrong people, freelancer translators like us.

[Edited at 2022-10-21 09:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lists Oct 21, 2022

Maybe some enterprise is aggressively marketing lists of "translation agencies" to translators in Brazil. These could be bona fide translators seeking to encounter new clients. They read the come-on for purchasing the list, buy the list, and then hopefully follow up with people like us.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Oh yes Oct 21, 2022

Edwin Miles wrote:

So I don't actually think it's a scam (more like spam), but I'm suddenly getting SO MANY of these. On top of which, I'm a freelancer myself and I like it that way. I don't employ others, and I have no desire to become an agency.

Is anybody else here experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas why this might be happening? TIA for any advice!

I'm getting lots of "applications" for all sorts of language combos and from many countries every day and although I practice as a company (until the end of the year) I'm no outsourcer. Notably, 99.9% of all applications have gmail addresses. Never found out where they originate from.

[Edited at 2022-10-21 14:23 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Elections-related worries? Oct 21, 2022

Perhaps people are anticipating a crisis and trying to diversify/lock in foreign clients who pay in foreign currency?

expressisverbis

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I've received 5 more this morning Oct 21, 2022

All with Brazilian Portuguese. Something is really going on.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's strange Oct 24, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Perhaps people are anticipating a crisis and trying to diversify/lock in foreign clients who pay in foreign currency?

The instability has been going on for quite some time and proof of this is the large number of Brazilians who are moving to Portugal.
What is strange here is that they send these bulky applications all of them in the same short period of time.
Another colleague facing the same situation:
https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/359530-translators_application_emails_flooding_my_mailbox.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excessive applications from English-Portuguese translators. Anybody else "suffering" from this?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »