expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:12
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're right Oct 21, 2022

Daryo wrote:

Speaking of technical details, it's "prepayment by cheque", not "prepaid cheques".

I don't know where I got the "prepaid cheque" from! It's something completely diferent!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
prepayment Oct 26, 2022

I got such a check. It was extremely official looking. I took it to my bank and they immediately identified it as a fraud. The address turned out to be a disused building in Reno, Nevada. Nobody in the US pays translators by check anymore. The reason being: "Oh, we sent you a check yesterday. It might take a week or so to reach you". Yeah right. The only case in which I accept checks is from law firms which are quite reliable. From time to time, I get the "offer" of a huge translation with prepa... See more
I got such a check. It was extremely official looking. I took it to my bank and they immediately identified it as a fraud. The address turned out to be a disused building in Reno, Nevada. Nobody in the US pays translators by check anymore. The reason being: "Oh, we sent you a check yesterday. It might take a week or so to reach you". Yeah right. The only case in which I accept checks is from law firms which are quite reliable. From time to time, I get the "offer" of a huge translation with prepayment. I thank them. I also tell them that if they send a check which is far in excess of the regular fee, the check will go in the trash bin. I never hear from them again. If this ever happens to you, tell them what I told them. Checks in excess amounts will be binned. If enough people call them out on it, they might stop.Collapse

expressisverbis
Daryo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of individuals willing to pay translators prior to completing the job

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »