Possible to burn subtitles in Subtitle Edit?
Thread poster: Janica Lundholm
Janica Lundholm
Janica Lundholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2018

Dear all,
Anyone with experience from working in Subtitle Edit and who knows if it's possible to burn the subtitles on to the video file? Or do I need to use another software for this?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
NO Jan 26, 2018

Subtitle Edit, like Subtitle Workshop and others are subtitle EDITORS. Their end-product is a timed subtitles file in one of the 60+ file formats available.

Some options for burning subtitles on video are:
  • VirtualDub with Lee Avery's Subtitler plugin (my favorite) - burns SSA subtitle files on AVI only
  • Format Factory - many colleagues prefer it, I've never tried
  • Any Video Con... See more
Subtitle Edit, like Subtitle Workshop and others are subtitle EDITORS. Their end-product is a timed subtitles file in one of the 60+ file formats available.

• VirtualDub with Lee Avery's Subtitler plugin (my favorite) - burns SSA subtitle files on AVI only
  • Any Video Converter, aka AVC
  • Movavi
  • AVS Video Converter
  • DVD Flick - it actually doesn't burn the subtitles on the video, but authors a DVD with optionally overlaid subtitles.

Except Movavi, all are freeware; AVC has free and paid versions.

You can find A LOT of info on this by searching on http://www.videohelp.com

This article of mine - http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html - is intended for clients, and describes the entire subtitling process. Maybe you'll find some interesting details there, like the SSA vs. SRT comparison, as you can get both (and many others) from Subtitle Edit.
Collapse

Janica Lundholm
Janica Lundholm  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 26, 2018

Valuable answers as usual, José! A million thanks, I will immediately read your article.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

• Any Video Converter, aka AVC
  • Movavi
  • AVS Video Converter
  • DVD Flick - it actually doesn't burn the subtitles on the video, but authors a DVD with optionally overlaid subtitles.

Except Movavi, all are freeware; AVC has free and paid versions.

You can find A LOT of info on this by searching on http://www.videohelp.com

This article of mine - http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html - is intended for clients, and describes the entire subtitling process. Maybe you'll find some interesting details there, like the SSA vs. SRT comparison, as you can get both (and many others) from Subtitle Edit.

Luka Demarin
Luka Demarin  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, you can do it. Sep 5, 2022

Janica Lundholm wrote:

Dear all,
Anyone with experience from working in Subtitle Edit and who knows if it's possible to burn the subtitles on to the video file? Or do I need to use another software for this?

You can do it in Subtitle Edit. No need for another software.
Under "Video" menu choose "Generate video with burn-in subs".

[Edited at 2022-09-05 12:47 GMT]

Milan Condak
Stepan Konev
Maycolt Uzcategui

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:59
English to Russian
Since 2021 Sep 5, 2022

Luka Demarin wrote:
You can do it in Subtitle Edit.
It was added in version 3.6.2 (24th August 2021).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to burn subtitles in Subtitle Edit?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »