Thread poster: Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:13
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 28, 2016

I am about to invest in a quality mic as I have decided I should really pick voice-over as the new profession.

I have not done this before, all I have got is that people call my voice "microphonic". Plus, I was always in love with dubbing artists, match commentators etc. I would really like to make use of my voice even it would be possible to a certain extent.

The reason I am opening this thread is whether there is a source or way to gauge the amount of voice-over jobs
... See more
I am about to invest in a quality mic as I have decided I should really pick voice-over as the new profession.

I have not done this before, all I have got is that people call my voice "microphonic". Plus, I was always in love with dubbing artists, match commentators etc. I would really like to make use of my voice even it would be possible to a certain extent.

The reason I am opening this thread is whether there is a source or way to gauge the amount of voice-over jobs pop up.

I am a Turkish native speaker and I have been doing translations for like 8 years now (although my profile here does not show much) and I have seen that many people in Turkey call themselves "translators" since they know some mediocre level of English language and what's more, the translation bureaus offer ridiculous amounts which are met by those low-quality level of "translators".

Also, technology is seriously threatening written translation market as MTs keep evolving, in my opinion.

I am not bothered if voice-over projects come comparably rarer - I just want to feel that I have been paid enough for my efforts after hours of hard work while having enjoyed my job at a whole different level.

Thank you for your inputs in advance.

Özgür
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some input Dec 29, 2016

A friend of mine did it here in Brazil. Initially, she was a translator. Then she took a formal course to be an emcee and radio speaker. Then she bought a $300 Sennheiser microphone among other audio equipment, but that was only part of it. She bought a large soundproof cabin which she put in her office. Later, when she shut down that office, and decided to work from home, she couldn't sell it, so she donated it to some worthy institution that also dubbed videos. She bought a portable one, for u... See more
A friend of mine did it here in Brazil. Initially, she was a translator. Then she took a formal course to be an emcee and radio speaker. Then she bought a $300 Sennheiser microphone among other audio equipment, but that was only part of it. She bought a large soundproof cabin which she put in her office. Later, when she shut down that office, and decided to work from home, she couldn't sell it, so she donated it to some worthy institution that also dubbed videos. She bought a portable one, for use at home.

Though you can clean the noise, and to some extent muffle the echo with software, it's not the same thing as getting an echo-free recording and then creating the artificial environment you want.

Now she is in the USA, so busy translating that I guess she doesn't have time to do voice work. Neverheless, as someone asked, she gave me two references she uses for rates:
https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.voices.com/resources/rates&ei=5BpRNLKD&lc=pt-BR&s=1&m=812&host=www.google.com.br&ts=1480003103&sig=AF9NedmuEcg86pU3XOGrKj1yZ5s3Wb_kYA
http://support.voice123.com/hc/en-us/articles/205237644-Average-Industry-prices-for-Non-union-work-on-Voice123

Maybe these will give you an idea. Good luck!
Collapse

Ozgur Demirel
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Briefly... Dec 29, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

A friend of mine did it here in Brazil. Initially, she was a translator. Then she took a formal course to be an emcee and radio speaker. Then she bought a $300 Sennheiser microphone among other audio equipment, but that was only part of it. She bought a large soundproof cabin which she put in her office. Later, when she shut down that office, and decided to work from home, she couldn't sell it, so she donated it to some worthy institution that also dubbed videos. She bought a portable one, for use at home.

Though you can clean the noise, and to some extent muffle the echo with software, it's not the same thing as getting an echo-free recording and then creating the artificial environment you want.

Now she is in the USA, so busy translating that I guess she doesn't have time to do voice work. Neverheless, as someone asked, she gave me two references she uses for rates:
https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.voices.com/resources/rates&ei=5BpRNLKD&lc=pt-BR&s=1&m=812&host=www.google.com.br&ts=1480003103&sig=AF9NedmuEcg86pU3XOGrKj1yZ5s3Wb_kYA
http://support.voice123.com/hc/en-us/articles/205237644-Average-Industry-prices-for-Non-union-work-on-Voice123

Maybe these will give you an idea. Good luck!

Should I take your input as "no, not much voice-over jobs pop up and it's a dead investment" ?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No. Dec 29, 2016

I wouldn't know anything about Turkey, the Turkish market, or the Turkish language.

What I'm saying is that the microphone is not all that you need to offer professional-level audio service.
If all you plan to have is that $300 mike, you could use a $7 earset like mine (about as good as my voice for this kind of work) instead, and clean up and normalize via software.

You could try getting in contact with these peop
... See more
I wouldn't know anything about Turkey, the Turkish market, or the Turkish language.

What I'm saying is that the microphone is not all that you need to offer professional-level audio service.
If all you plan to have is that $300 mike, you could use a $7 earset like mine (about as good as my voice for this kind of work) instead, and clean up and normalize via software.

You could try getting in contact with these people - http://www.marsandiz.com - (don't know them, it was the first I found in Istanbul on Google) and see for yourself. There may be others. If you are really good at it, they might have work for you. And they probably have many microphones in place there already.
Collapse

Ozgur Demirel
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 29, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

You could try getting in contact with these people - http://www.marsandiz.com - (don't know them, it was the first I found in Istanbul on Google) and see for yourself. There may be others. If you are really good at it, they might have work for you. And they probably have many microphones in place there already.

Hmm, understood. I was rather looking into a 150 USD gadget as a mic. Helpful reminders there, thank you.

That studio looks like a musician's studio. And since I am in Belgium right now I don't know how they would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmenting Off To Voice-Over

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »