T/I education in hungary?
Thread poster: palacsinta (X)
palacsinta (X)
palacsinta (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Hi everyone,

I would love to live and work in Hungary and eventually become a translator hungarian-english/dutch.
What I would like to know is the following:
1. Is this a realistic career choice? Is it likely that I can find training and, eventually, a job in this field?
2. Where in Hungary would I find a good translator/interpretor training that is also suitable for foreigners?

My current situation is that I am 27 years old and I have no papers in the
... See more
Hi everyone,

I would love to live and work in Hungary and eventually become a translator hungarian-english/dutch.
1. Is this a realistic career choice? Is it likely that I can find training and, eventually, a job in this field?
2. Where in Hungary would I find a good translator/interpretor training that is also suitable for foreigners?

My current situation is that I am 27 years old and I have no papers in the linguistic field whatsoever. However I am good with languages and I am highly motivated to
learn.

I've fallen in love with the Hungarian language, so I would love to find a job as an interpretor or translator eventually. In the meantime I am hoping to qualify as an english teacher if i obtain a CELTA certificate. Other than that I have no idea if it's possible to find a job if you're not fluent in Hungarian yet. I speak 3 languages though: Dutch, English and German. I'm learning Hungarian in my spare time at the moment.

If you have any advice, please let me know. I have recently made the decision to switch careers and I need all the information I can get if I want to make this work out...

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Learn the language first... Jul 1, 2006

...which would involve some time living in Hungary.
When you are there, you would have opportunity to inquire about suitable courses.

I don't live there anymore, so I can't give you informed advice about T/I education. In any case, by the time you are ready to translate or interpret, these might change.

Just to cheer you up, when people ask the usual question: Is Hungarian really very difficult? - I usually explain to them, that if you compare it with English and
... See more
...which would involve some time living in Hungary.
When you are there, you would have opportunity to inquire about suitable courses.

I don't live there anymore, so I can't give you informed advice about T/I education. In any case, by the time you are ready to translate or interpret, these might change.

Just to cheer you up, when people ask the usual question: Is Hungarian really very difficult? - I usually explain to them, that if you compare it with English and you draw the line of difficulty on a graph, Hungarian starts as a very steep climb, reaches a certain level, and then gradually eases up and flattens out, because once you mastered the grammar, it becomes easier and easier.

English is a comfortable ride at the beginning, and you can make yourself understood in a relatively short time, and you think, hooray, that's easy. Then when you understand a fair bit, it hits you, and you realise, ho much more there is to learn. That's when the steeper climb begins.
Good luck, and best wishes
Judith

[Edited at 2006-07-01 22:33]
Collapse

vrnk
vrnk
English to Hungarian
difficult Jul 29, 2006

Hy palacsinta!

I'm a hungarian girl. Sorry for writing that but I think (!) that it's not easy finding job in that way. Here is a lot lot language center and here is a lot lot teacher. Maybe dutch can be interesting but I didn't find any language center where they teach dutch (because it's not too sought.

Of course you can try it. Have luck.

veronika

palacsinta wrote:

Hi everyone,

[Edited at 2006-07-29 04:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T/I education in hungary?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »