Aegisub Parsing Error When Importing SRT
Thread poster: Robert Edison
Robert Edison
Robert Edison  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
Oct 4, 2017

I am trying to load an SRT into Aegisub, but every time I try I get an error saying "expected timestamp pair at line 2". I have checked the SRT thoroughly, and there are no errors with syntax or anything, and there is clearly a timestamp pair at line 2. The subtitles play perfectly in VLC media player.

Has anyone experienced this? It is driving me nuts.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Troubleshooting Oct 4, 2017

Hello,

This seems to be an error thrown by Aegisub during its initial parsing of an SRT file.

Maybe this article can help you spot/fix the possible error? The devil is in the details.

https://knowledge.kaltura.com/troubleshooting-srt-files

You can also paste the first lines of the SRT here.

Jean

Robert Edison
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Oct 4, 2017

Here are the first three lines:

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:04,000
The text is written here.

I know it is reading the index numbers because when I delete the 1 that error comes up. For some reason it does not like my time stamps.

Robert Edison
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed It Oct 4, 2017

I tried putting the text on a different PC and saving that file as an SRT and it works now.

Thanks for the help.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Great! Oct 4, 2017

Hello Robert,

I'm glad you've fixed it.

I can't see any error in the timestamp you provided.

Jean

Robin Hardy-King
Robin Hardy-King
Local time: 15:38
French to English
Solution Dec 19, 2017

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello,

This seems to be an error thrown by Aegisub during its initial parsing of an SRT file.

Maybe this article can help you spot/fix the possible error? The devil is in the details.

https://knowledge.kaltura.com/troubleshooting-srt-files

You can also paste the first lines of the SRT here.

Jean

I came here via Google because I had this very problem. The article you linked to suggested that Aegisub and some other subtitle editors would fix parsing errors automatically. This was a bit of a Catch 22 as the parsing error was preventing Aegisub from loading the file!

However, I downloaded another program, Subtitle Edit, which could open my file, I then saved it and Bingo!, Aegisub could now open the newly-saved file.

I have since worked on the text of the file in Notepad and had it fail to load in the video player (VLC) several times, but each time loading and saving in Subtitle Edit fixed the problem.

[Edited at 2017-12-19 07:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-12-19 07:12 GMT]

Katharine Halls
Katharine Halls
Arabic to English
solved by replacing line breaks Jan 30, 2018

Hi colleagues,

I came to this topic in the same way as previous posters but couldn't use the Subtitle Edit solution as it's not available for Mac.

However, I ultimately solved the issue by working out that it had something to do with how the line breaks were formatted. I opened my broken srt file in textedit and used the find and replace function to search for line breaks. I then simply replaced them with line breaks. I don't really understand how this worked, but it di
... See more
Hi colleagues,

I came to this topic in the same way as previous posters but couldn't use the Subtitle Edit solution as it's not available for Mac.

However, I ultimately solved the issue by working out that it had something to do with how the line breaks were formatted. I opened my broken srt file in textedit and used the find and replace function to search for line breaks. I then simply replaced them with line breaks. I don't really understand how this worked, but it did!

Good luck to fellow suffering subtitlers.

KLH
Collapse

cardesgmailc
cardesgmailc
Brazil
Solution for mac users Nov 28, 2019

Hi, it worked for me: open the .srt file in text editor -> menu format -> convert to simple text. Then save as .rtf and rename as .srt

Leonel Kaplan

I want a text editor link Nov 17, 2020

My friend cardesgmailc, put the program link from the official website, because there are many programs like this name .

Change number separator symbols Aug 19, 2021

I had the same problem and I solved it by verifying that the leading lines had the number separator symbol with ";" instead of ",". I changed them to ",". Hope it helps you with the idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub Parsing Error When Importing SRT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »