Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:27
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2022

Dear colleagues,

Earlier today, I received an email from zoominfo which I'd like to share with you (please note I informed site support, and they authorised me to do it).
It is quite long, but worth reading, I think.
Here goes:

Notice of personal information processing

This Personal Information Notice is to inform you of the collection, processing, and sale of certain personal information or personal data about you ("Personal Information
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Earlier today, I received an email from zoominfo which I'd like to share with you (please note I informed site support, and they authorised me to do it).
It is quite long, but worth reading, I think.
Here goes:

Notice of personal information processing

This Personal Information Notice is to inform you of the collection, processing, and sale of certain personal information or personal data about you ("Personal Information"). ZoomInfo collects business contact and similar information related to individuals when they are working in their professional or employment capacity, and uses this information to create professional profiles of individuals (“Professional Profiles”) and profiles of businesses (“Business Profiles”). We provide this information to our customers, who are businesses trying to reach business professionals for their own business-to-business sales, marketing, and recruiting activities.

You can opt out of our database visiting our Privacy Center. At the Privacy Center you can also submit an access request or claim your professional profile and update your profile information. Using the Privacy Center is the quickest and easiest way to access your information or have it deleted or corrected. However, if you prefer to email or call us, our contact information is listed under the Who We Are section below. For additional information, please review our Privacy Policy [link removed].

Personal Information Processed
In connection with our creation of Professional Profiles, we may collect and process any or all of the following types of Personal Information about you:
Name
Profile picture associated with your professional
Telephone number (general or direct business numbers, faxes, and/or mobile numbers)
Email address, including business and/or other email addresses (including “freemails” such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.)
Job title and department
Office address
Company name
Work history
Education history
Professional affiliations
Links to social media profiles
Links to articles by, about, or quoting you (“web references”)
Inferences drawn from personal data in these categories

Purpose of Processing
ZoomInfo processes this information for purposes including organizing and making available Professional Profiles and Business Profiles to our customers for their direct marketing, sales, and/or recruiting activities via our products and services, or to customers who sublicense such data to their customers for any of the same purposes; testing, developing, improving, and enhancing our products and services; and for our own direct marketing, sales and recruiting purposes. Profile information is provided to our customers or partners subject to restrictive license agreements that limit the use to those specified purposes and prohibits the unauthorized use or transfer of the information.

Certain limited Personal Information in Professional Profiles may also be made publicly available in our directory pages portion of our website (“Directory Pages”). The types of Personal Information that may be made publicly available in Directory Pages include name, company, telephone number for company headquarters, office address, job title, education and work history, professional affiliations, and/or web references. Direct contact information, such as direct phone line, mobile number, or email addresses, are not provided in Directory Pages.

Lawful Basis
ZoomInfo's processing of your Personal Information is normally based on the legitimate interest of itself and its customers and partners to engage in direct marketing, sales, and recruiting activities, and ZoomInfo’s legitimate interests in organizing and making available Professional and Business Profiles, given the limited impact that this use of this business contact and similar information presents to an individual’s private life. We may also rely on other legal bases in certain situations, including for performance of a contract with you, as necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, or consent, as applicable.

Categories of Recipients
This Personal Information may be provided, subject to restrictive license agreements, to ZoomInfo's customers, its partners, or the customers of its partners. These recipients are business organizations who are permitted to use the information only for lawful sales, marketing, and recruiting purposes. The substantive terms of ZoomInfo's license agreements may be reviewed [link removed].

The limited Personal Information in our Directory Pages, as described above, may be provided to anyone who visits our Directory Pages on our website.

Retention Period
ZoomInfo endeavors to provide the most accurate information possible to its Customers. We seek to verify the accuracy of our information as frequently as possible and to remove information that we learn to be inaccurate. Thus, we intend to process the information we have about you for so long as it is accurate or until you instruct us to refrain from processing it.

Your Rights
You have the right to request that ZoomInfo (1) provide you with access to your Personal Information, (2) rectify or correct your Personal Information, (3) erase your Personal Information, or (4) restrict processing of your Personal Information, including refraining from selling it or otherwise providing it to any third parties. You also have the right to object to processing, to data portability, and to lodge a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in your country, if any. If we are processing your biometric information in connection with your use of our products or services, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. The foregoing rights may be subject to certain limitations pursuant to applicable law.

International Transfers
ZoomInfo may transfer Personal Information internationally. We ensure that transfers of Personal Information to a third country are subject to appropriate safeguards, such as the UK or EU Standard Contractual Clauses, as applicable.

Sources of Personal Information
ZoomInfo gathers Personal Information from several sources, which include publicly available sources such as websites and government records, contributions from our customers or other individuals, third party data providers, or through phone interviews, market research surveys, and other research conducted by our in-house research team. Because information from several sources may be combined into one record, it may be difficult to identify the exact source of one particular piece of information.

Who We Are
ZoomInfo is ZoomInfo Technologies LLC, and we are located at 805 Broadway St, Suite 900, Vancouver, WA 98660. We can be reached at [email protected] or by phone at 833-901-0859. ZoomInfo is a registered data broker in the State of California and Vermont.

Our Article 27 Representative
VeraSafe has been appointed as ZoomInfo's representative in the EU for data protection matters, pursuant to Article 27 of the GDPR. If you are in the European Economic Area, VeraSafe can be contacted in addition to our DPO only on matters related to the processing of personal data. To make such an inquiry, please contact VeraSafe using [link to contact form removed] or via telephone at: [telephone no.].

Alternatively, VeraSafe can be contacted at:
[full address of VeraSafe in Ireland removed]

Regards,

ZoomInfo Privacy

-------

Not only have I never subscribed to their 'services', but I've never authorised zoominfo or any other such portals to access, use, let alone sell my personal information to their customers, who in turn may sublicense such data to their customers.
To me, this reads extremely unlawful, irrespective of how bad they are trying to persuade us that it is.

I've searched the forum section and found a 2014 thread, discussing this same topic, albeit referring to another data-harvesting portal,
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/277379-unauthorised_directory_listing.html

Care to comment?
If you've received the same zoominfo 'notice', or a similar one, have you confronted them?
How best to respond to the above in a firm, unequivocal manner? Suggestions welcome.
Thanks,

Barbara
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thayenga
ANGELA DELANEY

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:27
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Short and clear Mar 28, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Care to comment?
If you've received the same zoominfo 'notice', or a similar one, have you confronted them?
How best to respond to the above in a firm, unequivocal manner? Suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Barbara

I once received such "notice" from another "harvester" and simply informed them that, should I ever detect any use of any of my information through/by them, I will immediately press charged against them without further notice. Before I wished them a wonderful day I reminded them of the fact that I had never agreed to their unlawful use of my information and also let them know that I will be checking their activities regarding my personal information. End of story.

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Daniela Zambrini

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:27
Danish to English
+ ...
Leeches Jul 2, 2023

Got one of those from Zoominfo in June and another one from a similar gang of data thieves at Seamless.ai in April.

In both cases, I complained and asked to be taken off their lists.

Article 14 (2) (f) of the GDPR states that the following information must be provided when they send a notice of data processing:

‘from which source the personal data originate, and if applicable, whether it came from publicly accessible sources’

None of the c
... See more
Got one of those from Zoominfo in June and another one from a similar gang of data thieves at Seamless.ai in April.

In both cases, I complained and asked to be taken off their lists.

Article 14 (2) (f) of the GDPR states that the following information must be provided when they send a notice of data processing:

‘from which source the personal data originate, and if applicable, whether it came from publicly accessible sources’

None of the companies provided that, which means they are acting illegally.

It is also illegal to collect and process such data without consent, as they have no legitimate basis for doing this.

As for Zoominfo, their Privacy Policy contains the following:

Our Article 27 Representative

VeraSafe has been appointed as ZoomInfo’s representative in the EU for data protection matters, pursuant to Article 27 of the GDPR. For individuals who are in the European Economic Area, VeraSafe can be contacted in addition to our DPO only on matters related to the processing of personal data. To make such an inquiry, please contact VeraSafe using this contact form [not a contact form] or via telephone at: +420 228 881 031.

Alternatively, VeraSafe can be contacted at:

VeraSafe Ireland Ltd. Unit 3D North Point House
North Point Business Park
New Mallow Road
Cork T23AT2P
Ireland

This means a complaint can be lodged with the Irish Data Protection Authority, the Data Protection Commission,
www.dataprotection.ie.

It is less clear where to complain when a company has not appointed an EU representative.

Apart from complaining to the companies and the DPA, one can give them bad reviews on sites such as Trustpilot and on social media.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A 'Notice of personal information processing' from zoominfo

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »