Thread poster: Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:34
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Sep 14, 2022

I'm admittedly new to using MemoQ's QA but when I run it, the report keeps telling me that the target is missing terms from my glossary even when those terms are literally the entire content of both source and target segments and are completely accurate. Is there some setting I might have messed up?

memoq

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 04:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Identical Characters? Oct 5, 2022

Hi Geof,

Could that be due to some discrepancy in symbols? Perhaps, whitespace / non-breaking space, or different dashes used? You may compare your translation and the translation of term on any suitable website. Do they differ?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:34
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Same thing happened to me earlier today Oct 5, 2022

I had the same problem today with memoQ 9.12.9. It was with a term that should not be translated, so both source and target segment had the same word. But memoQ's QA insisted that the word was not present in the target.

I think you'd better contact memoQ's support or just wait for a newer build.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Expected behavior Oct 5, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
It was with a term that should not be translated, so both source and target segment had the same word. But memoQ's QA insisted that the word was not present in the target.
Obviously memoQ is right in its logic. How could it know that a term should not be translated unless you add the source term as translation? Did you add a pair of terms in the same language? If not, then everything is fine. It is missing translation but not a bug. (E.g., when you translate from English to Greek, you have to add untranslatable as source in English and untranslatable again as translation in Greek. In this case memoQ will not flag the English word untranslatable in your Greek translation.)

I had the same problem today with memoQ 9.12.9.
The subject matter case is not the same because there are different source and target words (何為斌 vs Ho, Wei-Pin).

[Edited at 2022-10-05 21:50 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I know what I am doing Oct 6, 2022

Stepan, I am not even sure what you are writing and why you are so quick to attack people without even having understood what they have described.

I have added a term entry with the same word as the source and target term. That's what I do instead of using untranslatables. This is what I have been doing for at least a decade, ever since Istvan Lengyel, one of Kilgray's founders, suggested I prefer the term base even for terms that should not be translated.

mk_lab

Geof Aberhart
Taiwan
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
? Oct 6, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:The subject matter case is not the same because there are different source and target words (何為斌 vs Ho, Wei-Pin).

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Of course they're different. If the source and target being different was the problem, it would flag literally the entire glossary.

mk_lab

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Different scenarios Oct 6, 2022

Geof Aberhart wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand.
You source term is 何為斌 (Traditional Chinese). Right? Right. Your target term is Ho, Wei-Pin (English). Right? Right. 何為斌 and Ho, Wei-Pin are different. Right? Right.
Epameinondas Soufleros uses identical words for both his source and target languages (I have added a term entry with the same word as the source and target term). Right? Right.
Can we say that these two scenarios are the same? Definitely no.

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
That's what I do instead of using untranslatables.
What is 'using untranslatables'? I am not aware of that concept too. I just used this word as an example of 'a term entry with the same word as the source and target term'. I am sorry if I misunderstood you but you actually didn't describe anything but just said you had the same problem. It was your comment 2 where you mentioned that you added a word as a glossary term. Your comment 1 reads 'both source and target segment had the same word' (it doesn't mean you have added it as a term).

Geof Aberhart
Taiwan
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ah Oct 6, 2022

OK, my bad, I thought that was a response to me. But it would be appreciated if you would moderate your tone a bit.

mk_lab

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you Oct 6, 2022

Geof Aberhart wrote:
it would be appreciated if you would moderate your tone a bit.
Ok, thank you for flagging this issue.

I suggest that you copy the text from your target segment (Ho, Wei-Pin), then open the term view/edit window, paste what you just copied into the target field there, and click 'replace' (the second button, next to the plus button). Then try to run QA again.

[Edited at 2022-10-06 18:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA report flagging missing terms that aren't missing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »