Thread poster: AcornTr_US
AcornTr_US
AcornTr_US  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
French to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2022

Hi, I just got an email from someone who claims to be from Ethypharm; have a very bad feeling about it. Posting so that others don't get scammed. Here's a copy of the email.

To: [email protected]
CC: My Yahoo email address

Dear Prospective Employee,

Welcome to ETHYPHARM. Ethypharm
... See more
Hi, I just got an email from someone who claims to be from Ethypharm; have a very bad feeling about it. Posting so that others don't get scammed. Here's a copy of the email.

To: [email protected]
CC: My Yahoo email address

Dear Prospective Employee,

Welcome to ETHYPHARM. Ethypharm is looking for a talented Translator with excellent proficiency in English and French. Your listing (contact information) published on (American Translator Association-ATA) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (Ethypharm) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise. You've been assigned to Dr. Christopher Brian, Human Resource Coordinator, Ethypharm. He would be conducting an online interview with you.

COMPANY: ETHYPHARM
Position: Translator/Interpreter
Job Type: P-Time, F-Time (Freelancer).
Hourly Rate: $50/hour.
Training Rate: $25/hour.

Payment will be made via Direct Deposit or Check.

Telegram will be used for the purpose of the interview. If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

Please indicate your interest in an interview by reaching Mr Christopher Brian on Telegram using this Link- https://t.me/Christopher_Brian_1

or
Kindly have Telegram downloaded on any of your devices (either Laptop or Phone) and add up the Hiring Officer (@Christopher_Brian_1) and instant message Him with His screen name to proceed with the job interview process.

Interview Scheduled: Monday - Saturday
Venue: Online Via Telegram
Time: 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST (Flexible)
Training is available..

Your verification code is (TRA_017). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work-from-home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

NOTE:MORE ABOUT JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND COMPANY BRIEFINGS WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE HR COORDINATOR VIA TELEGRAM.

Regards From,.
Hiring Manager, Ethypharm.
©️Ethypharm 2022

Stay safe
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Karen Schmucker

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
possible scam? Sep 29, 2022

Even if this were not a scam, who would want to go through this rigamarole? What a lot of hoops to run through. And who uses telegrams nowadays?
I get "offers" from companies who say they saw me on the ATA membership list (even though I am not a member of the ATA).

Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth
Karen Schmucker

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:56
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Benefits? Sep 29, 2022

All this information for the "prospective EMPLOYEE" says nothing about any benefits every employee is entitled to. Perhaps they realized their mistake and included that this is a freelance "position".

Whenever I receive emails from an agency employee and have a uneasy feeling about it, I simply check with the company/agency's CEO. This way you know for sure whether this person is who he claims to be or just a scammer.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pharma companies Sep 29, 2022

For some time, scammers have had a preference for pharma companies…

ht
... See more
For some time, scammers have had a preference for pharma companies…

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.htm
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337165-new_scam_ariana_pharma.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/342778-new_scam_from_"wockhardt"_pharma_company.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/340112-aptar_pharma_is_it_scam.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/336289-bayer_pharma_job_offer_scam.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/344164-unsolicited_offer_from_teva_pharmaceuticals.html
(…)
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Dalia Nour
Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
Michael Newton

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Scam domain Sep 29, 2022

The domain that ends with an A is a scam domain created just two months ago, which has nothing to do with the actual company. A company like that would obviously not send an email from an obscure domain such as lcs-syke.schule.

In the Whois records (https://whois.domaintools.com/ethypharma.com, for example), there is always an email address for reporting abuse.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 085527

Dalia Nour
Kevin Fulton
Barbara Carrara
Adieu

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
possible scam Sep 30, 2022

$50 an hour is too good to be true.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Red Flags Sep 30, 2022

For those who are not familiar with Telegram, it’s an instant messaging platform much like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. However, Telegram is often associated with alt-right groups seeking for a place to have private discussions without the fear of having their conversations leaking out or being spied on. While the logical fallacy of it is a very interesting topic on its own, it doesn’t belong on this thread or even this website. The relevant point is that no serious business would use Te... See more
For those who are not familiar with Telegram, it’s an instant messaging platform much like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. However, Telegram is often associated with alt-right groups seeking for a place to have private discussions without the fear of having their conversations leaking out or being spied on. While the logical fallacy of it is a very interesting topic on its own, it doesn’t belong on this thread or even this website. The relevant point is that no serious business would use Telegram in any part of their recruitment process. Although interviewing linguists is a controversial subject on ProZ (lol what isn’t?), when an outsourcer made such requests, it would be done via Zoom or at least Skype. Telegram, along with WhatsApp, are also typically used in the schematics of investment scams on YouTube.

Aside from the payment by check, another thing that caught my attention is the part where it said “Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position.” This is one of the most classic social engineering techniques in the book. People wouldn't think logically when they are panicking.

Based on these trivia and Thomas’ digital forensic analysis, I am 99.99% confident to say this is a scam.

[Edited at 2022-10-01 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Michael Newton
Adieu
Jorge Payan
Liviu-Lee Roth
Arianne Farah

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
It's a scam because dodgy domains used Sep 30, 2022

But $50-ish per hour is actually quite realistic in pharma/clinical trials work.

This, however, IS a scam, because:
1) False domains used
2) "Employee", the scammer doesn't realize all Western companies use the contractor model for translators
3) TELEGRAM!!! The messenger all of Russia uses, but more importantly, is under the impression that OTHERS use it too. They're so accustomed to it that they think it doesn't raise any flags. In fact, any mention of Telegram b
... See more
But $50-ish per hour is actually quite realistic in pharma/clinical trials work.

This, however, IS a scam, because:
1) False domains used
2) "Employee", the scammer doesn't realize all Western companies use the contractor model for translators
3) TELEGRAM!!! The messenger all of Russia uses, but more importantly, is under the impression that OTHERS use it too. They're so accustomed to it that they think it doesn't raise any flags. In fact, any mention of Telegram by someone claiming to NOT be from ex-Soviet territories is a huge flag for scams/impersonation/identity theft.

Michael Newton wrote:

$50 an hour is too good to be true.
Collapse

Adam Lozier
Liviu-Lee Roth

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
XAXAXA! Oct 2, 2022

Adieu wrote:

TELEGRAM!!! The messenger all of Russia uses, but more importantly, is under the impression that OTHERS use it too. They're so accustomed to it that they think it doesn't raise any flags. In fact, any mention of Telegram by someone claiming to NOT be from ex-Soviet territories is a huge flag for scams/impersonation/identity theft.

Could this be a plot devised by he-who-shall-not-be-named to take revenge on those eeeeeeeeeeeevil Americans™?

(dun dun dun)

Michael Newton

jon mcgill
jon mcgill  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
Arabic to English
Another 'ETHYPHARM' scam Dec 26, 2022

I got just about the same thing just now: Dear Prospective Employee,

Welcome to ETHYPHARM. Ethypharm is looking for a talented Translator/Interpreter with excellent proficiency in English and Target Language. Your listing (contact information) published on (American Translator Association-ATA) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (Ethypharm) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing....

Liviu-Lee Roth

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
possible scam Jan 2, 2023

Whenever I receive what appears to be a scam, I always ask them for their address in Nigeria. Needless to say, I never hear back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam/dodgy email:ETHYPHARM HR

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »