Thread poster: Nathan Takase
Nathan Takase
Nathan Takase  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:02
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2012

Hello all,

I have received a job offer from a translation company through Proz.com that is quite suspicious. The content of the email is as follows:

Here we have a real job to be released today, looking for English to Japanese translators.If you are interested in this job please try your best to translate this small paragraph as follows:
Topic: Legal translati... See more
Hello all,

I have received a job offer from a translation company through Proz.com that is quite suspicious. The content of the email is as follows:

Here we have a real job to be released today, looking for English to Japanese translators.If you are interested in this job please try your best to translate this small paragraph as follows:
Topic: Legal translation
This Agreement will continue from the date first written above until it expires – unless earlier terminated. Either Party may terminate this Agreement upon thirty (30) days prior written notice to the other Party. The non-disclosure obligations set forth in numbered paragraphs 2 and 3 above will survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement.
Topic : Mechanical translation
Step 1: When the brakes bind, slacken the nuts holding the master cylinder to the servo by two or three threads. Press and release the brake pedal. If the problem persists, proceed to step 2.
If this works, there is a problem with the servo or the mechanical links to the pedal. Check that an incorrectly adjusted brake light switch is not holding down the pedal. If the pedal has a link rod to the servo, check it is well lubricated and moves freely. If the problem is not caused by the brake light switch or by the link rod sticking, the link rod or servo push rod could have been incorrectly adjusted. Otherwise you have a faulty servo.
When reply, please
1)attach your CV
2)quote your best rate in USD/English word.
3)your experienced field of translation, such as commerial, mechanical, quality manual, legal, etc.
4) your average translation speed per day If your translation is accepted,we will have a lot of translation files and the payment is rich.
Looking forward to cooperating with you .

The profile of the company was registered this month and contains no information about such company. The email came from a very generic Hotmail address displaying an individual's name in all lowercase with no space between the first and last name. As you can see, there is no information about the company or person within the email. It is also strange that even though there is a "real job" the two trial paragraphs are unrelated to each other, and thus likely unrelated to the "real job."

I have replied asking for more information about the company, but my guess is that a number of you also received a similar email, perhaps with different trial paragraph content. If this is true, please let us know so that no one falls prey to another scam.

I will update this thread once/if I receive a reply.
Collapse

balius (X)
balius (X)  Identity Verified
English to Japanese
+ ...
I got an exactly same e-mail, too. Sep 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing the information , Nathan.

Kara ph.D.
Kara ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:02
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Same here Sep 17, 2012

I've also got exactly the same e-mail yesterday, but just ignored it because it looked phishy to me.
By the way, the sender's IP address points to Shanghai China.

Nathan Takase
Nathan Takase  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same mail, different person... Sep 18, 2012

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses.

Today I received the exact same email from a different name - this time a Hotmail address. Needless to say, I never received a response to the email I sent to the previous "company." I think it's safe to say that this is not a legitimate job offer and should be ignored.

I will report both accounts to the Proz.com staff.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Scam Targeting E>J Translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »