Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:04
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Oct 15, 2017

For certain reasons I am translating SDLXLIFF files in a different CAT tool. When I open it in Studio, I experience the following unwanted behaviour:

I have for instance the following source:
GAUGES AND INDICATORS
I have translated this as
INSTRUMENTER OG LAMPER

But when I hit Enter, this is automatically changed to
INSTRUMENTER OG LAMPER
without the tags, since Studio finds this segment without tags in the TM, even though the tags should
... See more
For certain reasons I am translating SDLXLIFF files in a different CAT tool. When I open it in Studio, I experience the following unwanted behaviour:

I have for instance the following source:
GAUGES AND INDICATORS
I have translated this as
INSTRUMENTER OG LAMPER

But when I hit Enter, this is automatically changed to
INSTRUMENTER OG LAMPER
without the tags, since Studio finds this segment without tags in the TM, even though the tags should be there.

I am pretty certain there is a setting I am overlooking that makes Studio behaving like this, but I have not been able to find it.

Does anyone recognise the behaviour and can tell me how to make Studio stop doing this? As it is I have to leave the segment unconfirmed to ensure that the tags are not deleted as soon as I hit Enter.
Collapse

Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TM searches for best match and replaces translation Oct 16, 2017

This may work:

Go to: File / Options / Editor / Automation

Under Translation Memory, if you have ticked 'Perform lookup when active segment changes', untick 'Apply best match after successful lookup'.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2017

You were right, the option was ticked, so I will try with this unticked.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 replaces a correct translation with a fuzzy one

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »