Off topic: If you have trouble accessing to ALC, please try this!
Thread poster: RieM
RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2007

Hello!

If you still have trouble getting to the ALC (eijiro) site (and probably you are in the US, Canada, Europe, etc), here is something you can try. Just in 5 minutes, you should be able to go there again. --- very easy.

Shut down your computer, UNPLUG (power cord) off it, router/cablemodem/DSL modem completely, and wait for 5 minutes. Then plug everything back in and turn on the computer. That's it.

What you are doing is resetting/renewing your mac
... See more
Hello!

If you still have trouble getting to the ALC (eijiro) site (and probably you are in the US, Canada, Europe, etc), here is something you can try. Just in 5 minutes, you should be able to go there again. --- very easy.

Shut down your computer, UNPLUG (power cord) off it, router/cablemodem/DSL modem completely, and wait for 5 minutes. Then plug everything back in and turn on the computer. That's it.

What you are doing is resetting/renewing your machine's IP address. There are other ways to do the same, if you are familiar with some network commands, but this is the simplest and surest way! (You might be able to accomplish it without unplugging, but, this is not recommended). Make sure you wait for a few minutes. So far I asked two of my friends to be my "guinea pigs" and they successfully got to the ALC.

I believe that the problem is related to the Daylight time saving (summertime) that has just started in the US, and I guess that some ISPs' servers/hubs might be out of sync.

Hope this will solve your access problem!

Good luck
Rie

[Edited at 2007-03-14 03:05]
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Japanese to English
Interesting theory Mar 15, 2007

Nice detective work, Rie!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you have trouble accessing to ALC, please try this!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »