cv advice for would-be translator with no experience
Thread poster: Suzie Withers
Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
volunteer work on cv Jul 14, 2006

I have another question concerning cv's.

I'm thinking of establishing myself as a part-time freelance translator, in the English to Dutch (my mothertongue) pair. My major disadvantage is that I don't hold a degree in tranlation. I do have a master's degree though, have partly studied in English and use English a lot, both professionally as with friends abroad. Also, I have done some editing of texts in Dutch.

To gain some experience in translating, I've volunteered as
... See more
I have another question concerning cv's.

I'm thinking of establishing myself as a part-time freelance translator, in the English to Dutch (my mothertongue) pair. My major disadvantage is that I don't hold a degree in tranlation. I do have a master's degree though, have partly studied in English and use English a lot, both professionally as with friends abroad. Also, I have done some editing of texts in Dutch.

To gain some experience in translating, I've volunteered as a translator in my language pair at a couple of NGO's. They've added me to their database.

My question is if I can already mention this volunteer work on my cv. I'm in doubt, since I'm registered as a volunteer translator, but haven't actually done any work for them yet.
Collapse

CristobalR
CristobalR
English to Spanish
My experience with volunteer work... Jul 17, 2006

... has not been how I expected to be.

I have been working with two NGOs translating some material. It has helped me a lot to get some personal experience, but I 'm afraid that I can't write down this experience on my CV.

Since it is volunteer work, I think they don't take it very seriously. They only upload some of my translations (what about the rest!?). I know it is bad luck, but it has happened to me with the two NGOs!. I have translated three newsletters about 5,00
... See more
... has not been how I expected to be.

I have been working with two NGOs translating some material. It has helped me a lot to get some personal experience, but I 'm afraid that I can't write down this experience on my CV.

Since it is volunteer work, I think they don't take it very seriously. They only upload some of my translations (what about the rest!?). I know it is bad luck, but it has happened to me with the two NGOs!. I have translated three newsletters about 5,000 words each, and nothing... It's frustrating! I know it is not for quality reasons (I am too perfectionist to deliver something bad) since they upload poorly translated material.

In some cases, I think we should attach in every translation an invoice, letting them know the real cost of our work and specifying that we don't charge them because it's all voluntary.

With this said, I only recommend you should inform yourselves about how seriously they are going to take your work.

Regards,
Sergio
Collapse

elisa romero
elisa romero
Local time: 01:16
English to Spanish
DipTrans Jul 25, 2006

Suzie Withers wrote:

Thanks Olaf.

I have received conflicting advice on this. Some people are advising me to start trying to get work before completing the Diploma. I am keen to get started, so I do intend to try and get some work in before I complete the Diploma, if I can.

Hi Suzie

I am also preparing myself to take the DipTrans Exam in January English into Spanish and as you I am keen to get started to gain experience as I have none. Me too I am passionate about languages and look for a change of career. I have contacted a few NGO's to do volunteer work but I am still waiting. I think it's quite difficult to get yourself into the Translation Business if you dont have experience, in the other hand you have to start somewhere.

Claire Hone
Claire Hone
Australia
Local time: 10:16
French to English
Getting started Aug 9, 2006

I have read your postings with great interest as I have just joined Proz and am starting out as a translator.

I took a Bilingual Secretarial Course back in the 80's and completed a six month stage in Paris to gain my Diploma. Part of the course was to take the Institute of Linguists intermediate exam which allowed you to become an Associate.

My career path in London took me away from using my language skills regularly and it is only now that I am living in Australia
... See more
I have read your postings with great interest as I have just joined Proz and am starting out as a translator.

I took a Bilingual Secretarial Course back in the 80's and completed a six month stage in Paris to gain my Diploma. Part of the course was to take the Institute of Linguists intermediate exam which allowed you to become an Associate.

My career path in London took me away from using my language skills regularly and it is only now that I am living in Australia that I realise how much I miss French and my contact with the language and country.

I was recently asked by a former London employer to do some translation work for him and here I am.

I have just completed a NAATI preparatory course with the University of New South Wales and aim to take the exam later this year. I have applied to rejoin the Institute of Linguists and am an Associate Affiliate of AUSIT.

Any hints or suggestions would be welcome. I was wondering whether with my Diploma in Bilingual Secretarial Studies and a pass in the intermediate IoL exam, am I certified, or do I have to wait until I have taken (and hopefully passed) the NAATI examination?
Collapse

Jane Griffiths (X)
Jane Griffiths (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
Italian to English
Join your local translator's group Oct 3, 2006

Hi Suzanne,

If you live anywhere near me (I'm in Bristol, UK) you can join the ITI Western Regional Group (yes, we're the people who organised the CV clinic) without joining ITI nationally. I think you'll find that many local translation/interpreting groups have similar policies - and pleasantly low subscriptions, too.

As it says at http://www.itiwrg.org.uk/join.php "Membership
... See more
Hi Suzanne,

If you live anywhere near me (I'm in Bristol, UK) you can join the ITI Western Regional Group (yes, we're the people who organised the CV clinic) without joining ITI nationally. I think you'll find that many local translation/interpreting groups have similar policies - and pleasantly low subscriptions, too.

As it says at http://www.itiwrg.org.uk/join.php "Membership is open to members of the ITI and to anyone interested or involved in translation and interpreting. "

If you go to the "Regional groups" tab at www.iti.org.uk you can find your local regional group - they'll tell you their membership policies. I remember going to a Western Regional Group meeting some years ago, before I'd left my previous job. They were very welcoming and at that stage it was really useful to meet some people who actually made their living from translation and have a chance to chat with them and ask a few questions.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cv advice for would-be translator with no experience

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »