Thread poster: William Hepner
William Hepner
William Hepner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
Sep 17, 2022

I’ve been thinking lately about the nature of this industry as a freelancer, especially in relation to other industries and even other kinds of businesses (and I continue in the belief that freelancing is, more or less, running your own business). I thought it could be worth sharing my thoughts, since I don’t think I’m alone in feeling as I do.

More than any other freelance-driven pursuit, freelance translation has a unique value for those who, like me, are more motivated by
... See more
I’ve been thinking lately about the nature of this industry as a freelancer, especially in relation to other industries and even other kinds of businesses (and I continue in the belief that freelancing is, more or less, running your own business). I thought it could be worth sharing my thoughts, since I don’t think I’m alone in feeling as I do.

More than any other freelance-driven pursuit, freelance translation has a unique value for those who, like me, are more motivated by professional excellence and intellectual curiosity than by the pursuit of material wealth, money, or power, but who still enjoy the bracing independence and growth potential of entrepreneurship. In other words, I think the freelance translator has the potential to achieve both professional excellence by complying with a (fairly high, in my opinion) intellectual standard, and economic or financial success in the context of the free market that we’re all competing in.

And as long as the freelance translator maintains certain personal and ethical standards, I think these two aspects balance each other out very nicely; the freelance translator can get on with the business of making a living without abandoning standards of personal excellence or intellectual achievement that are very hard to find in many other profit-driven industries, that is, unless there are objective standards.

On that note, the translation industry does seem to have these standards. Maybe they do exist in other kinds of freelancing or businesses, but the fact that respected certifications and definite professional milestones exist for freelance translators makes it a rare pursuit, in my opinion, and very satisfying for the right kind of person. Or perhaps it’s just good to know that having a business while living up to high and self-motivated personal standards is possible, since the profit motive can only get us so far in life.

I hope I wasn’t too long-winded here. What do you think about the nature of this industry as a freelancer in comparison with other industries, businesses, or profit-making pursuits?
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The most important thing for me Sep 17, 2022

For me, the most important thing is not having to take orders from anybody.

Metin Demirel
Kartik Isaac
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
philgoddard
expressisverbis
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Freedom Sep 18, 2022

For me, the best part of being a freelancer is the freedom and control over what I do, when I do it, and who I do it for (the power to reject any project or client I don’t like). Other practical pros are no commuting, no pointless meetings, no dress code. I worked in-house for 20 years and retired in 2006. I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay and benefits. I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support... See more
For me, the best part of being a freelancer is the freedom and control over what I do, when I do it, and who I do it for (the power to reject any project or client I don’t like). Other practical pros are no commuting, no pointless meetings, no dress code. I worked in-house for 20 years and retired in 2006. I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay and benefits. I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support but I wouldn’t go back.Collapse

expressisverbis
Anette Hilgendag
Maria Bellido Lois
Gerard Barry
Kay Denney
Emanuele Vacca
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The good sides to me Sep 18, 2022

Even though, our profession is undervalued by some, there are many good sides, beyond freedom and self-employment.
To me, the interaction with people of different backgrounds and cultures, tough terms that keep my brain working while improving my knowldege, learning new things and developing my skills every day.

Emanuele Vacca
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Anis Amalia
Barbara Carrara

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Spain
Local time: 17:52
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Freedom Sep 18, 2022

Freedom to decide what, when, where and how to do things.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Anette Hilgendag
Maria Bellido Lois
Gerard Barry
Emanuele Vacca
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Assumption Sep 21, 2022

William Hepner wrote:

More than any other freelance-driven pursuit, freelance translation has a unique value for those who, like me, are more motivated by professional excellence and intellectual curiosity than by the pursuit of material wealth, money, or power, but who still enjoy the bracing independence and growth potential of entrepreneurship. In other words, I think the freelance translator has the potential to achieve both professional excellence by complying with a (fairly high, in my opinion) intellectual standard, and economic or financial success in the context of the free market that we’re all competing in.

And as long as the freelance translator maintains certain personal and ethical standards, I think these two aspects balance each other out very nicely; the freelance translator can get on with the business of making a living without abandoning standards of personal excellence or intellectual achievement that are very hard to find in many other profit-driven industries, that is, unless there are objective standards.

On that note, the translation industry does seem to have these standards. Maybe they do exist in other kinds of freelancing or businesses, but the fact that respected certifications and definite professional milestones exist for freelance translators makes it a rare pursuit, in my opinion, and very satisfying for the right kind of person. Or perhaps it’s just good to know that having a business while living up to high and self-motivated personal standards is possible, since the profit motive can only get us so far in life.

It’s a bold assumption, I think. I wouldn’t comment on other professions without having a first-hand experience in them.

Regarding your question, the other posters in this thread have already made good points. I don't have anything new to add.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't Sep 21, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

....... I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support .....

I absolutely do not miss the office politics. Before I became a translator full time, I worked in a high-pressure milieu where everybody, including me, was climbing over everybody else in pursuit of success and fame. Many of us were scarred for life by the process. So there's nothing about my former life that I miss. Thanks for reminding me!

[Edited at 2022-09-21 12:00 GMT]

Metin Demirel
Evgeny Sidorenko
Susanna Martoni
Jorge Payan
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Kaspars Melkis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hmm Sep 21, 2022

It’s far from unique, but I like it.

Susanna Martoni
P.L.F. Persio
Anis Amalia
Kaspars Melkis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unique Sep 23, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

It’s far from unique, but I like it.

Translators are readers, interpreters and writers/creators all in one. This makes us unique and valuable, and it's a shame that some people don't know how to recognise our profession.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Silence! Sep 30, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

....... I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support .....

I absolutely do not miss the office politics. Before I became a translator full time, I worked in a high-pressure milieu where everybody, including me, was climbing over everybody else in pursuit of success and fame. Many of us were scarred for life by the process. So there's nothing about my former life that I miss. Thanks for reminding me!

Similar story here. Before I became a translator full time, I worked in IT, which used to be great when geeks and engineers still had more power than clueless managers. But then things began to change…

As for the chats, the teams, the human interactions… I do not miss them, and certainly not the forced interactions in open-plan offices. How people can produce intellectual work among dozens of loud-speaking colleagues is beyond my understanding!

“Et si la liberté consistait à posséder le temps? Et si le bonheur revenait à disposer de solitude, d’espace et de silence – toutes choses dont manqueront les générations futures? Tant qu’il y aura des cabanes au fond des bois, rien ne sera tout à fait perdu.”
« What if freedom consisted in owning time? What if happiness boiled down to having solitude, space and silence - all of which future generations will be lacking? As long as there are cabins deep in the woods, nothing will be completely lost. »
Sylvain Tesson

Philippe

[Edited at 2022-09-30 19:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-09-30 19:51 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Susanna Martoni
Mariamne Nunez
Lieven Malaise
Nadja Balogh

Jocelyn Laney
Jocelyn Laney  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:52
Japanese to English
Variety Oct 1, 2022

Freelance work allows me to gain experience in a wide range of industries. If I committed to one company, I would be working with the similar topics and content every day. If I worked at city hall doing something related to local tourism promotion, I would be tired of visiting and writing about the same spots because history doesn't change.

The most important thing about freelance work for me is that I can decline work when I have family events. Now that my kids are a little older,
... See more
Freelance work allows me to gain experience in a wide range of industries. If I committed to one company, I would be working with the similar topics and content every day. If I worked at city hall doing something related to local tourism promotion, I would be tired of visiting and writing about the same spots because history doesn't change.

The most important thing about freelance work for me is that I can decline work when I have family events. Now that my kids are a little older, I can also accept short-term large projects like interpretation jobs. This year I quit my part-time teaching job so I would have the flexibility to take on these bigger jobs, and I have already had some great experiences.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's only one thing I miss Oct 3, 2022

Paid holidays! My first paid job was 49 years ago, when I worked one Christmas as a babe in panto and nearly half a century later I still don't know what it's like to wake up one morning, knowing that I don't have to go to work for the next few days or weeks, and that someone's going to pay me!

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:52
Chinese
Work for a call centre Oct 4, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Maybe working in a call centre will take care of all these problems: you will have camaraderie, lunchtime chats, teamwork, and you are surrounded by a roomful of helpdesk supports, without the pernicious pressure from the need to climb over anybody because there is nowhere to climb to.

Christopher Schröder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Unique Value of Being a Freelance Translator

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »