Looking to share SDL Trados files and TMs with other freelancers without SDL Live Team or GroupShare
Thread poster: Sonia Gouin
Sonia Gouin
Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:30
English to French
Dec 8, 2020

Hi all:

I'm about to start a large project and will need the help of two freelancers I often work with. This project has a very large number of files so I would like to be able to put the files in a common directory and perhaps even update the TM live (if possible). We all own recent freelance versions of SDL Trados. I looked into SDL Live Team, which would be great, but it's over $2000 a year. I was considering using Sharepoint for this. Can you update a TM live in Sharepoint? Or w
... See more
Hi all:

I'm about to start a large project and will need the help of two freelancers I often work with. This project has a very large number of files so I would like to be able to put the files in a common directory and perhaps even update the TM live (if possible). We all own recent freelance versions of SDL Trados. I looked into SDL Live Team, which would be great, but it's over $2000 a year. I was considering using Sharepoint for this. Can you update a TM live in Sharepoint? Or would we need to update it at the end of the day perhaps? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:30
English to Russian
I used Dropbox for that Dec 9, 2020

I translated a big project along with 2 my team mates. I created 3 identical TMs for each translator (for example, TM_sk for me, TM_jd for John Doe, and TM_mj for Mary Jane). Each translator could update his/her TM and read the two other TMs, with all 3 TMs stored on Dropbox. I borrowed this method from Paul Filkin of SDL. I read an article about it, but I cannot find it now...
The restriction is that free Dropbox allows me to have only 2 connections (i.e. 2 team membe
... See more
I translated a big project along with 2 my team mates. I created 3 identical TMs for each translator (for example, TM_sk for me, TM_jd for John Doe, and TM_mj for Mary Jane). Each translator could update his/her TM and read the two other TMs, with all 3 TMs stored on Dropbox. I borrowed this method from Paul Filkin of SDL. I read an article about it, but I cannot find it now...
The restriction is that free Dropbox allows me to have only 2 connections (i.e. 2 team members in addition to myself). Actually I did not need more, and that was sufficient for my purposes.

[Edited at 2020-12-09 15:45 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:30
English to Russian
Ah, here you are Dec 9, 2020

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/12/08/with-a-little-help/

However, this method is obviously not as convenient as GroupShare. If it was, the SDL solutions would not cost so much.

[Edited at 2020-12-09 12:59 GMT]

Sonia Gouin
Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:30
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Looking to share SDL Trados files and TMs with other freelancers without SDL Live Team or GroupShare Dec 9, 2020

Thank you Stepan. This is exactly the type of solution I was hoping for! I think I'll be able to live with the limitations for the time being. I had not thought of creating 3 TMs, this will be very helpful, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking to share SDL Trados files and TMs with other freelancers without SDL Live Team or GroupShare

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »