A challenge to Arab translators.
Thread poster: Mohammed Mousa
Mohammed Mousa
Mohammed Mousa
Local time: 21:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 29, 2002

The following topic is taken from a Saudi English daily.(A letter to the Editor, Saudi Gazette, Monday 28 Oct. 2002).it is very interesting, because it has something to do with the ambitious Arabic Dictionary project. I hope it would \"move\" Arab translators to do something.

Arabic dictionaries

Sir – Yakub Meeran Mujtahidi is to be commended for his ceaseless efforts and utter devotion to his commitment. After 25 years of painstaking efforts a n
... See more

The following topic is taken from a Saudi English daily.(A letter to the Editor, Saudi Gazette, Monday 28 Oct. 2002).it is very interesting, because it has something to do with the ambitious Arabic Dictionary project. I hope it would \"move\" Arab translators to do something.

Arabic dictionaries

Sir – Yakub Meeran Mujtahidi is to be commended for his ceaseless efforts and utter devotion to his commitment. After 25 years of painstaking efforts a new Urdu –English dictionary will soon be out in print by the said author – with an agreement for a license to present it on website.

Apart from the well-known Lebanese author, Baalbaki’s English-Arabic and Arabic-English dictionaries for several decades now, none has been on the market in recent years. Or, at least to my humble knowledge, no one has undertaken the onerous task of updating existing ones. A recent edition of English- Arabic and Arabic-English dictionaries called ‘Students Dictionary” by Abdulhafez Baidun – also from Lebanon- has been on the bookshelves for the past 10-15 months. Apart from being so “compact”, it contains all major words and terms. However, many lovers of words would be too pleased to know if efforts are underway to prepare a more phenomenal dictionary containing more non-English words recently interacted in English vocabulary such as “intifada” etc.

I look forward to hearing on this topic.

Saeed Ahmed Siraj

Al-kharj

Collapse

Amer al-Azem
Amer al-Azem
Palestine
Local time: 21:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
We have already taken the challenge, Mohamed! Nov 6, 2002

I hope this guy be told about our great move.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A challenge to Arab translators.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »