expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:41
French to English
. Sep 9, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

So let her sign up and do her own work- if that really is what HE THINKS her work is.

I agree entirely! I never bother with people asking for someone else (unless the someone else is a minor, but that wouldn't even be appropriate here). I'm not saying it's the case here but they do often have an axe to grind.

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha that reminds me Sep 9, 2021

Kay Denney wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

So let her sign up and do her own work- if that really is what HE THINKS her work is.

I agree entirely! I never bother with people asking for someone else (unless the someone else is a minor, but that wouldn't even be appropriate here). I'm not saying it's the case here but they do often have an axe to grind.

OFF TOPIC

That reminds me: I once taught at an American school of architecture where the Dean, W.S. was of German Jewish origin. Even though he had lived in the US for most of his life, his English was not good. He still had a heavy German accent and tended to mix his metaphors.

One day there was a discussion among various people about the attitude of a particular tutor who always seemed to reiterate the same things, at student reviewing sessions.

W.S. said "that is just because he has a cross to grind".

[Edited at 2021-09-09 15:57 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Mike Forge
Mike Forge
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Kind regards Sep 15, 2021

Thanks for your advice everyone it’s really helpful! I really appreciate it. Again thanks again to be part of this community.

Mike Forge
Mike Forge
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Please be courteous Sep 15, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

The only possible explanation is that she is not a Proz member and can't access these forums.

Her husband isn't even a wannabe translator – his profile is new and completely empty – yet here he is. Signing up on here does not require herculean efforts, or a particularly "masculine" mindset.

————-

Actually I have a severe disability consequently making me electric wheelchair bound and unable to walk. I am trying to do the best for my wife as she helps me in so many dedicated ways.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen
IrinaN

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sorry... Sep 15, 2021

Mike Forge wrote:

Actually I have a severe disability consequently making me electric wheelchair bound and unable to walk. I am trying to do the best for my wife as she helps me in so many dedicated ways.

people sometimes are very quick to judge...

Mike Forge
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
My heartfelt apologies, Mike Sep 15, 2021

Mike Forge wrote:

I'm sorry, Mike. You and your wife make a good team, good luck with her new career as a translator!

expressisverbis
Kay Denney
IrinaN

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Sep 15, 2021

Mike Forge wrote:

Thank you for explaining your situation! I was imagining that you were thinking she wasn't putting enough effort into it and resented her for not earning enough money for you to be able to afford some expensive hobby, or something weird like that.
In my volunteer work, I support young mothers and it's often a bit dodgy when their husbands chime in. Once I had a husband wanting me to send documents to his wife to explain why she ought to breastfeed their child - I told him in no uncertain terms that it was her body and her choice!!!

P.L.F. Persio

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Lol Sep 15, 2021

Hubby was right though.

Do you say "her body her choice" if anyone asks if a pregnant lady ought to eat well and take prenatal vitamins? Of course not... Well this is the post-delivery version of exactly the same thing. Feed baby right whenever possible!

Bottle/formula babies suffer from a variety of fun GI disturbances for life.

All that fun new-ish stuff like IBS, UC, Crohn's, Gluten Free (not by choice), etc.? FATE OF FORMER BOTTLE BABIES. Not DDT, not t
... See more
Hubby was right though.

Do you say "her body her choice" if anyone asks if a pregnant lady ought to eat well and take prenatal vitamins? Of course not... Well this is the post-delivery version of exactly the same thing. Feed baby right whenever possible!

Bottle/formula babies suffer from a variety of fun GI disturbances for life.

All that fun new-ish stuff like IBS, UC, Crohn's, Gluten Free (not by choice), etc.? FATE OF FORMER BOTTLE BABIES. Not DDT, not the vaccines, not agent orange, not wifi/cell towers/#G, not billionaire geeks chipping you, not reptilian overlords.. just mom choosing to use formula. Avoid whenever possible!

It can cause an immense amount of pain and suffering for a lifetime. And until the kid's parents or doctors figure it out and adjust nutrition to an acceptable diet, it's downright disabling.

Kay Denney wrote:

Mike Forge wrote:

In my volunteer work, I support young mothers and it's often a bit dodgy when their husbands chime in. Once I had a husband wanting me to send documents to his wife to explain why she ought to breastfeed their child - I told him in no uncertain terms that it was her body and her choice!!!

PS ...oh well, on the one hand, digestion after eating carelessly DOES occasionally hurt something fierce, but then again, without such folly, about a third of my income wouldn't exist. Thanks for feeding us big pharma people! Our paychecks depend on bad public health!

[Edited at 2021-09-15 21:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-15 21:15 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice required on breaking into the translation industry

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »