michelebe (X)
michelebe (X)
Belgium
Local time: 13:43
English to French
+ ...
Aug 8, 2005

Hello,

I am currently trying the demo version of Worfast. Last week, I made a translation : no problem, great !
But when I tried to begin a new document this morning, when opening Wordfast, I saw that background colors have disappeared : source and target segments appear in white boxes, black border and text...

Is there a means to restore the blue/grey/green/yellow backgrounds ??? I found how to replace color of text, but not of background.

Thank yo
... See more
Hello,

I am currently trying the demo version of Worfast. Last week, I made a translation : no problem, great !
But when I tried to begin a new document this morning, when opening Wordfast, I saw that background colors have disappeared : source and target segments appear in white boxes, black border and text...

Is there a means to restore the blue/grey/green/yellow backgrounds ??? I found how to replace color of text, but not of background.

Thank you !
Michèle
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Open segment Aug 8, 2005

Hi, Michèle,

You need to open a segment in order to see the background colours. After you create/select a TM, just place the cursor at the beginning of the text and press Alt+Down.

Try to read the manual if you haven't already. I find it very helpful.

HTH,
Dan

michelebe (X)
michelebe (X)
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Aug 8, 2005

I did it and even when I go to the following segment, it appears the same : white background...
in the manual, they speak about a "TransparentSegment" function that can be applied in the Pandora's box, in order to remove the background color, but I want to restore initial backgrounds...

Dan Marasescu wrote:

Hi, Michèle,

You need to open a segment in order to see the background colours. After you create/select a TM, just place the cursor at the beginning of the text and press Alt+Down.

Try to read the manual if you haven't already. I find it very helpful.

HTH,
Dan

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
PB Aug 8, 2005

In order to deactivate the PB option, go to Pandora's Box list and insert an underscore between Transparent and Segment, like this Transparent_Segment (if it's not there already). See if this changes anything.

Dan

michelebe (X)
michelebe (X)
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
there is already a "_" Aug 8, 2005

there is already a "_" between "Transparent" and "Segment"

I really do not see what mishandling I could have made (?????).

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Normal in documents using shading Aug 8, 2005

michelebe wrote:

Hello Michèle,

This is normal if the document you're translating includes shading. Wordfast stops using its shading (the colour of the boxes) in these documents not to override the shading in your document (which might get lost).

If you see no shading in your document, perhaps it uses "white" shading, which is something else than "no shading" although it looks the same. This is often the case with documents converted from PDF.

If you want to remove the shading from your document, select all and go to Borders and Shading in Word and apply "No shading".

michelebe (X)
michelebe (X)
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK !!!!!!!! Aug 8, 2005

Thank you very much David, my colors are back !!!!! (black and white was very too sad )

The doc was not in "no fill" format... odd, because I used a new document that is usually not in such a format ! I will pay attention to that in the future !

Thank you Dan too !

Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you and why with .pdf converted files? Aug 9, 2005

David Daduè wrote:
If you see no shading in your document, perhaps it uses "white" shading, which is something else than "no shading" although it looks the same. This is often the case with documents converted from PDF.

Thanks David - now I know something which I did not and was just about to ask having experienced the very same thing on my last translation. Out of interest, is there a specific/technical reason why this is so with files converted from pdf?

Cheers,
Bambi

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
No idea why converted PDFs Aug 9, 2005

Bilingualduo wrote:

Out of interest, is there a specific/technical reason why this is so with files converted from pdf?

I really don't know why this often concerns converted PDF files; it's based on experience with a few files of this type.

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
English to Polish
+ ...
Same problem :( Aug 15, 2007

White frames, black borders. But the document [Word] does not have fill/background, no shading. And it's not a conversion from pdf. Any suggestions how I can make the boxes colored again?

Joanna

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Marcela Robaina Boyd  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
background colours Nov 22, 2011

Play forward several years and thanks David.

lestertrad
lestertrad
French to English
+ ...
That did it! Mar 9, 2012

David Daduč wrote:
This is normal if the document you're translating includes shading. Wordfast stops using its shading (the colour of the boxes) in these documents not to override the shading in your document (which might get lost).

If you want to remove the shading from your document, select all and go to Borders and Shading in Word and apply "No shading".

Mr. David Daduč, I wish I could buy you a beer. You know your stuff! Thanks!

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Fast forward to 2018.... Apr 26, 2018

Thanks - this keeps happening during the translation of a large doc in WF Classic... I must be accidentally pressing a shortcut as I work and activating the shading, which deactivated the colours of the segments!
Problem solved!!
Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Background colors have disappeared

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »