ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
“把价格抬高一点吧...” May 6, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

我只能说,开发国际市场的同时,把价格抬高一点吧....

从原则上讲,你这话很对。但是,某些新朋友把报价压得很低,估计也实在是迫不得已。据美国某些翻译社的PM透露,他们把项目承包给中国大陆翻译社的价格也就只在 0.06 USD/word 上下。相对于把项目交给自由译者,他们觉得还是把项目包给翻译社可以更放心一些。这样一来,留给自由译者的价格余地就更小了。某些翻译社以及个别游手好闲的个体户整天在此进行“市场观察”,一有什么项目就马上用低价掠去,然后又以更低价格转手给国内的自由译者。因此,西欧北美的自由译者不要对在此投标抱多大希望,而应该自己与翻译社和用户直接联系,开出一片天地来。只要功夫到家,项目总还是会有的。尊重翻译的客户总还是有的。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:08
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
有道理 May 9, 2012

回想我一开始报价的时候,老实说真的是什么也不懂,因为完全不认识任何人能给予这方面的意见,我一开始也是报单价0.05 USD左右,在proz.com 的葡语forum询问其他前辈的时候还被人狠狠的骂了,大意就是别来和我们争口饭吃之类的。可我当时真的没啥经验,通常报价的问题,如你所说,除了竞争大之外,想来也可能是对于市场不熟悉的关系。

还有就是如你所说,行�
... See more
回想我一开始报价的时候,老实说真的是什么也不懂,因为完全不认识任何人能给予这方面的意见,我一开始也是报单价0.05 USD左右,在proz.com 的葡语forum询问其他前辈的时候还被人狠狠的骂了,大意就是别来和我们争口饭吃之类的。可我当时真的没啥经验,通常报价的问题,如你所说,除了竞争大之外,想来也可能是对于市场不熟悉的关系。

还有就是如你所说,行内黑心agency太多,压价太低,唉。

ysun wrote:

Rita Pang wrote:

从原则上讲,你这话很对。但是,某些新朋友把报价压得很低,估计也实在是迫不得已。据美国某些翻译社的PM透露,他们把项目承包给中国大陆翻译社的价格也就只在 0.06 USD/word 上下。相对于把项目交给自由译者,他们觉得还是把项目包给翻译社可以更放心一些。这样一来,留给自由译者的价格余地就更小了。某些翻译社以及个别游手好闲的个体户整天在此进行“市场观察”,一有什么项目就马上用低价掠去,然后又以更低价格转手给国内的自由译者。因此,西欧北美的自由译者不要对在此投标抱多大希望,而应该自己与翻译社和用户直接联系,开出一片天地来。只要功夫到家,项目总还是会有的。尊重翻译的客户总还是有的。
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:08
Chinese to English
感到共鸣 May 9, 2012

我最近报价的中标率特别低(一般都投10美分以上),因为我的收入来源以口译活为主,所以目前问题不大,但以后可能得考虑怎么应对这个问题。有可能放弃做翻译社,专门找自己的客户,不过这样宣传的工作得加大力度。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Supply & demand May 9, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

Rita,

It is your great strength to be able to speak Chinese, English and Portuguese, not to mention you can also speak the Cantonese dialect. However, do you think there is a high demand for English < > Portuguese translators in Canada and the United States? I doubt it. On the other hand, there are a lot of translators in Canada and the U.S. who translate from English into Portuguese and/or from Portuguese into English. This means competition in this language pair would be fierce.

In my opinion, you have a very competitive edge when it comes to translating from Chinese into English because, relatively speaking, there are fewer good Chinese > English translators than good English > Chinese translators. So, the demand for good Chinese > English translators is relatively higher.

In terms of Portuguese, you will also have a very competitive edge if you translate from Portuguese into Chinese, and vice versa.

[Edited at 2012-05-09 14:21 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
High demand for Portuguese speakers May 9, 2012

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1504&MainCatID=15&id=20110825000011
The high demand for Portuguese speakers can be explained along similar lines: China's trade with Portuguese-speaking countries has grown from US$6.05 billion to US$91.42 billion over the last eight years.

Community of Portuguese Language Countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Portuguese_Language_Countries

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Great advice May 10, 2012

ysun wrote:

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1504&MainCatID=15&id=20110825000011
The high demand for Portuguese speakers can be explained along similar lines: China's trade with Portuguese-speaking countries has grown from US$6.05 billion to US$91.42 billion over the last eight years.

Community of Portuguese Language Countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Portuguese_Language_Countries

As usual, great advice Thanks!

Yes, I am definitely looking into this. When I was working in Brazil I realize that this poses a very competitive edge.

You know what I was very sad about? I found out recently that ATA doesn't provide certification for Chinese into English translation certification. It's extremely saddening. Now I need to figure out how else to get myself certified and where said certification is valuable and well-regarded in North America.

As said, I got into the industry without much experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
葡语-中文 May 10, 2012

0.05 难怪会被误解哦,0.15 都没问题的。

Rita Pang wrote:

还有就是如你所说,行内黑心agency太多,压价太低,唉。

ysun wrote:

Rita Pang wrote:

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Portuguese - Chinese translator May 10, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

Yes, I am definitely looking into this. When I was working in Brazil I realize that this poses a very competitive edge.

In ATA’s directory, I found only one translator who provides translation from Portuguese into Chinese, but she lives in China. Will you be the next?

So far, no one has been listed as a Chinese to Portuguese translator.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Chinese to English certification exam May 10, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

You know what I was very sad about? I found out recently that ATA doesn't provide certification for Chinese into English translation certification. It's extremely saddening. Now I need to figure out how else to get myself certified and where said certification is valuable and well-regarded in North America.

It is said that ATA is working to establish the Chinese to English certification exam. http://atacld.blogspot.com/2011/07/administrative-updates-2011-summer.html

Please read the section under the title “The Chinese to English Certification Exam”. Just keep your eyes peeled!

Phil Hand
China
Chinese to English
IoL offers Chinese>English May 10, 2012

I'm going to try and prepare for it next year. Pass rate is low, though, and they do expect translators to actually be native speakers.

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
THanks! May 10, 2012

Thanks Phil! Good to know!

I am a native speaker of English. I think while my first language is Chinese I have gotten so much more comfortable with English and use it a lot more often than Chinese. It's one of those cases where I guess my external "features" don't quite put me on the map of native speakers, and yet when I start speaking Chinese (HK Cantonese in particular) despite the fluency people could tell that something is "off", lol. What is IOL, pray tell?

Phil Hand wrote:

I'm going to try and prepare for it next year. Pass rate is low, though, and they do expect translators to actually be native speakers.

and

Stone John wrote:
葡语-中文 9 May

0.05 难怪会被误解哦,0.15 都没问题的。

Nah, I confused you here. I was talking about Portuguese to English translations. That's why the crowd just fell on me like there is no tomorrow.

At this point in time I am not ready to work with Portuguese to Chinese translations yet. I can do it for fun, informal stuff like blogs, articles, letters and correspondences...can't do it for anything legal/formal/business-y etc.

Phil Hand
China
Chinese to English
Institute of Linguists May 10, 2012

www.iol.org.uk

They're something like the UK's version of the ATA.

[Edited at 2012-05-10 06:25 GMT]

lawliu
lawliu
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个恐怕要澄清 Feb 15, 2013

ysun wrote:

Adsion Liu wrote:

好運。我都準備撤出翻譯市場了。

记得你以前就说过,搞翻译太累太穷准备转行(大意)。北美翻译市场的竞争确实越来越厉害。10来年前我决定搞这行时,英译中、中译英的价格几乎是各种语言对中最高的,约为$0.30/word。如今,估计没有翻译社肯接受这样的价格。不少身居美加的翻译不得不接受$0.07/word甚至更低的价格。这比中国大陆某些同仁所能拿到的价格还低。其原因就是因为有大量不称职的翻译为了抢活而拼命压低价格。正如某些同仁所说的“劣币逐良币”。

我曾经审核过一份英译中协议。其中错误百出,几乎每一句话都必须修改,比自己从新翻译还费工夫。别的且不提,该协议末尾部分的 Name (print) 竟被译成“姓名(打印)”,看来是用机器翻译而又不作任何修改的产物。此处的print本来是指用印刷体书写。如果稍微动一下脑子,或者是经常填英文表格的人,决不会把此处的print译成“打印”。Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 关于 print 的相应解释是:
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/print_1

print
6. WRITE [intransitive and transitive] to write words by hand without joining the letters:
Please print your name clearly in the top right hand corner of the page.

翻译要根据语文场景确定具体含义。至少在合同/协议中,printed name 是为了与signature相对应。即当事人事先在印制好的文件上“打印”上姓名/名称,然后在相应的位置签名。用“印刷体书写”?难道是让当事人做两次签名吗?那以哪次为准?

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
P.R.I.N.T. Feb 15, 2013

lawliu wrote:

翻译要根据语文场景确定具体含义。至少在合同/协议中,printed name 是为了与signature相对应。即当事人事先在印制好的文件上“打印”上姓名/名称,然后在相应的位置签名。用“印刷体书写”?难道是让当事人做两次签名吗?那以哪次为准?

Rarely is there such a thing as "printed name", even in legal documents. I say rarely, 'cause who knows what could show up in some oddball documentation, present instance for example.

Yet 42 years living in the United States, I have yet to encounter such phrasing or terminology in real life, under any circumstance.

Name(print) ________________________
Signature __________________________

Immediately above, "print" in the parentheses is a verb, just like Yueyin mentioned. If someone insists on using a printer to print his or her name out before signing a document, fine. But most sensible people would just write their name out legibly with a pen, which is what the word "print" commands one to do in a situation like this.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/legibly?s=t

leg·i·ble
adjective
1. capable of being read or deciphered, especially with ease, as writing or printing; easily readable.
2. capable of being discerned or distinguished: Anger was legible in his looks and behavior.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/print?s=t

print
verb (used with object)
5. to write in letters like those commonly used in print: Print your name on these forms.

[Edited at 2013-02-16 04:08 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Exactly Feb 15, 2013

wherestip wrote:

lawliu wrote:

Rarely is there such a thing as a "printed name", even in legal documents. I say rarely, 'cause who knows what could happen in some oddball documentation, present instance for example.

Name(print) ________________________
Signature __________________________

Immediately above, "print" in the parentheses is a verb, just like Yueyin mentioned. If you want to use a printer to print your name out before signing it, fine. But most people would just write their name out legibly with a pen.

Steve,

Thank you for the explanation!

这个 PRINT 说白了,就是工工整整、一笔一划地写。当然除了“印刷体”以外,译为“请工整填写”也未尝不可。不过,“印刷体”这种说法在正式文件、协议中还是常见的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

如何开发国际市场?如何找到直接客户?如何报价才合适?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »