Thread poster: ace-translation
ace-translation
ace-translation  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:44
English to French
+ ...
Feb 2, 2005

Dear colleagues,
I would like to buy Trados and follow the two days training session (getting started) but as you may probably know it is pretty expensive... I decided to do so because almost every job of my language pairs requires the use of trados, tag editor... Of course if it wasn't that expensive I would not hesitate and register !
Has anyone experienced the same problem ?
Do you think working in trados will help me getting more jobs ?

Thank you very much in
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I would like to buy Trados and follow the two days training session (getting started) but as you may probably know it is pretty expensive... I decided to do so because almost every job of my language pairs requires the use of trados, tag editor... Of course if it wasn't that expensive I would not hesitate and register !

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Kind regards, Fabrizio
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is this really that expensive? Feb 2, 2005

How much does it cost? 1000 Euros? More or less this amount.
How long will you stay in business? One month - OK, than it is pretty expensive.
But a car - which any or almost any of us has - does cost much more. Aparently we do not have any problem with that...

If you consider, that you will use this program (or any other software) not only once or twice, you shall use another scala.
Lets asume you will use it two yaers. Then the cost goes down to less than 50 Euro
... See more
How much does it cost? 1000 Euros? More or less this amount.
How long will you stay in business? One month - OK, than it is pretty expensive.
But a car - which any or almost any of us has - does cost much more. Aparently we do not have any problem with that...

If you consider, that you will use this program (or any other software) not only once or twice, you shall use another scala.
Lets asume you will use it two yaers. Then the cost goes down to less than 50 Euro per month. Is this really much? And if you consider, that you can earn more money due to using this, then it will be even less.

So neither Trados nor any other CAT is really expensive (or cheap). This depends on the point of view. Same as a car - one buys a KIA, the other one Rolls Royce...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Did using Trados result in more jobs - No idea Feb 2, 2005

I use Trados for nearly all my translations. Did I get more jobs because of Trados. I do not know.

Trados did help me:

to improve througput
to improve consistency

I value both improvements as being big enough to justify my decision to buy Trados. You have to find out if Trados will do the same trick for you. Download the free demo and have a look. It might or might not be the right tool for you.
It was and still is the perfect tool for me.
... See more
I use Trados for nearly all my translations. Did I get more jobs because of Trados. I do not know.

Trados did help me:

to improve througput
to improve consistency

I value both improvements as being big enough to justify my decision to buy Trados. You have to find out if Trados will do the same trick for you. Download the free demo and have a look. It might or might not be the right tool for you.
It was and still is the perfect tool for me.

Cheers
Siggi
Collapse

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:44
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
probably more jobs Feb 2, 2005

ace-translation wrote:

I myself do not have Trados but there appear more and more jobs which require Trados.

Ellemiek Drucker
Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
English to Dutch
+ ...
It sure helped Feb 2, 2005

I bought Trados about 2 years ago now and haven't looked back. I also took the Trados course in Brussel and it was great. I am sure you could figure out how to use the programme yourself, but they do provide a lot of tips and they walk you through it all.

Best regards and good luck
Ellemiek

John Simpson
John Simpson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Try Déjà Vu Feb 2, 2005

You can download Déjà Vu (DVX) from the Atril site and use it for a month. There is a very simple manual which introduces the main parts to the TM tool. DVX is very easy to use and does not require any training sessions. I would try DVX first and then pay out for the Trados sessions at a later date if you really do need Trados. As far as I know both programs are compatible.

John

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Try SDLX Feb 2, 2005

You can download the full version and try it for a month.

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx.htm

I have a licence for Trados 6.5 and never use it. I can generate ttx files (TagEditor) directly in SDLX when the translation is done.

In my opinion, it's far more pleasant to use than Trados. I have tried Déjà Vu but could no
... See more
You can download the full version and try it for a month.

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx.htm

I have a licence for Trados 6.5 and never use it. I can generate ttx files (TagEditor) directly in SDLX when the translation is done.

In my opinion, it's far more pleasant to use than Trados. I have tried Déjà Vu but could not type non breakable spaces in it (Trados, SDLX and other CAT tools don't have any problems with nbsp).

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:44
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
You should try WordFast Feb 2, 2005

It is far more cost-effective that TRADOS and other *expensiver* CAT tools.

Just go to www.wordfast.net and download a fully working version with no time limitations.

¿Support? Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/; currently it has even more members than the TRADOS group.
<
... See more
It is far more cost-effective that TRADOS and other *expensiver* CAT tools.

Just go to www.wordfast.net and download a fully working version with no time limitations.

¿Support? Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/; currently it has even more members than the TRADOS group.

Cheers!
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Trados or not Trados Feb 3, 2005

ace-translation wrote:

Of course if it wasn't that expensive I would not hesitate and register!

I agree with Jerzy that Trados is not expensive for such a professional tool. But if the price is an issue, why not try OmegaT? Cost $0, no training course available (yet, but there's a very helpful online user group), download from www.omegat.org.

Marc

Charles Lucas
Charles Lucas  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Buy Trados for the name, WordFast for value Feb 3, 2005

I was a Trados user when my employer was paying for it. Now I'm freelance and am very happy using WordFast in terms of its functions and performance.
It's supposed to be Trados compatible, but many outsourcers disregard that, citing technical compatibility problems, and insist on having the real (expensive) thing.
I'm pretty sure I would get more work if I had Trados and of course the cost would be spread over some years.
The drawback for me would be having to buy a Windows PC
... See more
I was a Trados user when my employer was paying for it. Now I'm freelance and am very happy using WordFast in terms of its functions and performance.
It's supposed to be Trados compatible, but many outsourcers disregard that, citing technical compatibility problems, and insist on having the real (expensive) thing.
I'm pretty sure I would get more work if I had Trados and of course the cost would be spread over some years.
The drawback for me would be having to buy a Windows PC to run it on. Wordast works fine on my beloved Mac.
Anybody tried running Trados on a Mac under PC emulation?
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Déjà Vu & nbsp Feb 3, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:
I have tried Déjà Vu but could not type non breakable spaces in it.

Just for the record and to save colleagues from remembering incorrect information: there is no problem whatsoever to enter a non-breaking space in DVX.

And while I'm here: Sorry I can't suggest yet another CAT. In general, your being able to deliver a translation memory in Trados' (TMX) format will increase your odds to work with translation agencies. It won't get you more direct clients, however.

[Edited at 2005-02-03 12:12]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CAT or not CAT Feb 3, 2005

A professional translator, especially with your specialization (EU, technical manuals), definitely needs a CAT tool. It will pay off quickly. And if you wait for the right time, you can get it cheaper (vendor promotions, group buy at Proz).

CAT tools have many advantages and you will be able to take jobs that require using them. But I won't recommend a specific CAT tool. I use Trados and SDLX, each for a different kind of jobs.

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Time is also expensive Feb 3, 2005

Hi Fabrizio,

I learned Workbench myself during my studies in university. Sometimes I spent days on solving some really stupid little problems.

Then, later on, I was asked to teach a course on Trados, and I felt that my self-acquired skills are not enough. I went to Trados own course on MultiTerm and WinAlign, it was expensive of course, though much cheaper than now, but I saved so much time, that I never regret that. What I do regret that I didn't take TagEditor.
... See more
Hi Fabrizio,

I learned Workbench myself during my studies in university. Sometimes I spent days on solving some really stupid little problems.

Then, later on, I was asked to teach a course on Trados, and I felt that my self-acquired skills are not enough. I went to Trados own course on MultiTerm and WinAlign, it was expensive of course, though much cheaper than now, but I saved so much time, that I never regret that. What I do regret that I didn't take TagEditor.

I think tax authorities will agree that you needed the course when you show how many job ads are requiring Trados.

Best regards
Natalia
Collapse

frmwa
frmwa
English to French
trados Feb 6, 2005

ace-translation wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Kind regards, Fabrizio

Je travaille quant à moi avec Wordfast qui marche très bien pour les fichiers Word. Pour les fichiers PPT, Excell, c'est un peu plus compliqué. J'ai cependant une ancienne version de trados. Si cela vous intéresse, envoyez-moi un e-mail à mon adresse perso.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or not Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »