Quick thoughts, I am sure others have more to add.... Jun 3, 2013

EnglishChineseT wrote:

今天刚刚整理出一份想要直接联系的翻译公司清单,想到几个问题,想听听各位的看法,望不吝赐教:

1、翻译公司规模大小是以什么标准划分的,员工数、翻译能力,还是别的?

2、不同规模的翻译公司在工作流程上有没有明显差别呢?

3、作为刚入行的译者,最好打交道的是多大规模的公司呢?

4、除去公司与公司的个体差别外,有没有一般规律可循呢?

先谢谢了!

1. I can't speak for all agencies but I'd imagine when it comes to "size" it's mostly dependent on how many people they have on their team. Keep in mind though, there are spammers out there who pretend that they have addresses in various countries "Office in London" and all that- sometimes, it's but a PO box. Always triple check and do something almost like due diligence- if an agency cannot be found on blueboard, I use google map, linkedin and other online links to look up a company.

2. Yes and no I think? A lot of companies have different payment terms- I am lucky enough that the longest time it takes for me to get paid is 45 days, but I have worked for people who only paid me after 90 days (after that I don't work for them anymore). I think others in this forum will probably have more info on this one.

3. 最好打交道的 = people who pay fairly and people who pay So long as they pay I don't think the size of the company matters.

4. I would say payment terms, rate negotiation...
-If they said they will only pay you after 90 days or more and if that's a problem for you, you should reconsider. (Note: 90 days is definitely common across certain agencies, and these people pay, so don't let that stop you)
-If they refuse to pay for repetition - think twice
-If they only want to hire you on the basis that you use a number of CAT tools and that you offer discount for repetition- think twice. I don't do a lot of technical documents so I can't speak for CAT tools IN GENERAL, but in general CAT tools don't work well for the type of projects I deal with, so I usually don't offer discounts for repetitions
-If they have a poor track record on BlueBoard- likely not a good idea
-If their emails start to sound like Nigerian scams or require you to pay a certain fee to "access their workspace" - absolutely no

Go through the "Scam" forum to see a series of scams commonly targeting translators. I am not trying to scare you but I think it's important to protect yourself, in particular the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. There's been an increasing amount of identity theft happening these days.

Also, someone posted an excellent thread on LinkedIn lately about the use of proper terminology when applying or emailing agencies...I quote below one of the user's post on terms like "CV, resume, cover letter":

"...Terms such as CV/Resume, Referrals, Working for, and more are all borrowed from the corporate world of employment and therefore do not apply and are even inappropriate to the B2B environment of the commercial translation marketplace.

I think that the main reason for the wide adoption and use of this terminology by independent translators and agencies alike is lack of knowledge, that in turn leads most people to default to what they know - and most people know how the corporate employment world works much more than how to run a business. The result is that many independent translators perceive themselves as employees and the agencies as their employers."

There's a similar discussion on Proz for this too, which could be very helpful for you when discussing this technique of application when it comes to contacting agencies for the first time. I'll post the link here once I locate that discussion.

[Edited at 2013-06-03 22:55 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 11:54
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
你相得有点多 Jun 4, 2013

这东西没那么多规律可言,不必得出上述问题的答案,也许根本就都没有答案。

翻译不是科学,是艺术,很多样化的。推销自己也不应完全按照科学的思惟去做。

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
США
английский => китайский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thank you for the tips Jun 4, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

1. I can't speak for all agencies but I'd imagine when it comes to "size" it's mostly dependent on how many people they have on their team. Keep in mind though, there are spammers out there who pretend that they have addresses in various countries "Office in London" and all that- sometimes, it's but a PO box. Always triple check and do something almost like due diligence- if an agency cannot be found on blueboard, I use google map, linkedin and other online links to look up a company.
4. I would say payment terms, rate negotiation...
-If they said they will only pay you after 90 days or more and if that's a problem for you, you should reconsider. (Note: 90 days is definitely common across certain agencies, and these people pay, so don't let that stop you)
-If they refuse to pay for repetition - think twice
-If they only want to hire you on the basis that you use a number of CAT tools and that you offer discount for repetition- think twice. I don't do a lot of technical documents so I can't speak for CAT tools IN GENERAL, but in general CAT tools don't work well for the type of projects I deal with, so I usually don't offer discounts for repetitions
-If they have a poor track record on BlueBoard- likely not a good idea
-If their emails start to sound like Nigerian scams or require you to pay a certain fee to "access their workspace" - absolutely no

Thank you, Rita. Those are precious tips. I can tell that you are very smart in protecting yourself from scams. I should learn some real and scaring cases before jumping into the swimming pool. It is better to prepare than to regret.

Your suggestion on CV/cover letter is very helpful too. You reminded me that I am still thinking in the mindset of an employee, not as an independent service provider. Well, I realize that working as a freelancer is not as easy as I thought to be. Still lots to learn. Thanks for taking time to share.

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
США
английский => китайский
+ ...
Автор темы
自由了,倒不知道该怎么做了 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

您说得对,这种灵活性,或者说street smart,我还真是缺呢。做自由译者需要若干顶帽子,策划、营销、项目管理,都搞定了,才能安静坐下来翻译。做成功的自由译者,真得十八般武艺精通才行呀。不知前辈在如何推销自己上,能否分享一下您的成功经验?

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
最大的经验其实就是没经验 Jun 4, 2013

EnglishChineseT wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

您说得对,这种灵活性,或者说street smart,我还真是缺呢。做自由译者需要若干顶帽子,策划、营销、项目管理,都搞定了,才能安静坐下来翻译。做成功的自由译者,真得十八般武艺精通才行呀。不知前辈在如何推销自己上,能否分享一下您的成功经验?

要是非BRAINSTORM出来点经验的话,就是质量。都能做到和孙樂音差不多的质量了,你想客户还能跑吗?

他们不仅是满意,而且是感動、激動, 因为他们总是拿著我的译文被客户夸。

絕巧是什么?没絕巧。我这个人生性胆小,生怕客户不满意,因此就总是把文件做得很彻底,彻底到我自己挑不出不满意的地方。

[Edited at 2013-06-04 05:25 GMT]

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
最近我自己也被感动了 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

EnglishChineseT wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

手头在改一个关于HEALTH CARE PROXY的文件,16000多字,快改完了,到现在为止只挑除了不足10个可改的地方。不知到谁做的。真是藏龙卧虎啊。

两个月前给一个欧洲客户改一个联锁酒店的推广材料,2000多字,没有一个字可改。也是不知道谁做的。这些人,我都有认他们做干儿子的冲动。

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
与此相反 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

EnglishChineseT wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

有一个合作10年的公司,一直用很差得翻译,我只做EDITING,他们的译文,每句话都需要有几处改动,这些翻译根本就看不大懂英文,也不知道好的中文应该怎么说。比如把塞到冠心病人血管里的支架那么小的东西翻译成设备。不知该笑还是该哭。怎么不翻译成仪器呢,那个更大。还有DIM这个缩写,就是尺码的意思,他非得给你理解成直径不可。说的是血管的DIM 是55MM,他给翻译成血管直径55MM。恐龙的主动脉也许都没那么粗吧。血管的尺码倒是可以那么大,因为尺码是长度。

你给他改了,他坚持改回去。第一次有理解误区,可以原谅,你都给他改过了,他还是没明白为什么要改

[Edited at 2013-06-04 05:40 GMT]

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
越说越多 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

EnglishChineseT wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

有一个合作10年的公司,一直用很差得翻译,我只做EDITING,他们的译文,每句话都需要有几处改动,这些翻译根本就看不大懂英文,也不知道好的中文应该怎么说。比如把塞到冠心病人血管里的支架那么小的东西翻译成设备。不知该笑还是该哭。怎么不翻译成仪器呢,那个更大。还有DIM这个缩写,就是尺码的意思,他非得给你理解成直径不可。说的是血管的DIM 是55MM,他给翻译成血管直径55MM。恐龙的主动脉也许都没那么粗吧。血管的尺码倒是可以那么大,因为尺码是长度。

上述翻译公司就这样经营,一年的利润仍旧能达到200万(保守估计)

他们的翻译是如此的烂,以致于10几年了, 那句“FEDERAL LAW RESTRICT THIS DEVICE TO SALE BY 。。。”一直没搞定,到现在还在每天出错。 You know what I mean.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
Китай
Local time: 23:54
английский => китайский
+ ...
的确令人感动 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

这样的极品翻译,碰上了是福气,也是学习的一个好机会!

Jinhang Wang
Китай
английский => китайский
+ ...
直径也许是对的 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

jyuan_us 兄,我觉得他们的翻译也许是有道理的:

http://ask.39.net/question/5644627.html

尺码反而觉得意犹未尽。

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
我没有去查主动脉直径,只是用手比了一下 Jun 4, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

尺码反而觉得意犹未尽。

没想到主动脉真的可以那么粗。然而,这个器械是介入性器械,是用于外周血管的,也就是小动脉。而且那个DIM来自器械的示意图,左右是箭头,中间是这个缩写,也就是说,这个DIM是箭头所指的两点间的距离,显然不是直径,而是长度。而且,同一个图上本身有标diameter的地方,凡是截面的地方,标的都是DIAMENTER,凡是长度的地方,都是用箭头 +中间的DIM。

这个英文缩写本身就含糊,可能也是原作者临时起意就用了。但是,作为翻译,总是应该有点COMMON SENSE的。

Jinhang Wang
Китай
английский => китайский
+ ...
具体翻译要看语境 Jun 4, 2013

我如果有不确定的地方,只要有条件,我都会要求客户澄清。毕竟,我们的知识是有限的。

jyuan_us
США
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => китайский
+ ...
澄清 Jun 4, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

尺码反而觉得意犹未尽。

我提到主动脉只是想打个比方,或者为了说得形象一点。这个器械跟主动脉一点关系也没有。难得你还真去查了。是我没说清楚。学习了!

Jinhang Wang
Китай
английский => китайский
+ ...
探讨 Federal law restrict this device to sale by or on the order of a physician 的译法 Jun 4, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

他们的翻译是如此的烂,以致于10几年了, 那句“FEDERAL LAW RESTRICT THIS DEVICE TO SALE BY 。。。”一直没搞定,到现在还在每天出错。 You know what I mean.

这句话出现得比较多,不妨探讨一下。

按我的理解,这句话是说:联邦法律规定,此器械仅限于由医师出售或遵照医师的指令出售。

我觉得,一种错得离谱的译法是,联邦法律禁止......

欢迎对联邦法律比较了解或熟悉相关背景的人给予指点。

[Edited at 2013-06-04 07:04 GMT]

Страниц в теме:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Rita Pang[Call to this topic]
David Lin[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

翻译公司规模与自由译者的关系

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »