Thread poster: Jane Adler
Jane Adler
Jane Adler  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
English to German
+ ...
Dec 14, 2005

Hello guys!

Has anyone got experience with tanslating scripts and then record the text with your own voice and computer? In this case it's for e-learning tools.
How long does it normally take to complete the recording of a 1 minute audio file (.wav)? Or would you simply add an additional per word surcharge to the translation/editing? How much can I charge?

Thanks.
Jane

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 22:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
per minute rate Dec 14, 2005

Hi,

As far as I know recording is computer as per minute with rate ranging from $18-35/m.

Kind regards
Ahmad Wadan
www.arablish.com

CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
French to English
+ ...
Charge by the hour Dec 14, 2005

This is an hourly charge. The less experienced you are, the longer it will take. To record 5 minutes of audio, it usually takes one of my V/O artists about 15-20 minutes. This is because you will record a paragraph, misspeak, have to re-do it and then when you think it's done, you'll listen to it again and want to change something. Very few people get it right on the first take. Also, keep in mind that translating for voice over is very different that translating something that will be written a... See more
This is an hourly charge. The less experienced you are, the longer it will take. To record 5 minutes of audio, it usually takes one of my V/O artists about 15-20 minutes. This is because you will record a paragraph, misspeak, have to re-do it and then when you think it's done, you'll listen to it again and want to change something. Very few people get it right on the first take. Also, keep in mind that translating for voice over is very different that translating something that will be written and not read aloud. You have to translate for the ear.

EagleJane wrote:

Hello guys!

Has anyone got experience with tanslating scripts and then record the text with your own voice and computer? In this case it's for e-learning tools.
How long does it normally take to complete the recording of a 1 minute audio file (.wav)? Or would you simply add an additional per word surcharge to the translation/editing? How much can I charge?

Thanks.
Jane
Collapse

Jane Adler
Jane Adler  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Dec 14, 2005

CML wrote:

This is an hourly charge. The less experienced you are, the longer it will take. To record 5 minutes of audio, it usually takes one of my V/O artists about 15-20 minutes. This is because you will record a paragraph, misspeak, have to re-do it and then when you think it's done, you'll listen to it again and want to change something. Very few people get it right on the first take. Also, keep in mind that translating for voice over is very different that translating something that will be written and not read aloud. You have to translate for the ear.

EagleJane wrote:

Hello guys!

Thanks.
Jane

Thanks a lot for your advice. That makes a bit clearer! Thank you. But...what would you charge for translation and/or voice over?

Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:05
English to German
+ ...
How long is a string? Dec 15, 2005

EagleJane wrote:
Thanks a lot for your advice. That makes a bit clearer! Thank you. But...what would you charge for translation and/or voice over?

REAL voice artists (the guys you hear doing radio ads) will charge 400 US$ plus per hour for normal voice-over work. Famous voices can charge the earth. Translation would be charged on top of that. The work you describe might also call for some form of royalties/compensation if the client is planning to sell/distribute these e-learning tools.

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Ratio produced minutes/minutes of work... Dec 16, 2005

CML wrote:

This is an hourly charge. The less experienced you are, the longer it will take. To record 5 minutes of audio, it usually takes one of my V/O artists about 15-20 minutes.

I can confirm it. The ratio between 1:3 and 1:4 (produced minutes/minutes of work) it's normal when you have a good text. I was able to keep this ratio also making voice over syncronized with video and original voice (but not dubbing, just documental films).

The hourly charge here in Poland for "normal people" (i mean no famous voices) it's around twice the rate for simultaneous interpreting, so it's good payed.

CML wrote:

Also, keep in mind that translating for voice over is very different that translating something that will be written and not read aloud. You have to translate for the ear.

CML wrote somethings VERY IMPORTANT. If you will do the translation you must chech if it SOUNDS good (first problem) and if you have to keep your voice inside some time limit, if it's possibile to produce this text, speaking, inside this time limit, without losing the "beauty" of the speaking..

These are things very very difficult to explain to the customer..

Daniele

Mrs Shell
Mrs Shell
United States
Local time: 15:05
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
just want to verify the rate Mar 30, 2006

So, 50 cents per munite would be considered a prover middle-range rate?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voiceover recording rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »