Is OPUS worthwhile?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jan 16, 2023

OPUS seems to be hot at the moment. And there are connectors for mQ an Trados.

What are your experiences with OPUS?

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:34
Member (2006)
French to English
Good results, integrates with my tech stack Jan 16, 2023

Hi Hans,

I found it relatively easy to deploy after watching Jamie’s session “Your Own Neural MT: Opus-CAT and Wordfast” available here: https://www.wordfast.com/conference/2022/session_recordings

I installed Opus on my server, then connected it to Wordfast Server so my team can access it via their instance of Wordfast Pro, Anywhere, or Classic.<
... See more
Hi Hans,

I found it relatively easy to deploy after watching Jamie’s session “Your Own Neural MT: Opus-CAT and Wordfast” available here: https://www.wordfast.com/conference/2022/session_recordings

I installed Opus on my server, then connected it to Wordfast Server so my team can access it via their instance of Wordfast Pro, Anywhere, or Classic.

My next project is to train the models using my own datasets.

The quality is comparable to other MT engines (Google, DeepL, MS, etc.).

Best,

John
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Milan Condak
Stepan Konev
Philippe Locquet

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Connector for OmegaT Jan 16, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

OPUS seems to be hot at the moment. And there are connectors for mQ an Trados.

In the Czech language we have a saying: there is nothing older than yesterday's newspaper; yet every year the newspapers say that spring is coming, summer, autumn and winter.

Free local translator for Windows: the Opus-CAT, Jul 18, 2021

https://www.proz.com/forum/czech/352042-bezplatný_lokální_překladač_pro_windows_opus_cat.html

Bezplatný lokální překladač pro Windows: Opus-CAT

Is it worth using a free tool? Is it worth using a tool that doesn't send data away? Is it worth using a machine translator that translates between two languages without using English as a pivot language? Is it worth it to use a tool that you can refine with your data?

I can use Opus-CAT-MT in parallel with other web translators in OmegaT. Sometimes the machine translations are identical, sometimes they differ. MT in OmegaT M-translate a segment-by-segment. In Basic-CAT is available to pre-translate a whole document.

Milan

esperantisto

Milan Condak
English to Czech
Online Translator to Interlingua Jan 16, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

My customer created two web translators for translating to Interlingua in 2022 using Opus CAT-MT and other language models.

Online English -> Interlingua Translator

http://90.179.36.9/dashboard/docs/pokus5.html

Online Czech -> Interlingua Translator

http://90.179.36.9/dashboard/docs/pokus6.html

Powered by OPUS-CAT MT Engine:
https://blogs.helsinki.fi/fiskmo-project/

Milan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 16, 2023

Thank you, Milan

Milan Condak

Milan Condak
English to Czech
You're welcome Jan 16, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Thank you, Milan

Hans, you're welcome.

Milan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:34
English to Russian
OPUS CAT MT Engine Jan 17, 2023

I always used OPUS when I had a single major client with a specific domain. They had a huge TM I could use to train the offline OPUS engine and it worked just perfect for me. Now I rather have random clients with different domains, and using small TMs to fine-tune another model for every new client is not practical for me. However I'd like to say thank you to Tommi Nieminen for that un... See more
I always used OPUS when I had a single major client with a specific domain. They had a huge TM I could use to train the offline OPUS engine and it worked just perfect for me. Now I rather have random clients with different domains, and using small TMs to fine-tune another model for every new client is not practical for me. However I'd like to say thank you to Tommi Nieminen for that unevaluable gift to us translators. Weirdly, there is not a single hint at his great work in his proz bio but I appreciate it very much.

[Edited at 2023-01-17 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Platary (X)
Cecilia Yalangozian
Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
a question for Stepan/Milan Jun 28, 2023

How do I know which model is being used in memoQ?

I've got it all working and am seeing the MT output in the Translation results pane in memoQ.

I installed 4 models. How do I know which one is actually being used?

###

I think i figured it out already: "Set as override model"

Set as override model

[Edited at 2023-06-28 10:23 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
related thread: Jun 28, 2023

https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/362770-how_to_use_opus_plugin_in_memoq_mt_help_urgently_needed.html

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
In my case, it's just a typing aid Jun 28, 2023

And so was Google some time back. This thing has a problem with capitalized and first-letter capitalized words, so I can be sure that every sentence will begin with a completely random word (sometimes even one that doesn't exist). Also, it messes up alphanumeric codes and often makes changes to words that are written in a language other than the selected source language (as wise people say, you never know with neural networks). However, I'm still happy with it as a free tool: I've never been loo... See more
And so was Google some time back. This thing has a problem with capitalized and first-letter capitalized words, so I can be sure that every sentence will begin with a completely random word (sometimes even one that doesn't exist). Also, it messes up alphanumeric codes and often makes changes to words that are written in a language other than the selected source language (as wise people say, you never know with neural networks). However, I'm still happy with it as a free tool: I've never been looking for an MT tool that I could trust with anything but the basics. Opus CAT has a finetune option, but somehow it doesn't work with my TMs (maybe because they are all bigger than 50k segments, which, their website says, is the upper limit on training databases)

[Edited at 2023-06-28 13:25 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Didn't know Jun 28, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:
a question for Stepan/Milan
How do I know which model is being used in memoQ?
I didn't know that (even though I asked that question to myself too) before you answered. Seems right, thank you.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Any tool is just an aid Jun 28, 2023

The 50K TUs limit is only applicable for Trados plugin, that is when you want to finetune directly from Trados. OPUS CAT MT Engine itself can fine-tune as many as 281149 segments (I fine-tuned it recently).

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry for the question, but ...... Jun 28, 2023

......what is OPUS, and why should I want to have it?

[Edited at 2023-06-28 21:52 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
OPUS CAT MT engine is a free Jun 28, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
what is OPUS
offline machine translation engine that helps those who know how to use it. As any other MT engine it helps you type letters and words faster. Unlike other NMT engines, it combines three properties simultaneously: you can train it using your own translations, you don't have to pay for it, you don't have to expose your sacred data because it is offline.

[Edited at 2023-06-28 23:45 GMT]

Milan Condak

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Stepan Jun 29, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
what is OPUS
offline machine translation engine that helps those who know how to use it. As any other MT engine it helps you type letters and words faster. Unlike other NMT engines, it combines three properties simultaneously: you can train it using your own translations, you don't have to pay for it, you don't have to expose your sacred data because it is offline.

[Edited at 2023-06-28 23:45 GMT]

Thank you for the info. I downloaded the program, and will have a look at it as soon I find some time.

[Edited at 2023-06-29 11:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is OPUS worthwhile?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »