Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
What’s wrong with saying ‘Hope you are well’ in work emails?
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can´t read Dec 4, 2023

I am sorry, Nik. I tried different browsers in my PC and mi mobile, but that link always leads me to the same web hosting selling page, in EN and Ukranian. For example: Купити VPN , Купити Хостинг

So, I don`t know what Judith Humphrey suggests or proposes.

Jennifer Levey
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Nikita Kobrin

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:22
Greek to English
Dear Dec 5, 2023

I try to avoid starting letters or emails with the salutation "Dear Jim", or "Dear Ms. Roberts", or "Dear Lord Cameron", unless the person in question is genuinely dear to me.

Am I wrong to do that?

Barbara Carrara
Wolfgang Schoene
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Cheap Dec 5, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
All the "five reasons" and "ten things" articles are just booked for the cheapest of writers out there without any journalism background.

I could probably write a very compelling article on "5 reasons why you should start your business email saying 'Alright mate?'" (or better yet, have ChatGPT write it for me) and publish it on LinkedIn, and someone might eventually post it here... But I don't come cheap.. I'm still paying for my hosting (a lot of good it does me).

Lingua 5B
expressisverbis

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:22
German to English
social conventions Dec 5, 2023

I tend to write the actual content of an email, then assuming I remember and don't hit send too quickly, I go back and add a social nicety at the beginning and the end because most of the people with whom I communicate do that and I don't want to seem rude. I do not care at all whether someone wishes me well or not, and I certainly don't get irritated or assume they're being deceptive if they do. Although, like Tom, my preference is to skip all of that and just get down to business immediately. ... See more
I tend to write the actual content of an email, then assuming I remember and don't hit send too quickly, I go back and add a social nicety at the beginning and the end because most of the people with whom I communicate do that and I don't want to seem rude. I do not care at all whether someone wishes me well or not, and I certainly don't get irritated or assume they're being deceptive if they do. Although, like Tom, my preference is to skip all of that and just get down to business immediately.
I don't care about most social conventions all that much, but I know they are important to many people, so I try to comply with them.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Wolfgang Schoene
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yuri Larin
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Purely cynically ... Dec 5, 2023

If I am feeling well and relaxed, the chances are I will provide a better translation.

I have learned the hard way not to deliver jobs when under the influence of migraine medication!! I have occasionally asked a colleague to proofread a job for me or warned the agency that they should get someone to check it carefully.

I have every respect for people who never take a day off, and work from their sickbeds, but I don't mind anyone wishing me well!

[Edited at 2023-
... See more
If I am feeling well and relaxed, the chances are I will provide a better translation.

I have learned the hard way not to deliver jobs when under the influence of migraine medication!! I have occasionally asked a colleague to proofread a job for me or warned the agency that they should get someone to check it carefully.

I have every respect for people who never take a day off, and work from their sickbeds, but I don't mind anyone wishing me well!

[Edited at 2023-12-06 09:50 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees

Carlos A R de Souza
Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A deeper meaning Dec 5, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Judith Humphrey, a communications expert, argues it’s time to ban this meaningless phrase once and for all.

How often do our workplace communications open with “I hope you are well” or “I trust you are doing fine”?

These “wellness checks” reflect the fact that everybody has become more conscious of the need to be kind to others. That’s a good thing. Our workplace has become a setting where the best bosses and colleagues take pride in showing sensitivity to the emotional and physical well-being of others.

And for these reasons, beginning a letter or a conversation with “I hope you are well” has some merit. But even if it reflects the best of intentions, this opening should be abandoned for the five reasons about which you can read in the article by the following link:

http://surl.li/nwyjz

Do you agree with Judith Humphrey? I do.

NK

The purpose of asking if the speaker is well should not be taken at face value. This is part of the phatic function of language, where the focus is on social interaction rather than information exchange.

Of course, if this approach feels too routine, there are plenty of other creative ways to start a conversation.

This webpage describes it in slightly more detail: https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100321840#:~:text=The%20phatic%20function%20is%20the,they%20are%20also%20being%20understood.

[Edited at 2023-12-06 13:13 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Some people will take offence at anything Dec 5, 2023

I can't believe anyone would be bothered by someone wishing them well. After all, what does "Good morning" mean?

Have a nice day, everyone!

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Lingua 5B
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
finnword1

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The original link Dec 5, 2023

Hi Walter,

Nice to see you here on Proz.com, old chap. Hope you are well and doing fine!

Walter Landesman wrote:

I am sorry, Nik. I tried different browsers in my PC and mi mobile, but that link always leads me to the same web hosting selling page, in EN and Ukranian. For example: Купити VPN , Купити Хостинг

So, I don`t know what Judith Humphrey suggests or proposes.

Thanks for letting me know. The original link is quite long and for that reason I have replaced it with a shorter one. It works for me. But if you and some other colleagues experience problems with that shorter link, here is the original one:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90989205/whats-wrong-with-saying-i-hope-you-are-well-in-work-emails

Hope it works!

NK

Walter Landesman

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
offence vs. absurdity Dec 5, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Some people will take offence at anything. I can't believe anyone would be bothered by someone wishing them well. After all, what does "Good morning" mean? Some people will take offence at anything.

So true, Christopher! I would add to that: some people can even reduce anything to an absurdity...

NK

Christopher Schröder

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 14:22
Japanese to English
Right?! Dec 5, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I can't believe anyone would be bothered by someone wishing them well. After all, what does "Good morning" mean?

Have a nice day, everyone!

I don't even blame the grifter who wrote that meaningless article, I blame the people taking it seriously. Has society declined so much that we don't even have time for simple pleasantries? Ridiculous!

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Metin Demirel
Lingua 5B
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grifter? Dec 5, 2023

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

I don't even blame the grifter who wrote that meaningless article

Collins English Dictionary: grifter - a person who swindles another out of money

Kuochoe, are you sure this is the case?

NK

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Somewhat Dec 5, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

I don't even blame the grifter who wrote that meaningless article

Collins English Dictionary: grifter - a person who swindles another out of money

Kuochoe, are you sure this is the case?

NK

That article is a lot of fluff but will be monetized through ads. Because this kind of BS is getting read a lot.

Nikita Kobrin
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a crime Dec 5, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

That article is a lot of fluff but will be monetized through ads.

I'm afraid the author of the article will get nothing out of that monetization, but even if she will, I believe she can't be called a grifter...

NK

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Of course she will Dec 5, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

That article is a lot of fluff but will be monetized through ads.

I'm afraid the author of the article will get nothing out of that monetization, but even if she will, I believe she can't be called a grifter...

NK

I see a ton of ads and backlinks on that article. Each time it is shared through other links she gets views. Typical web journalism.

But I agree with you, it’s not at the level of crime. It’s just cheap writing and views fishing.

finnword1
Baran Keki

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 6, 2023

Hoping everyone here is well,

I really don't understand why anyone would take offence at people trying to be nice.
I work with human beings and I do genuinely hope that they are well. Why would I ever wish anything else?
OK there are times I don't care whether a client is well. For example last year I pointedly stopped saying it to the client who found an error in my invoice and just put it to one side instead of flagging my error, then ignored all my messages until I
... See more
Hoping everyone here is well,

I really don't understand why anyone would take offence at people trying to be nice.
I work with human beings and I do genuinely hope that they are well. Why would I ever wish anything else?
OK there are times I don't care whether a client is well. For example last year I pointedly stopped saying it to the client who found an error in my invoice and just put it to one side instead of flagging my error, then ignored all my messages until I threatened not to deliver the next translation, then merely said she wouldn't pay it because there was an error, but refused to say what the error was meaning that I had to go back and check the entire bill for several different translations.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Yuri Larin
Lingua 5B
Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen
Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What’s wrong with saying ‘Hope you are well’ in work emails?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »